Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I tend to steer clear from the forums because I know that they make my DP worse, but I need to ask for help. Does anyone on these forums have any experience with a good psychologist in Sydney? particularly ones who have experience in helping people with dp/dr... Or even anywhere else in Australia. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
No. Sorry. I just thought I would make a comment about confidentiality. Confidentiality is a cloak that mental health service providers hide behind. To me, it smacks of shame. It allows them to operate without proper oversight. I'm not ashamed of my struggles with mental illness. I don't believe I have a "behavioral disorder". I'm actually proud.

Not the kind of pride that needs to go on parade or get in anyone's face. Just a quiet sort of pride because I know what I endured and what it took to come out on top. Now I will try to segue this concept into what you are asking for.

I wouldn't choose to have one person to confide in and give me advice about my mental health. I don't need a "confidante". I'm not sharing a secret. I'm not keeping secrets.

If you know and love me, then you get to know who I am. My mental health struggles are part of who I am. The key people in my life know who I am. I told them when I realized I wasn't going to be anyone else.

I would recommend you not choose a therapist or psychologist for the purpose of acting as a confidante. It is OK to have an illness and it is commendable to deal with it responsibly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts