1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glasses? Do They Trigger?
I wear glasses and yes, they can trigger my dp/dr.925.00%
I wear glases, but they've never triggered my dp/dr.1541.67%
I don't wear glasses, but I can empathize, as I've had similar experiences. (Explanation requested)12.78%
Don't wear glasses, don't know what you're talking about.1130.56%

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems like a small thing, I know, but I've noticed that my wearing glasses can sometime contribute heavily to my dpdr experience. If the rims of my glasses sit too low on my nose, they can sometimes frame my vision in ways that emphasize the 'watching a television' experience that some sufferers say serves to place them outside their grasp of reality.

I don't qualify for a LASIK review for another two years, so it's something that I'm going to have to deal with, but I was curious if anyone else found a similar reaction.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think I understand what you mean. I don't think it trigger it but I think glasses can make dp worse. When my vision is weird and I see eveything as if there are a lot of glass before me, then the glasses is like another glass before my eyes. When my vision gets bad I feel a little better after removing my glasses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know.

Maybe if your vision is fuzzy rather than clear it helps - since derealisation is often very much visual rather than anything else.

Ever tried sun/tinted glasses or anything else?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all

I definitely think glasses made my DP worse. When i got them i didnt know that i had DP i thought it was still depression and anxiety from marijuana withdrawals. I never wore glasses before I decided to get them because at the time I thought that doing something positive for myself will help me with my depression. I went from not wearing glasses ever because before my situation i always refused to, to wearing glasses with a -4.00 in my right eye and like -1.75 in my left eye, even when you are perfectly normal that is hard to get used too, it definitely made my DP worse and I feel better when I take them off, but im stuck with wearing them because my eyes got used to them so i have to wear them. I asked about lasik at wal-mart vision center where i got my glasses and i was told to wait two years where my vision needs to be steady and then i could do it, but i will re-check with the lasik people about that ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jojo said:
I think contact lenses make dr much worse...so much better when I take them out and put my glasses on!!!! No idea why!
Wow I have said this to my docs and eye care professionals many times. My contacts make things worse (never did prior to 3 years ago) now I have to switch to glasses to keep better balance and reality. Couldn't believe I read what you said and someone else experiences this. Mind you, I wore contacts all my life and no issues until this came on 3 years ago. Now DR is with me ...... it's nutty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wear glasses and I used to feel a LOT better without them. I used to have days where I always wore my glasses indoors, then days where I didn't, just to see if there was a real difference. But then got new glasses and I started to feel worse all the time I wore them, it doesn't go if I take them off, if anything it gets worse because I can't see that much and it makes me feel vulnerable without them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts