Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I understand that not everyone gets the "blunted emotions" aspect of DP/DR (correct me if I'm wrong), but for those who do, how do you deal with it?

This is the symptom, in my mind, that truly makes us the living dead. All day, every day, there is no fluctuations in my mood... no pleasure, no pain, no excitement, no fear (in the normal sense). There is just this unwavering emptiness. Is this not similar to major depression? Except unlike the people who are strictly majorly depressed, we have been literally cut from our emotions? Or perhaps this is the true mechanism behind major depression as well?

I'm looking for coping methods, or activities that have given some people hints of emotion again. I find I am not truly interested in anything anymore. I watch TV but just stare blankly, not really following the story. I come on here to read posts, but mostly just to keep myself occupied. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Magneto

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally feel the same way you do in regards to emotions. i force myself to partcipate in most aspects of life. I understand where you are coming from its like my soul has been ripped out of me and the things that I use to enjoy or should I say the things I had an extreme passion for are no longer present. Sex is not the same, my outdoors activites that gave me immense pleasure(fishing/hunting) are not there anymore and those intense emotions(hi/lows) with everyday life just aren't the same. i can say that the only emotion that I feel remotely connected to is anger. i don't know why but I feel more normal when i am angry. Thats about the only time I feel "normal". does anyone else feel this way? This is not normal depression cause I have been thru that and it just did not feel the same. I remember when I was clinically depressed i could still managed some type of response to my favorite pastimes. Trust me this is a horse of a different color.

·
Registered
749 Posts
totally there with no emotions, i can cry, and cry and cry, etc, but nothing else is there, got the feeling my face will crack if a smile did appear :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi.... i feel exactly the same magneto. Even when I am laughing hysterically with a friend, I am not feeling the joy of this laughter. It seems I am watching myself and wondering..."how can i possibly be laughing, i feel nothing". Usually i'll try to meet up with a good friend of mine to see if it helps, but it seems that it's not a case of trying to be in a better mood coz even when i am happy i don't feel it anyway. Last week I was feeling very down and guilty. my partner is being very supportive and trying to understand but i can see that he is sad and probably frustrated and just wants me to come back to normal...anyway..I turned all of my attention on him. When i saw the sadness in the eyes of the person I have loved and cherished for 3 years i became very angry with this dp. I found that this anger helped me a bit to feel "something".. Not normal but glimpses of my self and my feelings... It was weird but it felt good. i don't know why but it seems i feel better if i am crying or angry. So far i haven't found any activities that decrease my dp but i often find sometimes if i am busy and concentrated on something i don't notice it as much. However.. it's not often i can concentrate!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I understand that not everyone gets the "blunted emotions" aspect of DP/DR (correct me if I'm wrong), but for those who do, how do you deal with it?

This is the symptom, in my mind, that truly makes us the living dead. All day, every day, there is no fluctuations in my mood... no pleasure, no pain, no excitement, no fear (in the normal sense). There is just this unwavering emptiness.
I feel EXACTLY! the same way!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts