Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of work because my dpdr has been so bad I've been scared I wouldn't be able to function in a work setting.

I've decided to go back to work because at this point I don't care about anything and I need money.

Will I be okay working again?

Has anyone else had to go back to work while dealing with dpdr?

·
Registered
445 Posts
It really depends. In years past i was high functioning with my disorder and I could work with few problems. Apart from being taken aside once to talk about my lowering attention to detail.

In my latest round of DP I tried to go back and finish my training to be a dietitian. Basically my supervisor took me for a coffee and said "look we know you're not okay". And she was 100% right. I was a mess. and so bad I couldn't even override it with my professionalism. I went home. And so for most of the time it hasn't been appropriate for work.

At the moment, I'm job hunting but for part time and nothing serious. When things are so problematic you gotta apply yourself intelligently, knowing what you can and cannot do. I've realised from my mistakes that if you push yourself too hard at the wrong time, you will just fall flat on your face.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna try I'm in a really bad situation right now.my spouse doesn't work I have no car I'm staying with his people.Ive worked forever until all this happened and I wish I could take time to focus on my mental health but that's just not my reality.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I regret quitting work because I did not feel well, when I quit I even began to feel worse. I got so much time left that I spend in bed and all that. And now I am to lethargic and depressed to start working again. I think working is better if you're able to do it. A simple job

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yikes. What were your job responsibilities there? Were they okay for a "not okay" person to do?
I was a pre-registered dietitian. I had to do ward rounds looking after patients and clinics where i would need to go through stuff with other patients. You had to be on the ball, it's not a coasting job.

At the time I was an absolute space cadet. My speach was short and abrupt, sweating, unable to think straight, panic attacks. It was a nightmare i shouldn't have even been there. In 2020 I'm a lot smoother and come accross well even though i'm sprta dying inside. Ha

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve never stopped working lol no matter how bad I felt. I never liked just staying home, I’m a busy body and I mean, no ones gonna pay my bills so I have no choice. But you’ll be okay, if it’s a job you’re comfortable with and enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts