Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Forthcoming DPD/dreams study.

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Absent 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello.

Dr Ciaunica at UCL in London is looking for people who have received a diagnosis of DPD to participate in an online study into their dreams. This would require 15 minutes of dream reports per day for 15 days. They pay 40 GBP for this. An interesting path of research, I would say. For further information she can be contacted here: a.ciaunica@ucl.ac.uk

Further details now added below! (26.4.21)

#2 ·
Hi Absent,

Did you apply for the study? I'm asking out of curiosity.

I do not consider myself DPDR any more, so I didn't apply, but it would be interesting to see how do they even approach the highly subjective accounts of dreams that people have, and draw some conclusions based on that...

Best,

A.

#3 ·
Hello Anna,

I was asked to participate in this study and I agreed to, but she is gathering a control sample etc. at this stage. So I am waiting to hear further details of what the 15 minute daily reports will involve. I am also curious about what areas of dreams are of interest when, as you say, they are so subjective and affected by non-DP factors too. Perhaps the quality of dreams would be significant, rather than content. I.e. how that compares to the unreal experiences in daily DPRD? I will wait to see how this study is structured. Interesting. James

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
This study about depersonalisation and dreams, is now open for people to register an interest in participating.

To be included, you must be

a) formally diagnosed with DPD
b) between 18 and 65 years old
c) need to commit to participating for 15 days in a row (it's mandatory).

Below I have copied in further info from the researchers. It includes the email address to register your interest.

<<<<
Dear all,

We would like to invite you to express your interest in taking part in an online study exploring the relationship between dreams and depersonalisation.

Who can take part?

Participants aged between 18 years old and 65 years old, formally diagnosed with Depersonalisation/Derealisation Disorder.

What is the commitment?

First, we need to decide whether you are eligible for the study. To do so, you will need to fill an initial questionnaire regarding potential mental health symptoms including DPD, your diagnosis and treatment details, questions regarding your sleep quality and a general dream questionnaire (it takes 20-35 minutes to complete).

If you are eligible, then we will contact you back with instructions.

But basically you will need to do two things for 15 days in a row:

Each morning, when you wake up, you will need (i) to freely describe in your own words your dreams (if any); and ( ii) complete a short questionnaire. Don't worry if you can't recall your dreams every day, or you don't have any. You will simply have to state so.
The same day, each evening, before you go to sleep, you will have to complete another short questionnaire

What do I get out of it?

You will be reimbursed a flat compensation of 40GBP for your time. You will help researchers better understand this under-acknowledged yet widely spread and distressing condition.

If you are interested in taking part in this study, please drop us an email at : dpddream@gmail.com

Please note that this is only an expression of interest and not the study proper. The study proper will begin only after you have received the Information Sheet and signed the Informed Consent form. We do have ethics approved for this study ( cf attached).

We can only test 25 participants (because of the limited budget) and the slots will be offered on the first-come/first-served basis, hence we strongly encourage you to express your interest at your earliest convenience, in order to secure your slot.

If you have any questions regarding this study, please do not hesitate to contact Dr Anna Ciaunica at : a.ciaunica@ucl.ac.uk and/or Dr Helge Gillmeister at : helge@essex.ac.uk

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email!

Best wishes,

Anna &Helge

Dr. Anna CIAUNICA

Institute of Philosophy Porto, Portugal &

Research Associate - Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
Alexandra House, Queen Square
London - WC1N 3AR

Reactions: AnnaGiulia
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.