Depersonalization Support Forum banner

General anaesthetic

903 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  KJames 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone.

Before I got chronic DP, I had been to the dentist and on the first occasion, I was given gas and air that took me into DP hell and subsided the next day. The second visit they administered the wrong local anaesthetic, giving me an injection with adrenaline in it sent me into DP panic attack (palpitations/screaming/crying/Hysteria).

There is a chance that I have to have surgery under general anaesthetic (a necessary operation) and am petrified that my DP will be worse after I come round. I know this sounds morbid but I would rather die in the theatre than end up stuck in a DP state as I was a year ago, when I first got chronic DP, forever.

Any advice?

#2 ·
Thanks for your response ASM. When I had Nitrous oxide I was almost paralysed. Do you know why The injection with adrenaline would have given me such a DP panic attack? Was it just the adrenaline being put in too fast?

Do they normally use NO with GA for minor operations?

Appreciate your advice.

#4 ·
I'd doubt they'd bother with Nitrous if using a GA as you're already unconscious from that, though of course I'm no anesthetist.

This is probably a stupid question but I take it a local isn't an option?

#5 ·
Thanks Alan.

Unfortunately Local isn't an option. I will find out for sure over the next few weeks if I have to have the operation...fingers crossed that I don't. Could really do with focusing on my DP recovery instead of anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.