Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop telling people that. That scares the shit out of people that are newer and that haven’t had it that long and makes them think they will. Sorry you have but stop.

·
Contributor
231 Posts
Stop telling people that. That scares the shit out of people that are newer and that haven't had it that long and makes them think they will. Sorry you have but stop.
Why? I think it helps people realize that this could very well last a while. Its delusional and not conducive to tell everyone that you wont have it for longer than a few months.

I also like posting that I've had it for a few years because it shows others that there is hope no matter how far down the rabbit hole you've gone. I get where you're coming from though.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The problem only arises when people who have had it for years start telling everybody else there is no way out.....This has never happened on here as far as im aware....

The sooner everybody on here realises that we are all different and will recover in our own ways and at our own pace the better....

The fact is there is no one size fits all as regards recovering from this crap....You will find that some recover completely without meds....some (like myself) live with it long term BUT it is under control with the help of meds and as a result i live a pretty normal life...Others just learn to live with it....

It also depends on the level of suffering as to what does and doesnt work as regards treating this crap...

I wonder if you went to a doctor and he/she told you that it will go away in a few weeks if you just take this pill every day and then months later you were still in hell....I wonder what would you think then....You would probably wanna sue his/her ass for malpractice.......

People who have had it for years are just being honest....Its up to the people reading their posts to realise that their own case is completely different....Its the classic DP sufferer taking negative stuff and running with it...

Everybody is different and will recover in a different way at a different pace....Some long term sufferers will live with it as a controlled illness....

People on here have got to stop jumping to conclusions when they read a certain persons negative post or experience....

Its exactly why there used to be bullshit "Trigger Alerts" on posts and its also the reason people used to preach about staying away from the site (that its bad and alot of the posts are negative and will just make you feel worse) This is such bullshit....Its actually a classic avoidance technique...In fact the opposite is true in my opinion...If you want to learn to get over this crap you have to learn to desensitize yourself to the symptoms and fears by exposing yourself to them...Otherwise known as "desensitization".......Which in fact is the most common way to treat all fears and phobias...

The other thing to remember is that if you dont feel comfortable reading something or dont agree with what it says just throw it into your mental thrash can where it belongs....Banish it along with all the other negative crap DP throws at ya....

In my own case if its not positive and encouraging and useful to me I just leave it where it belongs (on the shit pile)....I apply this in all areas of my life nowadays...It may sound a bit fantasist and extreme but toxic people, places, thinking patterns, media coverage etc etc etc have no place in my life now....Because to me thats a hell of alot better than absorbing constant negative shit day in day out....No wonder people depress themselves (I did it myself for years by focusing on negativity) Of course I absolutely know how hard it is to think positive whilst in the throws of chronic DP...Its practically impossible...I have just applied this way of life since I got a grip on my DP....Guess what??? My DP is kept at bay nowadays...

·
Registered
168 Posts
"That scares the shit out of people that are newer and that haven't had it that long and makes them think they will." well, they very well might.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"That scares the shit out of people that are newer and that haven't had it that long and makes them think they will." well, they very well might.
ya but when ur first experiencing it its very very excruciating and terryifying. Maybe once they settle through it it'd be better to say they might have it for a while but they'll probly end up figuring it out their self. I'm only saying that bc I know when it first happened to me there was no word to describe the horror it was putting me through and all I wanted was help bc I didn't know what was happening to me I thought I was dying. I came on here as a newbie just desperately wanting help...it's a very horrible thing. It took me about 3 years for my suffering to go down 1% so as someone first getting it I would think its best to wait for them to let it sit with them bc telling them that will most likely make it worse

Reactions: luluinthefog
1 - 6 of 6 Posts