Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
You may have heard of selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), or serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) but what about gaba reuptake inhibitors (GRIs)? Since I heard of the first two, I was curious to know if there was a such thing as a similar medication but acts on gaba instead. It turns out such a thing exists but there's not many out there, they aren't well known and there isn't a big classification for them. Now, I'm far from an expert on neurotransmitters and how they operate inside the brain, so it would be illiterate for me to say SSRIs/SNRIs and GRIs operate in the similar way because they are very different neurotransmitters and thinking about a gaba equivalent seems like petty wishful thinking based upon how effective medications that affect gaba are, so I am certainly not an expert on this kind of stuff but it is interesting to know that medications and compounds of this nature exist, and there is one used off label for the treatment of anxiety and panic attacks called "Tiagabine", which is considered to be in this class, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiagabine. As someone who isn't savvy on neurological health, I still like to bring information that's not too common out there to light, especially to people who are looking to seek treatment and alternative options.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts