Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm not the first to the party on the topic of Bartonella, but it's a bacterial infection that causes brain inflammation which in turn causes depersonalization (or dissociative symptoms often grouped under the DPDR umbrella). The Neurologist I'm working with has seen dissociation in so many people and has cured them with antibiotics, because they had an infection they didn't know they had. I made a relatively short youtube video about this - I'll leave it here:

Just know that for many of you there is a physical cause for depersonalization - and therefore a clear path out of it. If any of you have questions after watching the video, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
75 Posts
He didn't say that 100% of of dp is caused by lyme & coinfections but that it's simply a thing to consider if you aren't aware of any psychological causes & can't get a grip on it with a healthy lifestyle & distraction. He was very clear on that which I appreciate as everybody says it's caused by this that and the other thing and not taking into consideration all the combinations of factors that can cause it, which can be different for everybody. The mechanism seems to be the same though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few things here.

Lolwhat, your primary care physician will almost certainly give you an antibody test, which will only test you for Lyme antibodies. To my knowledge, Lyme doesn't cause depersonalization, Bartonella does - I tested negative for Lyme through Igenex labs (which has the most thorough and accurate testing), but positive for Bartonella on multiple tests. I'd recommend you find a LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) near you to get you the accurate treatment and testing, because many GPs have never even heard of Bartonella. Feel free to post back here or message me if you have any questions.

Autonomic, I'm not saying that everyone here has Lyme, and I'm not saying that everyone that has Lyme has DP. I'm aware that it IS the minority of Lyme & Co. patients, but a sizable minority nonetheless. I've met exactly 10 people who've had neurological Bartonella infections, and 8 of them had dissociative symptoms. My point was if you can't attribute the DPDR to a specific and acute traumatic / drug induced event, it's worth taking a look at.

Mana, my protocol was Bactrim DS and Doxycycline, these two taken in combination treat Bartonella effectively. I was in DP for several months before beginning treatment, and once I combined these two drugs, my DP levels lowered A LOT in under 2 weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps I shouldn't have said (most). However, I have a strong feeling through my own anecdotal experiences that it could be many more than you'd suspect. Anyway, as for Bartonella, I'm not sure the precise name of the test, but my LLMD set it up for me. I do know that it was through Galaxy labs, (which, as I mentioned in the video, is known to have the most accurate Bartonella testing by far) and if you go to their website I'm sure you could figure out some way to be accommodated.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree with a lot of what is being said in this post from all sides. Lyme & co., as well as DP, are convoluted issues.

I'm one of the people who, I believe, has always had some degree of DP (for me, the weed and the other trauma seemed to be confirmation that something was wrong with me, they didn't cause the "weird" feelings). I basically told doctors that I feel like I have syphilis. So when I found out about Lyme, and having lived and grown up in Minnesota, it seemed like a possibility.

I tested negative with the infectious disease doctor, but floridly positive through Igenix. My LLMD also diagnosed me clinically with Bartonella and Babesia. This was in 2014. Over the next 2.5 years I took a variety of combinations of medication, antibiotics, oral and IV. The only symptoms that seemed to markedly improve were, ironically my gastrointestinal symptoms. I'm grateful for that, but unfortunately, they didn't do my for the much more consequential neurological symptoms, including DP / DR.

I stopped the IVs last August. Now I feel back to square one. In my case it just may be that more or less permanent damage has been done that I just have to "live" with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chip, can I ask how long you'd had DP symptoms before you underwent treatment, and did the treatment provide any relief at all? I've been treating with Bartonella drugs for only about 2 weeks and I'd say i've had a 50% cut in my dp or so.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Chip, can I ask how long you'd had DP symptoms before you underwent treatment, and did the treatment provide any relief at all? I've been treating with Bartonella drugs for only about 2 weeks and I'd say i've had a 50% cut in my dp or so.
First, let me say I'm glad to hear you are finding relief. It seems clear that your DP is at least partly, if not wholly, bartonella induced.

It's hard to say when I first got symptoms of dp. I basically divide my life into pre-2004 (when I thought I was just an introverted deep thinker, but mostly still functional) and after that, when I became so spaced-out that other people don't exist and mind cheater that just wouldn't let me rest, plus attacks that resembled stroke or meningitis (definitely not traditional panic attacks).

As I said before, the gastrointestinal symptoms seemed to markedly improve, but I never noticed much change in the DP or cognitive issues. I know treatment of Lyme and co can be lengthy and trial and error, but I figured 1.5 years of oral and 1 year of IV antibiotics (as well as a ridiculous amount of supplements and herbs) should produce some effect if my symptoms were due to chronic infection. As I said previously I may just have permanent damage.

However I'm a big fan of spreading the word about Lyme & co on this forum. Especially for those of us who didn't have an obvious triggering moment.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think you meant Galaxy Diagnostics, not Galaxy Labs. Anyway, far too expensive for me unfortunately, so not an option.

I have had strange feint stretch marks on my thighs & buttocks since I was a teenager, always wondered why as I was quite thin. Maybe I do have an infection after all. Never been bitten by a tick, but have been bitten to death by fleas many times over many years.

Currently suffering from some antibiotic induced gut upset (four months & counting with little to no improvements), & have developed life threatening allergies against many different antibiotics. So, even if I spend all my life savings getting tested I couldn't get treated without potentially dying from an allergic reaction &/or making my gut issue 10x worse.

Slowly but surely coming to the inevitable conclusion that I am well & truly FUBAR!
I'm sorry to hear that :(

Have you tried experimenting with a non-antibiotic route? Herbs and such? Might be worth a shot, with less risk of dying (though it can be expensive as none of it is covered by insurance).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right I did mean Galaxy Diagnostics... Fleas are known to transmit Bartonella. I would guess you have something infectious that you certainly can't "think" your way out of. Stretch marks are hallmark. I agree with chip - some people are able to cure or at least alleviate Bartonella symptoms with just herbs. I'd look at Buhner's protocol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Space Monkey, it's true that they're common but if you're a relatively thin guy with this constellation of symptoms, I'd err on the side of skepticism /suspicion when it comes to bacterial infections like these. I know people who are obsessed with Lyme and Co, and I'm not one of the people going around declaring that everybody has Lyme. I actually have a friend with DPDR induced by MDMA - my point is given all of your health troubles I would think that if at all possible it would be in your best interest to try to get the Galaxy testing done. I know how bad DPDR sucks and I really am just trying to look out for you and anyone who's going through it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Galaxy Diagnostics testing is way out of my price range, as I have already mentioned. The only thing I could do is get my GP to test me again, & this time ask for both a Western Blot and an Elisa test.
Given that you are struggling with antibiotics anyways, testing seems like a waste of time and money. What good would a positive or negative test be, other than to inform your doc about which antibiotics to put you on? Might as well just skip it and experiment with some supplements or herbs that are said to help with bartonella (or at least with the particular symptoms that you are struggling with).

·
Registered
631 Posts
I suppose if you are overly sensitive to medications and supplements and are allergy-prone, experimenting is not nececarily the best idea. I'm pretty much the opposite. I hardly respond to any medications at all. Even those that are supposed to have an immediate functional impact.

I know when i was trying to figure this all out and I was research Lyme & co., it was so confusing to an already brain-fogged mind, and just about everything regarding Lyme is controversial anyways, so it was impossible for me to trust any test, or anything my doctor said. So I just experimented with everything, figuring life couldn't get much worse than it is right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.