Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a thread designated to this subject.

Basically, I'm only interested in those here who have experimented with certain diets, or intaking particular foods, and the mental/emotional association you've seen with these substances. If you've taken no particular interest in the subject, I don't really think it's neccessary to post in this thread. I do realize that in such an intensified piece of shit state like most of us here are in, we don't have the conscious ability to practice proper diets and experiment with such, so I don't expect a good number of responses. Still, I think that's totally fine, I think it would be nice to have an informative post on individual's unique experience with food and its all-around effects, without spontaneous, irrelevant posts thrown in (I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just trying to be kindly serious with this point).

At the very least, maybe it will bring Ninja back.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interesting article on sugar:

http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/adisease/add-adhd/sugar.html

"Sugar is, by far, the greatest addiction in the United States. It is far more excessive than all other forms of substance abuse combined. Yet little attention is given to this insidious condition and the slow but surely destructive consequences of its abuse."

At the turn of the last century, a mere 100 years ago, diabetes was number 100 on the list of frequency of illnesses. That meant that there were 99 other diseases that you could get more readily than diabetes. Today diabetes is number three on that same list. What could possibly change so dramatically to cause diabetes to become an epidemic?

G

·
Jason,

I just got the book "Potatos Not prozac". It sounds like what you are getting to here in this thread. I also know a bit about the candida connection. I am going to read your link. Have you found reducing sugars helpful?

Carla

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya Carla,

Cutting out sugars has helped me ENORMOUSLY. I think it was a crucial step in my (continuing) road towards wellville. I've posted this here before, but, what got me through it (or rather, what got me through it much easier than probably would have been otherwise) was coconut oil and garlic, especially the latter. Taking a few cloves of garlic was my strategy to fight candida (which I was actually experimenting with; I'm not sure if I actually had a case of it), and there was an immediate effect after it got in my system. The bottom line was that I did have sugar cravings, like most people, and after about two weeks on garlic, sugar didn't really seduce me anymore.

I don't even LOOK at refined sugars anymore, with any sort of lust or desire. It's a wonderful thing, I tell you. I'm still not emotionally glossed over, but I am convinced the best way to treat DP/DR and most other illnesses, is holistically... i.e. some form of therapy or whatever YOUR crux is, but also (and only now hold this belief due to personal experience) taking care of your body, and the most important part there is what you put in it.

I've done a lot of experimenting, well a little, as far as dietary changes. Currently, and really this is even different from but a week ago, I take in 6-8 servings of vegetables (blended, or steamed), 6-8 servings fruit (blended, generally), fish, nuts, some meatballs or chicken wings, and a sandwich (a few, if I work a long shift). The latter is my vice, unfortunately, as I'm taking in grains that I'm almost fully off of, but currently I don't have any other ideas on portable meals. Just added the fruits recently, and I must say the exponential increase in energy has been overwhelming, and I think this is due to the fact that I'm now getting adequate amounts of fiber, probably even more than recommended. For so long I've felt very "backed up", or constipated, and taking in the fruits has greatly enhanced the feeling, making me feel much lighter. Good stuff, that fruit.

I think the best advice to give anyone, really, as far as dietary advice, is to eliminate refined sugar. That's gotta be #1 on the list. It's such an awful, awful substance -- with no redeeming qualities whatsoever -- and listen, we're at a time in Human evolution when there's so much research and experience being made to diet, you just can't dismiss it all. We're opening up to a wide field of information on health, and trust me, the all-day benefits of eating healthy are sooo much more gratifying than eating a few Snickers bars a day. I can attest to that. I don't think Jesus would have been chomping on a mars bar if he was still around (oh he IS, you say?); you probably wouldn't have seen Gandhi at Crispy Cream; you won't see that whacky Yoga sage over... there... purchasing a box of Oreo Cookies. What's my point? I'm lame. Furthermore, though, experience/emotions go hand in hand with the food you take in, and if you're at a level of high health, energy, consciousness, you will not be taken in my Satan's sugary goodies!

Hmm... :roll:

G

·
Jason,

I love you serious topic with your added humor at the end! I agree, I agree, I agree!!! I just am so .... well, all or nothing!!! When I got hit with the dp/dr after the birth of my daughter, I went completely off sugar and refined anything! It was fairly easy because, for the first time in my life, I didn't want to eat! I was a mess, for sure. I did so many things in those first 2 months, (herbs, hormones, antidepressants, hydroxozine, daily walks and strict diet) it's hard to say what had the most impact. I did recover but only for a short while. I went off the anti depressent and felt like I was almost fully recovered. I cannot remember if I started toeat sugar again but it's likely. Anyway, I had a huge relapse and again tried a no sugar diet. I stayed off the antidepressents. I tried the hormones again. I went to the Bastyr College of Natural Medicine here in Seattle and they put my on a homeopathy remody. Nothing cut the mustard. I called all over the states and talked to as many post partum "experts" as I could. They all said, "Go back on the Zoloft". so, I finally did. I have relapses of panic attacks (which is always followed by days, weeks or months of dp/dr) but they have gotton frewer and farther apart with less intensity at each one. I have tried twice to wean off the Zoloft and I can feel the "scary" feelings coming back so I go back to my 100mg dose.

I never wanted to take antidepressants. I had a home birth and was ready for this all natural type of parenting. Things have changed.

I need to kick myself back in butt again and get back with the diet program and just see how much better I can do. My naturopath has options that are holistic to try with me for anxiety to help me get off the antidepressants. I just haven't been willing to do the work yet. And, I do get scared to go off the meds. I hate like everything to back to the HELL that this crippling disease can take you.

Thank you for your time.

Carla

G

·
Whaddup fellow DP/DR comrades, (no I'm not russian, lol, but we ARE fighting a war, right?)

It took me about 8 months to realize that depression and/or bipolar disorder did not fit my main symptoms (detachment, confusion of thoughts, lack of all emotion, feeling of robot-ness, etc. YOU KNOW ALL THESE!). So, now that I know about DP, I feel like I finally found something.

Anyway, 2 things have mainly helped me in my battles:

1. Staying active and physically working out. (not necessarily routinely, but I'm sure it would help)
- specifically, this has helped me to "forget myself" and has "brought me back to reality", since lifting weights and running cause pain as muscles tear and grow, PAIN is one of the only real things anymore, so it brings me back

2. Caffeine makes me more "laughable" and helps me to avoid the seemingly never-ending analytical loop that my brain goes in. So, I don't like advocating manmade substance addictions, but caffeine does help. Its also very soothing to wake up in the morning and know that I'll get rid of that feeling if I drink some coffee. Stability and faith in something that helps you is incredible.

3. Positive attitude. Period. This is impossible if depression is concurrently troubling you, however, trust me I know. And, since depression and DP/DR so often come hand-in-hand, dealing with one means dealing with the other one as well, sometimes one before the other. For me, I had to kick the depression before I could even REALIZE I suffered from DP, much less address and work through it!

I was on Zoloft for a month, but quit after I didn't notice any change! (And after reading all the controversial findings about Zoloft's validy). My current thinking is that I didn't notice a change because by the time I started Zoloft, I was mostly depression-free, yet had confused DP/DR with depression. Then I slowly started to realize that my mood was only low because I believed it to be low. After I began researching alternative illnesses to depression and found DP/DR (which fit like a glove), I began to remember how to control my mood (which is invariably forgotten during depression).

I hope my input helps everyone! Contact me if you like!
russ

G

·
Russ,

Thanks for the input and I'm glad you are feeling better. Are you still experiencing dp or has it faded away?

Exercise is great!!! (if I'd get off my lasy butt and do it!) When my dp/dr was at it's at it's worse, I went for walks outside daily. Being in nature and breathing the fresh air was very theraputic.

I totally agree with everything you said about a possitive attitude!!! It has helped me greatly to re afferm that I am getting better, even if I really didn't feel like I was. Trying to see the glass half full as opposed to half empty.

I want to say that regarding CAFFEINE, it is a definate NO in my book! I have been off caffeine for a long time now. Each time I've tried to drink it again, it has raised my anxiety and thrown me into a panic attack, which throws me back into dp/dr! I have read that people with anxiety issues are often very sensitive to caffeine and would be wise to stay away from it.

I guess you are lucky in the sense that you are able to drink it. I would LOVE a nice hot double latte'!!!

I haven't read much on zoloft mostly because it seems to work for me and I don't want to add to my anxiety.

Thanks for your input!!!

Carla

·
Registered
723 Posts
heres something you might find nteresting

Stress, Mental and Nervous Problems

Since the dawn of time man has understood that food and drink can have profound effects on mental

and emotional states. When primitive tribes sought euphoria or oblivion, they had no manmade

tranquillizers; instead, they fermented foodstuffs to make alcohol, chewed the coca leaf or the

betel nut, harvested the opium poppies and magic mushrooms.

We have all experienced - at first or second hand - the euphoria, the rage or the black gloom that

can accompany too much alcohol; the depression that settles on us at the end of a long day's work

or travel when there was no time for a meal; the nervous jitters that often follow too many cups of

coffee.

Poor diet undermines no only our physical well being; it can also have a disastrous impact on the way

we behave, on our ability to think, reason and concentrate, on our memory and powers of coordination,

even our mood at the start of the day. In almost every study of essential nutrients - particularly of iron,

magnesium and the B complex vitamins - mental disorders or malfunctions have been prominent

among the symptoms of deficiency.

As one instance, Vitamin B12 deficiency causes pernicious anaemia - but long before the acute

physical symptoms appear, sufferers display all the signs of mental illness.

This should not surprise us: like any other part of our bodies, the brain and nervous system can

only function properly when well nourished.

And there is growing evidence of the way in which improved nutrition can be used to enhance mental

health, improve mental ability and performance, and even affect behaviour for the better. For

example, quite simple improvements on diet, together with small doses of zinc, magnesium and

vitamin B6, produced dramatic reductions in the emotional and behavioural disturbances in women

suffering from PMT.

If you think that your problems are all in the mind, don't feel that you have to limp through the rest

of your life on the crutch of tranquillizers, anti-depressants or sleeping pills. Many of the answers

lie in your own hands, the hands that purchase, prepare and put food on your plate.

The Danger Foods - To Be Avoided

Refined Carbohydrates

White Flour

White sugar

Confectionery

Bakery products

In a diet which is high in refined carbohydrates the body soon requires more vitamin B1 to metabolise all the carbohydrates. The body may have to borrow some from the central nervous system, and this borrowing may result in undesirable behaviour patterns.

Sugar

Contains no nutrients other than calories, and often causes extreme mood swings in otherwise stable people, as blood sugar levels seesaw, affecting brain function.

Alcohol

Is more destructive of vital brain nutrients than any other commonly consumed substance: it breaks down the vitamin B complex, and has a devastating impact on your stores of magnesium, zinc and calcium - all vital to normal brain function. Contrary to popular belief, what is more, alcohol is in fact a depressant not a stimulant.
Tea and Coffee

Can provoke anxiety, nervousness, depression and insomnia. When taken within an hour of eating, they can diminish your body's uptake of iron and zinc by up to two-thirds.

Chocolate also contains caffeine and should be avoided for the same reasons.

Sweetened commercial drinks

Even natural fruit juices, if taken in excess and undiluted, can destabilize blood sugar levels to produce mood swings and anxiety.

Bran in excess

Especially in the form of sweetened breakfast cereals, may interfere with the absorption of minerals such as iron and magnesium.

Aluminium

Is a highly toxic metal that accumulates in the body, and is now being linked with the premature senility of Alzheimers disease. Avoid using aluminium pans, kettles, teapots and coffee percolators.

The Four Star Super Foods

Grapes

Millet

Wheatgerm

Brewers Yeast

Oats

Buckwheat

Molasses

The Super Foods

Fruit

Apricots

Bananas

Dates

Oranges

Apples

Pears

Plums

Grapes

Peaches

Blackcurrants

Lemons

Figs

Strawberries

Raspberries

Vegetables

Asparagus

Avocado

Aubergine

Beetroot

Cabbage

Carrots

Celery

Chicory

Watercress

French Beans

Lettuce

Turnip

Onion

Leeks
Grains

Oats

Barley

Rye

Wholewheat

Wheatgerm

Brown Rice

Buckwheat

Seeds and Nuts

Almonds

Pecans

Walnuts

Sunflower Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

Sprouted Seeds

Legumes

All dried beans, especially soya beans

Dried Peas

Sprouted beans
Herbs and Spices

Garlic

Parsley

Lemon Balm

Lemon Verbena

Basil

Rosemary

Camomile

Ginger Root

Marjoram

Thyme

Nutmeg

Juniper Berries

Liquorice
Others

Cockles

Winkles

Shrimps

Oysters

Sardines

Liver

Kidney

Lean Beef

Egg Yolks

Brewer's Yeast

The Eating Plan

Food and chemical sensitivities are at the root of many mental and emotional problems. Depression,

anxiety, forgetfulness, inability to concentrate, insomnia, irritability, irrational behaviour, violence,

panic attacks, obsessions, mood swings, lethargy, apathy and weepiness can all be triggered by

sensitivity to foods we eat every day, as well as by the 3000 permitted chemicals that go into our foods.

Thousands of desperate families with hyperactive children have found salvation in a diet which excludes

all foods containing artificial colours, flavours, preservatives and other additives, together with some

ordinary foods likely to be provocative.

Iron deficiency is widespread - particularly among women and children - as dozens of studies have

shown. When iron is low in the diet, slowed mental ability and depression soon follow. Among the

superfoods listed are good sources of easily absorbed iron. There are also plenty of foods rich in

vitamin C, which among its many functions assists iron absorption. Tea, coffee and excess bran

can all inhibit uptake of iron, magnesium and calcium and should be avoided. When people feel low

and depressed, they turn to tea and coffee to give them a bit of a lift - and become trapped in a

vicious circle.

This eating plan will provide an abundance of the nutrients known to be crucial brain foods, since

they influence both intellectual and emotional function. Even where there seems to be no direct link

between food and mental or emotional problems, it is always worth while improving the quality of your

nutrition. Like every other organ in your body, the brain functions best on an optimum diet.

Menus for a Week

Breakfast
Lunch
Main meal

Monday
Five Grain Kruska

Serve hot with milk and honey, homemade appel sauce or stewed fruit
Pissenlit Salad

Wholemeal Roll with tahini
Leeks a La Grecque

Rosemary Chicken

Carrots

Runner beans

Stewed plums

Tuesday
Half a grapefruit

Poached eggs on wholemeal toast
Cold chicken with garlic mayonnaise and slices of tomato and cucumber
Raw Root salad

Grilled herrings with oatmeal

Yogurt with apple and peaches

Wednesday
Orange juice

Crowdie
Falafel

Orange, Pumpkinseed and Watercress salad
Carrot, Leek and ginger soup

Grilled garlicky Gambas on Chinese leaves with onions and lemon slices

Wild rice

Nuts, dried fruit and seeds

Thursday
Chopped dates and figs and soaked apricots and prunes stirred into yogurt and sprinkled with sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and wheatgerm
Creole toast

A bunch of grapes and a banana
Avocado, Mozzarella and Basil salad

Barley and lentil pilaff

Fresh fruit salad

Friday
Orange juice

Lightly boiled egg with wholewheat toast
Cold pilaff (left over from yesterday) with a sharp green salad
Oatmeal soup

Grilled sardines with mustard sauce

Tomato and onion salad

Fromage frais and damson puree

Saturday
Citrus fruit cocktail

Buckwheat pancakes
Grape Nut salad
Baby beets in white sauce

Hearty Beef Stew

Baked potato

Sharp watercress salad

Goats Cheese

Sunday
Oranged juice

Devilled kidneys

Tomatoes and mushrooms
Baked beans
Raw root salad

Ginger lamb stir fry with broccoli

Almond fruit whip

Recipes

Ingredients

Method

Five- grain Kruska

1 lbs whole wheat grains

1 lbs whole millet

1 lbs whole oats

1 lbs whole rye

1 lbs whole barley

1 lbs wheatgerm or oatgerm

1 lbs wheat or oat bran

2 lbs raisins or sultanas

250 ml/8fl oz water

The grains should ideally be organically produced. Five grain kruska can be eaten for breakfast by those with an active day ahead; or as a filling brunch or supper dish.

Grind the grains in a food processor. Put in an ovenproof casserole, pour in the water and soak overnight. In the morning, bring to a boil and add the wheat or oatgerm, wheat or oatbran, the raisins or sultanas. Transfer to a preheated oven at 150C for 30 minutes. The texture should be thick but not gooey.

Serve with hot milk, a teaspoon of honey and apple puree.

(Nikki NB I think the quantities could be slightly reduced!!)

Pissenlit Salad

A selection of dandelion leaves, watercress, lambs lettuce, young spinach leaves, chicory or endive, rocket

4 tbs olive oil

1 heaped tbs pine kernels

2 tbs cider vinegar

salt and pepper

Wash the salad greens, dry well, separate into manageable sprigs of leaves and arrange in a salad bowl. Heat the oil, add the pine kernels and stir until golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat carefully add the vinegar - watch out for sputtering - return to the heat till it bubbles, then pour over the salad. Toss quickly, season to taste and serve at once.

Leeks A La Grecque

8 young leeks

3 tbs olive oil

juice of half a lemon

a sprig of thyme

6 juniper berries

a little salt and pepper
Put the oil, lemon juice, thyme , juniper berries and seasoning in a pan with 300 ml of water and bring to the boil. Clean and trim the leeks, halve them lengthways, and add. Simmer very gently, for about 15 minutes. Let them cool in the liquid and then lift them out carefully with a slotted spoon and pour the remaining liquid over them. If there is a lot left, boil it to reduce a little, and allow to cool before pouring over the leeks.

Button mushrooms, chunks of fennel, small onions, stalks of celery and artichokes can all be cooked in this way. The vegetables should be cooked long enough to be tender, without disintegrating. (Not mushy)

Rosemary Chicken

3 lb free range chicken

several sprigs of fresh rosemary

1 tbs olive oil

1 tbs butter

2 tbs vegetable stock

seasoning
Clean the chicken and pat dry. Put the sprigs of rosemary inside it, saving one of them. Do this as soon as you get the chicken home, or at least some hours before cooking.

Heat the oven to 200C. Melt the butter and olive oil in a frying pan and brown the chicken on all sides, then transfer to the oven. Pour the stock over it, and baste with its juices from time to time during the cooking. If the liquid dries up, add more. Towards the end of cooking, season with fresh milled black pepper and a little salt. Roast for about an hour or until the juices run clear when you push a skewer into the fattest part of the thigh.

Raw Root Salad

1 large carrot

2 small turnips

a chunk of celeriac root

1 medium beetroot

1 small bunch watercress

1 portion of creamy yogurt dressing

Grate the carrot, turnips, celeriac and beetroot, but keep the beetroot at a safe distance from the other vegetables until youre ready for it. Clean and trim the watercress. Combine all the vegetables except the beetroot in a bowl. Pour over the dressing, toss gently, cover with clingfilm chill for an hour or so. Serve in small bowls with the grated beetroot on top.

Yogurt Dressing

1 small carton plain bio yogurt

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 tsp olive oil

1 tsp cider vinegar

little black pepper

Mix well together and use in place of mayonnaise or salad dressing, and flavour according to taste with fresh mint, chives, finely chopped cucumber, a little chilli, or a tsp of curry powder.

Grilled Herrings in Oatmeal

4 fresh herrings

2 oz coarse oatmeal

freshly ground black pepper

2 tbs sunflower or grapeseed oil

1 lemon

1 sprig fresh parsley

Wash and pat dry the herrings and put the oatmeal on a plate with a generous sprinkling of fresh ground black pepper. Dip the herrings in the oatmeal and turn them about till completely coated. Heat the oil to smoking point in a large frying pan and fry the herrings until golden brown - 3 to 4 mins each side. Serve them immediately with a wedge of lemon and a sprinkle of parsley.

Crowdie

4 oz coarse oats

2 oz flaked almonds

1 tbs brown sugar

8 oz whipping cream

8 oz greek yogurt

Spread the oats and flaked almonds on a flat baking tray and sprinkle with the sugar. Place in a hot oven until crispy but not browned. Reser 1 tbs. Whip the cream, fold in the yogurt, stir in the oat and almond mixture and spoon into glass dishes. Decorate with the reserved oats and almonds.

Falafel

8 oz dried chickpeas

2 onions finely chopped

3 tbs parsley finely chopped

2 tsp ground coriander

2 tsp ground fennel

2 tsp ground cumin

? tsp baking powder

4 cloves garlic

black pepper, freshly ground and salt

a little flour is optional

a little sunflower oil for frying

paprika to garnish

Soak the chickpeas in water for several hours until they double in size. Change the water as often as your remember during the soaking, as this reduces the likelihood of their causing flatulence. Blend the chickpeas with a little of their cooking water to a smooth paste. Add the onions and parsley to the chickpeas and blend again for a few seconds. Add all the ground spices, baking powder, crushed garlic and salt and pepper. Knead the mixture for a moment or two to mix the ingredients well, then let it rest in the fridge for 30 mins.

Take small pieces of the mixture and form into little flat cakes about 2 inches across. If they are sticky, roll them in a little flour. Heat the oil and quickly fry the falafel for about 2 mins each side. Sometimes they begin to break apart as they are cooking: if this happens just pat together again. Handle gently when you turn them over. Drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle with paprika, and serve hot or cold.

Orange, Pumpkin seed and watercress salad

Large bunch of watercress

2 tbs olive oil

2 tsp lemon juice

seasoning

2 large ripe oranges

2 tbs pumpkin seeds

2 tbs fresh parsley chopped

Wash thoroughly and dry the watercress. Make a dressing with the oil, lemon juice and seasoning. Scrub one of the oranges and grate the rind and stir it into the dressing. Toast the pumpkin seeds lightly in a dry frying pan over a moderate heat. Peel both oranges, remove the pith. Separate into segments and slice each one in half. Add to the bowl and sprinkle with the parsley and pumpkin seeds. Pour over the dressing, and toss just before serving.

Carrot Leek and Ginger Soup

2 large leeks

2 large carrots

1 tbs oil

piece fresh ginger root

1 ? pt vegetable stock

1 bayleaf

2 tbs single cream

a little fresh coriander chopped

Clean and finely slice the leeks, including some of the green part; scrub and thinly slice the carrots. Heat the oil and melt the leeks, but on no account let them change colour. Add the carrots, stir, grate in the peeled ginger, add the stock and the bayleaf. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bayleaf and puree in a blender or food processor. Reheat and serve in individual bowls with a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped coriander.

Grilled garlicky gambas

4 or 5 big pacific prawns in their shells for each person (Fresh ones).

3 or 4 cloves garlic

2 tbs olive oil

lettuce leaves for garnish

chunks of lemon for serving

Washa d dry the prawns. Chop the garlic up very small, put in a small bowl and add the olive oil. Marinate for a couple of hours. Turn the grill on high, paint the prawns with the garlicky oil and grill till the shells are almost burned. Serve on a bed of lettuce, with chunks of lemon to squeeze over them.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i'm trying to go with this stuff more though am taking an ssri and some benzos to try and get through present state.

Finally typing these notes up for you. SICK AND TIRED BY ROBERT YOUNG

"Neurological imbalance - Mycotoxins interfere with production of coenzyme A resulting in severe depression. The mycotoxin acetaldehyde is continually produced by yeast and fungus (Y/F) and converted by the liver into alcohol.
Common symptoms such as paranoia, sleeplessness, panic attacks, depression etc are simply the result of being poisoned. People spend fruitless long periods in therapy trying to come to psychological grips with an imbalance in brain and central nervous system caused by toxicity. The really tough cases are prescribed Prozac or something worse.

Anti-psychotic drugs, prescribed drugs, antibiotics, poor nutrition, emotional strain , alcohol abuse, smoking, lack of exercise and rest all combine to weaken the immune system.

Clean the bowel, nourish the body, balance body pH and get rid of Y/F.

Drink green juice, eat mostly salads, sprouted beans, lots of vegetables especially parsley, avocadoes, tomatoes, onions and garlic and all green vegs. Best fruit are lemons, limes and grapefruit. Eat almonds, brazil and hazel nuts and all the seeds.

Don't eat sugar, sweets, white flour, processed or tinned foods or junk food.

Don't eat protein and carbohydrates in the same meat and drink 2 litres of water each day.

For neurological imbalance it is especially important to take essential fatty acids - omega 3 and omega 6 - daily.

Omega 3 - Fish such as trout, salmon, mackerel and sardines. Best sources are fish oils and flaxseed oil.

Omega 6 - Borage seed oil and evening primrose oil."

Oils, including olive oil seem to be very important. I stir a dessertspoon of flax seed oil into my porridge in the morning. Holland and Barrett make an 'optimum oil blend' which contains all of the required oils. Put a spoonful of it on vegetables, soup, pasta or whatever you are eating when food is cooked.

G

·
pdr,

Thank you for taking the time to post all this great information!!! "I know this to be true and I need to get back on this diet!!!" It's so hard to make that commitment. How about we all set a goal and shoot for it?

My 40th birthday is Sept 1st. How about we start on the 2nd, so I can have my one last indulgence....sorry, I know I'm only thinking of me here.....

What do you say? I'll print this thread off or at least the diet, although I already know this stuff pretty much. No sugar, no coffee, no refined anything, lots of whole foods and protein, tons of water, good oils, fish oils, evening primrose oil, calcium mag, and multi - vit or at least B supplements.

I've done this diet before and did feel better but was still suffering. That is why I'm on the SSRI. But it's still a great diet. I think that there are many other things to try to reduce anxiety in a more natural way that I have not tried yet. Many you shouldn't take while on SSRI's so should be introduced when you are ready to try something different.

Good luck to us all! So, who's with me on the diet?

Carla

·
Registered
723 Posts
yep i'm up for it. just bought bottle of flax oil, making millet and quinoa porridge with soya milk for breakfast and juicing anything green i can find. glad you're going to give it a go too

G

·
Cool!!! Thanks for the support! I'm glad you threw in some recipe's. I'm really bad at that type of thing. Plus, I might eat it but my kids......
I was going to start my 3rd one that is 2 yrs old now on a no sugar diet. Well, with a Post partum mood disorder and a horribley picky eater, I've fudged on that one. She's a crank, too and sometimes that is the ONLY way to give my ears a break. We do our best! LOL!!! (she already has cavities!)

Carla

G

·
:) Okay! Ready....set...go!!! It was my big 40th bithday today and boy did I ever indulge!!! Started with a triple shot decaf moca and ended with 3 helpings of choc cake and ice cream. So, now it's "good bye and good riddens." My son is already doing "the diet" so I will now join him. Who else is with me on this?

Carla

G

·
I did ?okay? today. I stayed away from sugar for the most part, although I did eat a granola bar, oven roasted peanuts and beef jerkey, all of which contain sugar and high fructose corn syrup. But....I didn't drink any coffee or substitute, I didn't eat cereal and I didn't have pasta with my dinner. So, I'm doing better.

Carla

·
Registered
723 Posts
happy birthday :D
keep up the good work

·
Registered
935 Posts
Happy Birthday!

I would give all these foods a try but I haven't a clue what half of them are! My problem is that I really enjoy going out to eat and really enjoy a couple of glasses of wine (not getting hammered) that to give these pleasures up, I would have to see a vast improvement for it to be worth it. I have no patience with diets. Is that a really lame excuse? I would take vitamin supplements. Can I take B vits and omega oils with effexor?

Anyway, I really admire people who can do these diets. The self discipline you have is incredible. Good luck!

G

·
Okay, I failed already. Been eating choc chip cookies and had real coffee yesterday. I tell ya, when I go off...I REALLY go off!!! (Kicking butt) I guess I wasn't ready yet. :roll:

Carla

Oh, thank you for wishing me a happy birthday.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was going to use a photo of my cat who has one eye and a wonky jaw but I thought it might freak people out. Especially as these icons are kind of meant to represent ourselves. Having said that, I've never fallen asleep in my dinner before like this little fella...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys,

I've been doing nothing but raw foods for two weeks. It's wonderful. Fruits, veggies, and nuts for the protein and fats (walnuts in my case).

This is my fridge now:

My kitchen:

Even got a juicer (cantalope juice is brilliant):

And lastly, I post these with much confidence. I wasn't out of shape at all before starting raw, but the benefits to both my health and physique has been incredible.

Flat and totally expanded, it's brilliant. Mind you, this is with, at the moment, no exercise at all. Again, I don't mean to boast, but I'm genuinely pleased and confident in the way my body is shaping out to be, and from the information I've gathered, this is simply a very natural body for the raw fooder.

If you guys have any more questions about raw foods ask me certainly, as I'd love to share the wealth of knowledge I have gathered. :)

~Jason

1 - 20 of 125 Posts