Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, rTMS is something that gives me hope for a better future for the treatment of our disorder. I have spent a lot of time researching the current information out there on rTMS and DPD. It seems the results of improvement in DPD through rTMS studies have been much better than any medication trials.

I came across this new article about rTMS and DPD which gave me a feeling of hope as it shows that the researchers at King's College wish to further their research on the VLPFC rTMS for DPD:

http://gtr.rcuk.ac.uk/project/98EF0E34-D993-459F-9B3E-D3A953869BEA

So far they have done two small studies on DPD VLPFC rTMS (one in 2014 and one in 2016) with a total of 15 DPD people and 11 of 15 of them responded significantly to treament. If they get the grants to do this third study it will have results from 40 people with DPD and they will rule out placebo. So this will give us a much better indicator if this treatment really works.

Some quotes from the new article:

" The study will contribute to knowledge of emotional regulation in health and disease and if positive, will pave the way for a therapeutic trial of rTMS in DPD"

"If patients undergoing low frequency transcranial magnetic stimulation experience the predicted reduction of depersonalization scores, then a formal double-blind randomised controlled treatment trial would be justified to explore clinical applications."

Sounds good to me! I hope they get the grants and go through with this study

Also here's the links to the studies they have done already if you haven't seen them:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3968882/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4906152/

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
There is just one problem: The research grant you have found is from the past. The "Funded Period" is from 2012 to 2014. Perhaps this isn't about a "third study", but about the first. 'However in the abstract there are some significant differences to the first study, so I am not sure.

But there is another ongoing clinical of TMS, so if you live in France this could be for you:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02476435

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is just one problem: The research grant you have found is from the past. The "Funded Period" is from 2012 to 2014. Perhaps this isn't about a "third study", but about the first. 'However in the abstract there are some significant differences to the first study, so I am not sure.

But there is another ongoing clinical of TMS, so if you live in France this could be for you:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02476435
I think you are right TDX. I didn't notice the funded period dates. They didn't use sham TMS in the first study or have near as many people they are describing and I know the next step was to rule out placebo. This all led me to assume that it was a third study. Also the bottom of the page says last updated October 2017 but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Professor Anthony David did email me once saying they plan on doing a third and larger study if they receive grants. Oh well, at least there is the France study.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
They didn't use sham TMS in the first study or have near as many people they are describing and I know the next step was to rule out placebo. This all led me to assume that it was a third study.
Maybe they changed their plans once they had the money and so the end result were the 2 studies we know.

Professor Anthony David did email me once saying they plan on doing a third and larger study if they receive grants.
This would be certainly a good idea, however my hopes on TMS aren't very high. My expectation is that it might work in the shortterm, but the effects are not durable. Despite being researched for 2 decades as a treatment for many problems it is not really established for anything. It is approved for depression, but even there it's not a game changer. There has to be a reason for this and I speculate that it's effects generally don't last long. Maintenance treatments could solve this problem, but this would be extremely expensive. I hope I'm wrong and TMS for depersonalization turns out differently, but I think deep brain stimulation would be more worthwhile to explore, although it is more risky.

If you wanna try TMS for depersonalization disorder and you live in Britain, then you can get it if you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe they changed their plans once they had the money and so the end result were the 2 studies we know.

This would be certainly a good idea, however my hopes on TMS aren't very high. My expectation is that it might work in the shortterm, but the effects are not durable. Despite being researched for 2 decades as a treatment for many problems it is not really established for anything. It is approved for depression, but even there it's not a game changer. There has to be a reason for this and I speculate that it's effects generally don't last long. Maintenance treatments could solve this problem, but this would be extremely expensive. I hope I'm wrong and TMS for depersonalization turns out differently, but I think deep brain stimulation would be more worthwhile to explore, although it is more risky.

If you wanna try TMS for depersonalization disorder and you live in Britain, then you can get it if you are willing to pay.
I think it is too soon to draw conclusions either way for TMS and DPD. The results from the studies look really promising but they are too small to conclude anything. What really needs to happen is more trials and research but the pace they are going at is awfully slow. We don't know if the effects are only temporary for DPD but even if they are it's a lot better than nothing. I don't see TMS as becoming the "cure" for DPD but rather a way to reduce the severity of symptoms while being treated alongside psychotherapy and medication. My hopes are that research and technology in brain stimulation and DPD will keep continuing to improve and expand over the years. Like the deep brain stimulation you mentioned. Many years from now there will probably be a much better understanding of the brain and DPD and treatment options will be much more advanced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts