Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my main symptoms right now are just brain fog/spaciness/light headed sensation. This makes it hard for me to think and it makes me feel as though my head is underwater almost, like when people are talking to me or I'm watching a movie it's as though I'm not really there.

I don't really know how to fix this because it seems as though I'm most comfortable when I don't try to do anything. The more I try to "distract" myself like by reading a book or trying to study, the more uncomfortable I start to feel because this feeling makes it hard for me to absorb any information, I get this jarring feeling like my brain is trying to connect with the world but the fog won't let it. So what do I do? When I actively try to distract and do things I feel like it makes me MORE aware of DP, but if I just stay zoned out I feel mentally better but don't do anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I actively try to distract and do things I feel like it makes me MORE aware of DP, but if I just stay zoned out I feel mentally better but don't do anything.
It's good to find ways that help us cope, and it's good that you found zonning out helping. Though we still need to do things since we have responsiblities(sadly). Instead of doing things to distract, do things you enjoy doing or because it needs to be done. Instead of forcing yourself to clean the house to distract yourself, clean because it's dirty. Or as you mentions, study to get things done instead of distracting yourself.

like when people are talking to me or I'm watching a movie it's as though I'm not really there.
We all get these feelings, something that helps me is that I remind myself that I'm on autopilot. No matter how gone I feel or unreal I am in the moment, I remind myself that my body or voice is able to act out naturally. It's almost like you mentioned, just zonning out and letting yourself to accept it without realizing it.

I start to feel because this feeling makes it hard for me to absorb any information
Whenever I feel like I'm not absorbing information or even forgetting things, I remind myself that nothing is really wrong with my mind, but that it's just the DP/DR making me feel this way. We still have our memories and information we gathered, it's just the fog.

Hope this helped, if I misunderstood anything feel free to correct me. ^_^

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
100% what I feel except zoning out also makes me uncomfortable cuz I feel like a loser doing nothing.
No I'm with you on that, it's just that I guess I feel as comfortable as I *can* be, while still being very uncomfortable :/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's good to find ways that help us cope, and it's good that you found zonning out helping. Though we still need to do things since we have responsiblities(sadly). Instead of doing things to distract, do things you enjoy doing or because it needs to be done. Instead of forcing yourself to clean the house to distract yourself, clean because it's dirty. Or as you mentions, study to get things done instead of distracting yourself.

We all get these feelings, something that helps me is that I remind myself that I'm on autopilot. No matter how gone I feel or unreal I am in the moment, I remind myself that my body or voice is able to act out naturally. It's almost like you mentioned, just zonning out and letting yourself to accept it without realizing it.

Whenever I feel like I'm not absorbing information or even forgetting things, I remind myself that nothing is really wrong with my mind, but that it's just the DP/DR making me feel this way. We still have our memories and information we gathered, it's just the fog.

Hope this helped, if I misunderstood anything feel free to correct me. ^_^
Thank you for the suggestions. I agree with the doing things to get stuff done rather than doing things to distract, because then I'm just obsessed with distracting myself.

I try to remind myself that it's just psychological but it doesn't prevent this experience from being profoundly disturbing, I mean how can you chronically feel like your brain is poisoned and not feel distressed about it... idk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts