Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in this ADHD med, which is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. I'm wondering if it is kind of similar to Provigil. Provigil is a med for narcolepsy, which makes me feel great in the short-term, and helps my DP until I come down off of it. Unfortunately, it craps out on me after a week or so, and I start getting depressed. It sucks coming down off the drug. It's pharmacology is somewhat ambiguous but is thought to work by being an adrenergic agonist and may have some effect on dopamine release and glutamate excitation. Being an adrenergic agonist is somewhat related to norepinephrine. Adrenaline is just another word for epinephrine. So, I wonder Strattera may have a similar effect. If you have tried Strattera or know anything about it, please let me know.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wish I understood why increasing levels of adrenaline/epinephrine(whatever you call it) helps calm a person down? Why do stimulant drugs calm kids down and help them concentrate? I would think it would work just the opposite. If Im not mistaken, effexor works on adrenaline along with serotonin and yet its prescribed for gad. The people I know who have taken it, claim its like taking a powerful stimulant. I dont want to take anything that increases adrenaline ANYWHERE in my body.

Joe

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always wondered that myself. I have no answer. As for Effexor, when you first start taking it, it can be very stimulating. With me it would keep me up, cause some anxiety, like your normal stimulant. After a while I think the serotonin kicks in and starts helping people's anxiety and panic disorder, meanwhile the norepinephrine is helping people's concentration. In my experience, it took at least a month to really notice any effect on GAD and panic disorder. The stimulant effects die down with time. If you really want to get wired, take effexor with wellbutrin. My mood was pretty good but sleeping is a serious struggle.

Noradrenaline is different from adrenaline. I don't think adrenaline is really a neurotransmitter. They think provigil is an alpha 1-adrenergic agonist. I know alpha receptors (at least some of them) are norepinephrine receptors. You'll never really see the word norepinephrine receptors like you do with serotonin and dopamine receptors. It's always alpha receptors.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I can understand how increasing adrenaline can help concentration, but I dont need any more concentration right now. I just want to relax. I wonder if the different names have to do with whats "made" in the brain and whats in the rest of the body that doesnt cross the bbb. Its all so confusing.

Joe

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure adrenaline doesn't cross the BBB. I need concentration and to be able to relax. What's your opinion on this moderate alcohol drinking and DP? I think my main question is do you think alcohol and trigger DP like drugs do?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think alcohol and any other potentially addictive drugs used, once in a great while, is ok, because your giving your brain and body time to recover. Its the daily use that can get you in real trouble.

Joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Efexor is an SNRI it inhibits the reuptake of noradrenaline witch will calm you down and seems to be effective against depresion/anxiety.
Adrenaline is a neurotransmitter but also a stresshormone.
I'm not sure if Efexor also acts as an SSRI as wel...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts