Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about focused ultrasound and its potential benefits for dp/dr sufferers? It has shown some promise in treating various neurological disorders, but I don't think there is much research for other illnesses. Any input or ideas?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Anyone know anything about focused ultrasound and its potential benefits for dp/dr sufferers? It has shown some promise in treating various neurological disorders, but I don't think there is much research for other illnesses. Any input or ideas?
There are several new types of brain stimulation under development that can go deeper into the brain and more selective than conventional rTMS. Conventional rTMS is very limited in treating many disorder due to it very low stimulation dept in the brain,- 0.8-1.cm in dept. That is why only 50% of depressions can be treated with conventional rTMS,- the other "depression types" involves areas in the brain that is much deeper. So, development of newer coils, other types of stimulation is a way addressing that problem so many more psychiatric and neurological conditions can be treated. These interventions are still experimental and can not be used in clinical practices or hospitals. It can only be done in approved research trails.

The problem with depersonalization is you have to have a idea where the regulation in the brain starts, anormal brain networks you what to normalize. Research into depersonalization have and still is significantly underfunded. The trail, brain studies have been very small and there have not been globally not specialized research units doing research into the disorder since 2015.

There have been a recent evaluation of all brain studies done in DP and they are somehow conflicting and they proposed to combine brainscans with newer brainstimulation to test locations showing up as abnormal and see if there come significant changes by stimulating them. Most locations showing up in the prefrontal cortex in depersonalization are too deep to stimulate with conventional rTMS and coils that can do it was not developed after 2015. So, many locations there are abnormal in DP have never been tested. But, in general also more scanning with more powerfull scanners. Many brainscan are very old today close to 20.years and newer more powerfull scanners will likely be 2-400% accurate than those tried. They will detect locations and networks that could not be detected with the older scanners. You have to have a picture of the disorder and the locations central to it to be able to manipulated with it. Newer technologies for intervention are useless if you don't do that. I called it "the magic magnet thinking". They just think that a stimulation with a conventional rTMS can cure DP and some try the few locations it can stimulate and it didn't work. Then they make a general statement that "rTMS doesn't work". But, conventional rTMS have significant limitations in the locations it can stimulate and the locations thought to be central in DP might not be correct. Those coming up as active can not be stimulated with conventional rTMS you find in clinics or hospitals. The trails do with ultrasound is likely done in conditions where there is not doubt about the locations. You can not do that in depersonalization.

So, there is a significant gab in research with brain scanners and newer brainstimulation techniques that could lead to a significant breakthrough in understanding and in treating the condition. I know that they will start testing some new equipment in refractory depression that can stimulate much deeper, at 3.locations at once and normalize brain networks. I hope that a trail can be done with this in depersonalization if the development is successful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts