Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wonder if you are like me. I have trouble to really "feel" my body, specially when I am in public places. Before I was really aware of myself, my hair, my clothes, my makeup, my weight, I watched myself to get sure I am OK, etc.

Now, I feel detached from that, I have to force myself to think of what I look like in the moment, if my hair are OK, if my makeup is OK, etc. I look at clothes at the stores, and I look at them as I as not really concerned by it. Before I was clothes addict.

Even when I try something, in the mirror, I feel a bit detached from the reflection. I know this is me, but I don't FEEL myself, I am not AWARE like before.

When I don't take antidep, I am not aware AND I panick. When I take medication, I am not aware and I don't eally care. Can it be depression who does that?

Can it go away? When DP will lift?

Cynthia :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
coucouc said:
Hi,

I wonder if you are like me. I have trouble to really "feel" my body, specially when I am in public places. Before I was really aware of myself, my hair, my clothes, my makeup, my weight, I watched myself to get sure I am OK, etc.

Now, I feel detached from that, I have to force myself to think of what I look like in the moment, if my hair are OK, if my makeup is OK, etc. I look at clothes at the stores, and I look at them as I as not really concerned by it. Before I was clothes addict.

Even when I try something, in the mirror, I feel a bit detached from the reflection. I know this is me, but I don't FEEL myself, I am not AWARE like before.

When I don't take antidep, I am not aware AND I panick. When I take medication, I am not aware and I don't eally care. Can it be depression who does that?

Can it go away? When DP will lift?

Cynthia :shock:
:!: :!:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am often unaware of my body..not really unawar..but i often feel i am outside looking in...like this body doesnt actualy belong to my mind.i have been like this for so long i dont know when it started..it started as a child i believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if I post again this message...

Just wonder what Janine had to say on this :) (my first post)

I just am not completely aware of my image, what I project to others, in public. I wonder if it happened to others like Janine.

Thanks!

Cynthia xx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
again, my sweet Coucouc, you're doing that obsessive reassurance thing.

You KNOW that happened to me, it's in la book, grin....

I'm happy to offer reassurances, but I also need to point out with you, there seems to be some "magical thinking" going on. I recognize this because I also did it!!

It's like you MUST have the response you seek or else it "means" something horrible. Almost as if you can have the reassurance means that the symptom in question is NOT going to drive you insane, but if you don't get the reassurance, then something awful might happen.

PLEASE don't think I'm criticizing you....I just recognize some of that "obsessive magical" desperation, and I cannot emphasize this enough: do NOT give in to it. If you do, you'll get more and more obsessive. You will become more dependent on hearing "the right answer" from someone. Trust me, I've been there.

The original question though is classic dp....that is precisely what dp IS, lol...

Love,
me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Janine,

I will try no to seek reassurance, like others do on this site :) lol (I mentionned it before)

I KNOW I am so obsessive about that DP/DR. :cry:

:)

The problem is I trust you and I think you make sense. So I seek your opinion often.

I'll send you PM sometimes! :) :oops:

Cynthia xxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's OKAY to ask or seek anything you want here...that was not a complaint.

I'm just pointing out the URGENCY with which you seem to wait for answers. There is something "magical" in there....as if should you NOT get the answer, that means something bad could happen.

I'm sorry to PICK on you, grin..I like you and you know that. And I can just recognize that trend in you because I did it, too. I used to phone my psychiatrist and leave him a message begging him to call me back. UNTIL he called and reassured me, I felt like I was losing my mind. The second I heard his voice, I calmed down. That ain't a good pattern, grin.

We KNOW we are doing something like to ourselves. We are using other people to act as Common Sense - but deep down we already KNOW what they're going to say. The problem is that we are unable to trust ourselves - even when we already know the answer. We "empower" someone else to be The One Who Knows and only find comfort when the exact words we already know are coming from THEIR mouths.

Confidence.

Self-regard.

Independence.

Don't take away your own power and hand it to somebody else.

When we are relunctant to do those things, we must ask why. Common sense says we WOULD do them...so when we don't, there's a reason. And it can be very useful to examine.

Peace,
Janine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.