Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Former Moderator
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, things have been fairly bad for me over the past few weeks, and climaxed on sunday while driving home from my former uni town. Ever since that day, i've been feeling slowly, and steadily better. I mean, i'm still hugely anxious and depressed and empty feeling...i can't see how i can do anything other than sit in a room and douse myself with mindless television programs and sweet lilac wine, but the major scares have assuaged themselves to a significant extent.

The thing now though, is that i feel enormously tired. Like i fell asleep on the couch last night. I felt like my grandfather or something when i woke up. Today, i could barely get out of bed and was late for work for the, i don't know, 50th straight day in a row. I feel really, really exhausted all day long. I also haven't had any alcohol for three days which may seem like a dubious honour to many of you, but for me it is really quite the big deal.

Anywho, the question i have is this: While i'm not naive enough to suspect this is the "recovery phase" or anything like that...do any of you feel that this whole fight/flight thingamajiggy in our brains is put into constant overdrive with dp and, bereft of emotional potency, this is the reason why dpers usually feel that "emotional numbness"? And does anyone here notice any similarities between the constant fatigue i'm going through now and their own situation, when they were perhaps recovering from a particularly bad spell?

thanks in advance,

s.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Though many may disagree...my doctor explained to me that the period you are going through right now is withdrawl from the alcohol. Usually when I was feeling good and then started to drink again and would crash, the next 3-5 days were the worst for me. She said it is because your mind is withdrawling from alcohol. It has had it so much over the past couple days during the weekend, that it is craving it and therefore withdrawing from it. It's like taking any drug. Your mind gets used to having it and when it doesn't and since it is a depressant, it makes you feel like utter crap. And no...the solution is not to just start drinking again. You have to give your mind time to recover and get used to not having alcohol. Trust me I know it is hard, cause I went through and am still going through the same situation. But trust me, you are better off without alcohol. Take care.

Kelson

·
Registered
663 Posts
dp/dr is a product of the fof mechanism being engaged. Alcohol(like benzos) works well for anxiety but at the same time disrupts our gaba system which is vital to help keep us calm. Once you quit alcohol or benzos it can take along time(sometimes years) for tolerance to revert back. In the mean time, you will feel like shit. Take the advice above and shit can the alcohol and if you are taking benzos, do the same.

Joe

·
Former Moderator
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's interesting, and actually quite reassuring. thanks for the info.

one thing though...i'm not sure i could be classified as an alcoholic, per se...i mean, i consume about 3 or 4 glasses of wine per night and on the weekends usually a whole 1.5 litre bottle or around 10 pints a night, depending on whether i go out or not (beer for the clubs...wine is far too pretentious to go prancing around with in public). But i never drink hard liquor, or very rarely at least. I'm curious kelson, you've said you've gone through this withdrawl phase before...did you find that it exentuated your anxiety and depression as well...or was there just the problem with fatigue?

It's weird to think that a problem which seems so intangible or something can have a physical cause.

s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.