Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people manage to hold on to the positive when it does come around?
I have moments or even days where I can make sense of things, and it feels like nothing can change my mind. But then by the next day I have the exact opposite and I can't make sense of anything and my feelings and perspective completely change. It is like several different people.
The only thing I can compare it to is like, say if you really enjoyed a food like a doughnut one day, and then the next day you hated it. Or say you were allergic to peanuts one day, and the next you weren't?

Anyway does anyone have a coping mechanism for this sort of thing? Or does anyone ever feel this way?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi yes i get this ever since this started for me i will get good days that can last up to a week then i get pushed back again.
This has been happening ever since i deveopled dr dp , to be honest I don't know how i remain positive when i get pushed back to hell again , but i some how keep going .
I'm back to hell this morning for what seems like no reason what so ever, im feeling not so positive and I'm angry this has hit me hard again .
Are you going though the same ? Do you feel a bit better then go right back to bad again ?

·
Administrator
974 Posts
I think recovery is seldom, if ever, a straight line. People often say you have to expect that you will have bad days, so it's important not to be discouraged and be derailed from any progress you have been making. It can be frustrating and disheartening when you have been feeling better, then out of the blue you feel terrible again, but if you are aware that this is likely to happen, it becomes easier to have patience and accept it when it does. Be a friend to yourself at these times and try to accept however you are feeling unconditionally, even if that's hopeless, angry or frustrated. It's bad enough without adding to it so try to just allow it and let it pass without fighting. Take things easy when you are having bad days, but don't stop doing the good things that brought you the good days and you'll have more of them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's funny, because about a week ago I was having a bad day and then just said, 'I give up'. I gave up worrying about the way I felt because it just wasn't helping. But I could only even hold onto that feeling for about two days. It seemed so easy to reach at the time, now I have no idea how I even gave up. It's like that with each feeling or opinion I have every day. It will just change for no reason. It's hard to feel an attachment to yourself when you don't know who you are.

·
Administrator
974 Posts
It's funny, because about a week ago I was having a bad day and then just said, 'I give up'. I gave up worrying about the way I felt because it just wasn't helping. But I could only even hold onto that feeling for about two days. It seemed so easy to reach at the time, now I have no idea how I even gave up. It's like that with each feeling or opinion I have every day. It will just change for no reason. It's hard to feel an attachment to yourself when you don't know who you are.
Yep, on Wednesday I felt good - really clear about things, like I knew exactly what I needed to be doing, then yesterday I felt perplexed. At first my old habit of winding myself up about it kicked in, with thoughts about what I aught to be doing, what am I doing wrong etc, but then I remembered this thread and thought, oh yeah, this does happen, and just got on with things as best I could. Truth is, we're unlikely to ever really know what our minds are doing and it's best to just trust that it has a healing process and let it get on with it. I had a crap day, but then suddenly felt better and had a good night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts