Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some days when I'm feeling super on edge and especially if I've had coffee I can start to feel like there's someone behind me even when I'm alone in my room.

I'm a 26 year old male with anxiety issues since I was about 5 (by my recollection) but had a lot of years where I had 0 anxiety and recently it came back.

I don't really have social anxiety, I'm mostly anxious for no reason at all, which lead me to being obsessed with going insane getting schizophrenia etc.

However, i cant seem to find anyone who has this feeling that only has anxiety.

To clarify further: I know there is nobody behind me, it's just a general feeling of unease and uncomfortability, like after watching a horror movie when you were a kid and constantly looking behind your back after it was over.

Is this an anxiety thing or am I becoming paranoid?

·
Registered
449 Posts
first of all I also suffer from horrible anxiety since childhood and I am 33 now so I know how you feel trust me

2. stop the coffee -.- it is not good for us to drink coffee

3. you are not going schizophrenic or anything . relax

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think you described it well with the horror movie analogy.

Anxiety causes a sense of unease; not unlike a horror movie might! I get this a lot too. Usually when I'm in a particularly vulnerable state. The idea that someone is behind me or watching me from a distance; even though I'm home alone and those two things are essentially impossible. It happens and anxiety is definitely a factor in amplifying those feelings. I think this can be a common feeling too.

Do these feelings lessen whenever you're not drinking caffeine? It might be useful to cut out the coffee is it helps you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
first of all I also suffer from horrible anxiety since childhood and I am 33 now so I know how you feel trust me

2. stop the coffee -.- it is not good for us to drink coffee

3. you are not going schizophrenic or anything . relax
Yes but I can't get the idea that I'm going to go crazy out of my mind, especially since my grandma suffers from intermittent psychosis and I'm at the almost perfect age range to get it, as well as dpdr + huge anxiety + depression + racing nonsensical thoughts that give me horror while trying to fall asleep

I would feel more at ease if I was 33 because you are out of the woods pretty much

Do you get this feeling as well due to your anxiety or have you had it before?

It's gone now but I had it for about 1 hour

I think you described it well with the horror movie analogy.

Anxiety causes a sense of unease; not unlike a horror movie might! I get this a lot too. Usually when I'm in a particularly vulnerable state. The idea that someone is behind me or watching me from a distance; even though I'm home alone and those two things are essentially impossible. It happens and anxiety is definitely a factor in amplifying those feelings. I think this can be a common feeling too.

Do these feelings lessen whenever you're not drinking caffeine? It might be useful to cut out the coffee is it helps you.
Yes, they lessen when I don't drink coffee and sleep well, last night I only slept 3 hours because my mind was racing all night with catastophic thoughts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes but I can't get the idea that I'm going to go crazy out of my mind, especially since my grandma suffers from intermittent psychosis and I'm at the almost perfect age range to get it, as well as dpdr + huge anxiety + depression + racing nonsensical thoughts that give me horror while trying to fall asleep

I would feel more at ease if I was 33 because you are out of the woods pretty much

Do you get this feeling as well due to your anxiety or have you had it before?

It's gone now but I had it for about 1 hour
so what if you would get psychosis ? it is nothing one would wish to get but it is not the end of the world and treatable too . I once had a massive panic attack because I was scared to get psychosis and thought I am in a psychotic state

I have a lot worse and more disturbing thoughts and fears than the fear/feeling that someone isstanding behind you ...I wont tell you those because otherwise you will think you get them too lol

my doc actually said I had psychosis . I also think I had it at least temporarily . I took antipsychotics and still sometimes take 50mg sulpiride when needed . but even I am not schizophrenic (my doc also said I am not) . I think 90% of it was anxiety + dp/dr + ocd though . just 10% psychosis .

it is very unlikely you will get schizophrenia . and EVEN IF you did ....you will just find a doc to treat it and thats it . 1% of people have schizophrenia

it is just your anxiety and probably some intrusive thoughts playing on you . I know that anxiety is very hard ....it can make you believe a lot of weird stuff . and it is very common to think you are going crazy when you have dp/dr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts