Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have experienced DPDR since a bad panic attack in 2015. However The DPDR cleared by the end of 2016. Now I seem to have it off and on alongside anxiety and dizziness in moments of stress.

A few months ago I filed for an appeal over an unsuccessful claim and assessment for PIP (for non UK readers this is a welfare benefit for disabled people) and recently I attended the tribunal for my appeal which was very stressful, horrible and the panel there who was a judge, doctor and disability rights worker were all nasty people and it was like being at an interrogation. It was awful.

I suffered a panic attack at the tribunal but no matter how stressful it was I tried my best and answered their questions. As well as my anxiety, depression and panic disorder I also told them about DPDR but they just looked at me clueless and told me they had never heard of such a disorder which made me feel that they thought I was making it up.

The panel then came to a decision and unfortunately I got refused and I lost my appeal. When getting told the bad news I felt nothing but emotional numbness. However, later in the day I started having feelings of depression and hopelessness and I have been bedridden with depression since.

Anyway, just last night after waking up in the middle of the night I started feeling weird. I started feeling off balance, dizzy, light headed and a feeling I wasn't really here and my mouth, face and limbs felt weird as if it was disconnected from me and my mind and a feeling of unreality which triggered off high anxiety.

I am still feeling this way and I am frightened. This week has been hell with this stupid tribunal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was advised by my local council to apply for PIP, which I did, & I was refused as well (although I actually really need it). I never even thought to appeal. So sorry to hear it triggered some bad symptoms in you. Hang on in there...
Let me warn you about the appeal and tribunal that it's a very stressful and horrible experience. My welfare rights officer wasn't there and a I got a woman to replace her who didn't have a clue.

I never had anyone to speak on my behalf and talking to the judge and doctors was a distressing and upsetting experience. They were horrible and it was like being at an interrogation. After getting the bad news that I lost the appeal it left me numb and mentally exhausted which I guess was the reason for the dreaded DPDR to creep up on me that night.

That judge and those doctors were a disgrace and they just looked at me puzzled when a I explained DPDR to them as if I was making it up because they had never heard of that disorder before.

·
Registered
125 Posts
"I started feeling off balance, dizzy, light headed and a feeling I wasn't really here and my mouth, face and limbs felt weird as if it was disconnected"
I feel the exact same way getting better but especially the mouth thing. How are you now?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Unfortunately, illness is more of a social phenomenon than it is a biological one.

And even worse, the concept of illness and disability is more entwined than it should be, to the extent that they are practically synonymous. They shouldn't be. The common cold is an illness, but it is not disabling for most. Illiteracy is not an illness, but it effeftively disabled one from almost all work in modern societies.

Rather than focus on whether DPDR is a "real" physical illness or not (it may or may not be), the questions a disability judge should ask should be: can you lift things? Can you process oral and/or written directions? Can you multi-task? Can you focus for a sufficient period of time? Can you make it to work reliably on time every day? Can you get sufficient nutrition and sleep while being expected to work (when I was forced to work, i didn't eat or sleep hardly ever)? Etc. in other words, can you reasonably and reliably perform the tasks for any job? If not, you are disabled. Having a "real illness" is completely irrelevant.

It just irks me how stupid people have control over whether we live or die. I'm sorry you had to go through that garbage.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The entire system is just a joke I'm afraid. I am in the uk too but daren't apply for PIP as it would mean I would effectively get no benefits at all whilst it is being processed. And at the end I would most likely go through what you have. I am just on job seekers but by their own assessment of my disability I am on 'no work related requirements'. So if they understand that much by their own health assessment (which I fully expected to fail), why can I not claim disability? I don't want to risk being without money for 6 months only to be unsuccessful.... it sucks. I worked hard at two jobs at one time and paid a lot of tax. But as it stands I am too disabled to function

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm in the United States and I'm on SSA disability. In fact, I was awarded on my first attempt, no lawyers or "tribunals" or anything; just a successful application. Where they asked about what diagnoses I've received, I put down everything I've been diagnosed with (I've probably had 5 different diagnoses over the years, maybe more), and included my psychiatrists notes, neuropsych testing results and psych ward discharge papers. But I think the most important factor, as I said before, is not what "illness" i have that disables me, but rather convincing them that my experience and symptoms render me incapable of reliably performing any work.

I think it helps that I did try to keep going through 8 years with this, so they knew that I was at least trying for a long time. But I can't say for sure what their reasoning was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts