Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In my country every man has to serve country by going to army for 6-12 months. I really want to go but I am not sure if I can do it with my depersonalization and derealization. I have had this for 3-4 years, and I think it has gotten better. It came after smoking weed daily for a year. I also have anxiety and pretty bad insomnia if I stress about something happening next day. I also sometimes get OCDish thoughts about getting psychosis or schizophrenia and losing control of myself, I have got these thoughts after getting depersonalization. My biggest fear in army is that I cant sleep there for days and go crazy. (you sleep there from 22-5, sometimes 4 hours a day if youre in jungle) I think too much about sleep and stress about it every night. I am able to work normally with my problems, I have only been 2 days off in 1 year period from work because I couldnt sleep all night. I would go to army 1 year from now. There is option for non-military service, where u just work for example in library or something, but I dont want to, I would like to go to army and do cool stuff. Do you think I should do it or should I just accept im not capable of doing what most men in my country can do? There is pretty big social pressure too about going to army in my country.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is a tricky thing to answer. Do you think you could meet with a professional to discuss your issues before joining?

You said you have a year, so maybe airing out your issues with a psychologist could help you better understand how to cope with it in the military.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I didnt have to go because i went to the doctor and explained my situation. I'm super grateful that i didnt have to go. If you think u can handle it then more power to ya, but i know for me getting out of it was most likely for the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts