Depersonalization Support Forum banner

First time seeing a doctor, share some advice?

835 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Martinelv 
G
#1 ·
Well, basically, after months of procrastination I finally told my mother to book an appointment with the local GP. I've always been a little anxious, so how should I begin to tell him about what I've been feeling lately? Doctors over here are extremely sceptical about cases like this in seventeen year olds. What should I say to him?

I think I'll probably say that the whole thing started because of a panic attack in late June, and then gradually begin to describe my symptoms (feelings of detatchment, cognitive and memory impairments; anxiety and depression as complications). Hopefully he will then refer me to see a psychiatric nurse.

Now, the part which really worries me is that I believe these things came about due to my experimentations with magic mushrooms (hence why I don't want my parents to come with me). Will they hold this against me in any way?

If anyone has advice it would be very welcome, especially people from the UK area who have been through a similar procedure. Cheers.

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry about the mushrooms matter. They can't hold it against you, and it's all confidential and supposedly non-judgemental. Also remember that many of the GPs today were students in the 50s and 60s...they've probably tried way more drugs than you in their time.

One thing I will say is don't expect any miracles. Even if you get referred, there's little that they'll tell you that you haven't heard before. And it's very hard to get therapy through the NHS these days. You should try to get a prescription for some Benzos, I found they helped a lot - if only just as a "safety net" in case anxiety starts flaring.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure at Dawn's age you can get therapy for free on the NHS. But the waiting list will be very long, and NHS therapists are notorious for being the kind of new graduates from school who go "by the book" without the experience to understand their patients.

I'd personally opt to spend that ?40 on a night out and a nice kebab.

G
#5 ·
Monkeydust said:
I'm pretty sure at Dawn's age you can get therapy for free on the NHS. But the waiting list will be very long, and NHS therapists are notorious for being the kind of new graduates from school who go "by the book" without the experience to understand their patients.

I'd personally opt to spend that ?40 on a night out and a nice kebab.
But then I don't get better :( And that counteracts the run!! :wink:

G
#6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. The whole benzodiazephine thing is what I think NHS doctors will be most sceptical about -- I bet they get a lot of teens trying to score them off the NHS for their recreational value. Would the GP himself be the one to prescribe them?

And mr.mole, what kind of NHS therapy were you entitled to, if I may ask?

#7 ·
There's not really that much recreational value in Benzos, but you're right that they don't like prescribing them to young people.

If you want them, I'd advise you to insist on having them, not in an argumentative sense, but in a calm, collected, rational kind of way, explaining that you know the dangers and all that. You should be able to get them round to your point of view.

The NHS offers a number of therapies, but the most likely that you'll get will be CBT, because it's proven to be the most effective in the shortest time span.

G
#8 ·
Dawn said:
And mr.mole, what kind of NHS therapy were you entitled to, if I may ask?
To be honest I didn't bother asking. I was working for the NHS at the time and thought it would be pissing into the wind to get help for an anxiety disorder, so I just decided to stump up the cash.

#9 ·
Don't worry about admitting to using illegal drugs. It's important to be honest with your doctor, and it's not exactly going to be earth shattering news to him to hear that a teenager has used mushrooms. As you say, your mushroom use could be an important factor with regards your DR/DP, so don't keep it from him. My doctor asked me what drugs I had taken, and about ten minutes later (when I was still listing them) he just laughed and said; 'Ah, OK. That might have something to do with it'.

At your age, I think most GP's will be a loathe to prescribe you any psychoactive medication. Unless you are completely barking, and act so, they are more likely to refer you to you local mental health services. Unfortunately, the mental health services in this country are poorly funded, and the number of anxiety/depressive cases they have to deal with is huge, so don't expect too much too soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.