Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my doctor recommended me to a psychologist that performs EMDR to help a person cope with anxiety, PTSD, etc. I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and what their experience was with it. Lately my DP and anxiety have been through the roof so I'm willing to try anything.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Have you tried an EEG to determine if your DP and anxiety have a physical correlation? I was willing to try anything also. I read all the self help books on anxiety and depression. I had sessions of EMDR. Nothing seemed to help. It only frustrated and confused me as to why my symptoms

continued. One day I was researching British neurological texts and journals on the internet and I found a case history that approximated my own. I did further research and concluded I needed an EEG. The results showed "significant pathology in my temporal lobe". My panic spells

were actually temporal lobe seizures. Maybe that's why EMDR was ineffective?

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
continued. One day I was researching British neurological texts and journals on the internet and I found a case history that approximated my own. I did further research and concluded I needed an EEG. The results showed "significant pathology in my temporal lobe". My panic spells
Could you give me a link to that article?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried an EEG to determine if your DP and anxiety have a physical correlation? I was willing to try anything also. I read all the self help books on anxiety and depression. I had sessions of EMDR. Nothing seemed to help. It only frustrated and confused me as to why my symptoms
were actually temporal lobe seizures. Maybe that's why EMDR was ineffective?
My doctor said it is very unlikely that I'm having seizures because it's a 24/7 feeling. My DP never goes away

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I have had great luck with emdr. I haven't processed all my trauma and triggers have been popping up. I also had good luck with drumming which does utilize both sides of the brain
Thank you for your response! I don't really have any past trauma, but I do suffer from anxiety, especially health anxiety. I start my first EMDR session in about a week and I'm very hopeful that it will help. Can you tell me a little more about how they perform these sessions? I'm a little new to EMDR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ypur welcome.My experience was quite a long process. Basically you think of something that triggers your anxiety and under careful care of the therapist, they move a hand or something back and forth which you follow with your eyes until your anxiety is lessened or reduced

·
Registered
117 Posts
EMDR has helped me! I have anxiety based dpdr and have suffered short bouts of dpdr since I was younger from a turbulent childhood. (Now I've had it constantly for 8 months induced by heavy anxiety) I noticed my recovery starting when I began EMDR!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts