Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I used to go on this forum a while ago but it is probably over 3-4 years since I have been on here. I have completely 'recovered' (I use

this term very reluctantly) and I thought I would share some of the things I have learnt with the rest of you. It has been a slow process

but what has helped me is looking at life from a Taoist and Buddhist perspective. I first came into contact with these philosophies

through listening to lectures by Alan Watts, A Western philosopher who teaches Eastern ways of thinking. The main points of the

Buddhist way of thinking about life are as follows (This is very brief and partly my interpretation):

- Don't think of reality as a something you are observing! This is a massive problem for DP'ers. Think of reality as something you are

a part of. You are not in conflict with it.

- Stop trying to Control everything! You need to realise that by trying to cling onto you 'self' or 'ego' you are creating anxiety through

trying to cling onto something that cannot be clung to. For example you cannot cling onto something fluid, like a wave, so STOP

TRYING!

- Embrace the fact that you and everyone you know are going to die. Try to see this not as a terrible thing but as a perfectly natural

process like being born. After all think how blissful it will be having to burdens, no ego to worry about!

I know that some of you will think I am talking a load of BS and this i just some sort of nonsense that should be left to hippies to

discuss over a joint but please take the time to just listen and learn a little bit about this way of thinking about life. It helped me

tremendously.

p.s Here is a link to an good Alan Watts lecture:

I feel the section 25.30 - 40.00 mins in the video is particularly relevant to people with DP.

I really hope this helps you, If you have any questions email me at [email protected]

thanks.

Jamie

·
Registered
541 Posts
ya this is the stuff that will help everyone for the most part. its just putting into practice and not constantly ruminating which the tiresome part. theres always something to "worry" about and its training the brain to not do this that becomes the important part/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.