Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning everyone.

Let me firstly say I am so relieved to find out what is wrong with me or at least I think I have. I think I am suffering from Dereaization but unlike most of the posts I have read and I haven't read lots just a few, most seem to have developed this follow a panic attack or very stressful event. Mine I think is the result of a minor brain injury. I had a motorbike accident about 4 years ago and have suffer with feeling like I am in a 'dream' ever since. Initially, it was almost constant but over the years I find it just flashes in and out, sometimes it can be 2 or 3 times a day others days it can be more like 10 but rarely now is it constant. I am, like everyone fully aware when it happens and it aggravates me greatly as often it is when I walk into a busy or crowded area, other times it can be when I arrive somewhere I visit regularly but haven't been there for a day or two. I also struggle immensely driving, I can no longer drive on motorways or any distance and have got to a point where I only drive just over a mile each day to and from work and then once a week I maybe do about 4 miles to go and do food shopping, other than that I refrain from driving totally. This is very distressing to me as prior to the accident driving was something I loved to do and would regularly just go out for a drive on my own, I would relish sharing the driving with my partner on long trips but now if I could give up driving totally I would, all I do every time I get into a car is wait for what I feel is the inevitable bang when I have an accident and I most certainly don't feel confident or in control, almost never remembering the actual journey. There's also other 'strange' things that occur and I don't know if they are anything to do with DR, sometimes when people speak directly to me the words just don't seem to make sense and I have to ask the to repeat what they have said, usually the second time I am able to pick up what they've said but am then aggravated with myself. Also I used to be a very social person, loved going out to parties, dinner parties or just with the crowd down at the pub but now it's dreadful, I have the feeling of 'not really being there' all of the time but even worse than that I can't actually make out whats being said, everything is just kind of 'muffled', if someone stands right by me and speaks directly to me then I'm ok but I find it impossible to join in the banter anylonger, I just feel so isolated.

I know each and everyone of you will probably have exactly the same things and I am hoping that although I am pretty certain I can never be free of this that maybe some of you can suggest how I can lessen the feelings total isolation.

Thanks for reading my rant

Woobear

·
Registered
978 Posts
Life isn't always linear. "it's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and get back up"...

You need a good neurologist, if it's a brain injury that's up to them to help... i could advice you but i'd just be using my research i'm not a doctor, so not going to play one. With the right treatment, what you had will come around again, might take a lot of hard work and searching, but boxers have had probably worse than what you are experiencing and some have made unbelievable recoveries..

My advice... Neurologist

1 - 2 of 2 Posts