Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've read countless recovery stories on here about how people just woke up one day and were fine and people who it happened gradually for but I'm just wondering if anyone actually really completely recovers?

I had DP and DR in summer 2015 and it wa bad for about year. Eventually I stopped thinking about existential stuff constantly and didn't feel so anxious about it which is great, but it's now 2017 and whilst I can live a normal life and don't constantly think about existentialism, whenever I DO think about it I just feel the same as I used to. Scared and sad because I don't know the answers and I never will. I'll never be sure of my own reality ever again and I don't know how people recover from it honestly. I don't know whether they actually truly believe in their reality again or if they're like me and just ignore it and can have a good time, but get scared when they do think about it again. I admit it's a lot better Han it used to be, but this is not the life I want. To be scared of the thought that my life is pointless and not real. I truly don't think I'll ever feel settled when I think about that stuff again. I really wish I could be like those people who recovered who can just go "god I was so SILLY for thinking that, it's so funny to me now haha!" Did I just suffered for too long? Anyone else in the same boat/recovered from the same thing I am going through?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My own opinion is that once you still fear DP coming back theres always the potential for a relapse....

The word RECOVERED means different things for different people....

To me you are totally recovered if you are medicine free, do not fear DP coming back and experience none of the symptoms any more....Simple as that.....

Im sure there are lots of people who have totally recovered and then there are lots of people who have learned to live with and manage their DP (like myself) either with or without meds....

I actually dont like when people who take meds regularly write stories claiming full recovery when in fact the meds are the thing keeping them in check.....You will often find they write about lifestyle changes and diet and exercise etc did lots for their recovery along with the meds....My own opinion is that the med has done all the work and has actually given them back the ability to make the lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise etc....

But thats just my black and white opinion....You either are or you arent....Theres no in bewteen for me....

I think that for people who have recovered without meds that first of all their DP wasnt that extreme in the first place and secondly their DP faded over time on its own but they put it down to exercise, hobbies diet changes etc....Really what they did was distract them selves long enough for it to fade away...Unfortunately when youve had DP, anxiety and depression to the extreme that ive experienced many times over the years distraction is not an option...

DP in its chronic form requires medicine to ease it....

Again thats just my black and white opinion.....

If you have FULLY recovered from the chronic form of DP without meds I hold my hands up to you...Cos thats quite the achievement youve accomplished.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't beget yet weird unreality feelings of DP/DR anymore unless I'm particularly angry, what my problem is is that although they're not constant anymore, I still get the existential questions. My issue is that I can't answer them so I feel I'll never be content with my life again now that I've opened up this door and asked my self all of these "is he world real" questions

·
Registered
251 Posts
-------------TRIGGER WARNING--------------

Give me existential thoughts over DP any day.

The thing with DP is that you could have accidentally skipped a step while going up some stairs and next thing you know, you are over-analizing the crap out of it and it distorsts your reason when really you just skipped a step, no big deal.

I always had existential thoughts before DP, I even went through an episode of solipsism. But guess what? As unsettling as solipsism was I still was able to recognize the self -- me!

DP distorts every reason or logic you may possess, well not always and not all depending how bad your DP is.

I fear this too, that maybe this DP experience will leave me with some strange residual thoughts of life after I recover from it.

But guess what again! Prior to DP you still had a life that couldnt be proven to be real. What is real? Your five senses are the only things that tell yoy what is out there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel like derealization thoughts aren'tsomething that can be "cured" because it's mainly just anxiety over the thoughts you get. It isn't a mental or physical illness, it's just our own anxiety over the world not being real, and that will never go away because I'll never know. So there is no cure for me, I'm always going to be scared the world isn't real. There's nothing I can do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts