Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone :)

I have suffered from DP since childhood but until yesterday I thought that i was alone with this. Its a great relief to understand that I´m not alone anymore :)

My common DP sensations have been like this:

I sit in a train, a church. a cinema or something similar.

I begin to wonder who I am, what is me? Is the body me, where is the self located etc.

I begin to feel that the self is planning to leave the body

I feel a overwhelming anxiety that is impossible to describe

I am so terrified and feel like the self and the body are about to go apart - I feel that the self soon will be separated from my body

What will be left on the chair or seat in the train??

Will my body just be left there without the self

This is a nightmare - the worst anxiety that I have ever experienced.

Have any of you felt like me - that you were afraid that the self were about to leave your body?

And you was filled with fear that the empty body was left alone?

I´m still having these sensations now and then. Yesterday I had another one on my job. I was terrified.

PS I´m on medication - Zoloft because of OCD.

I will talk to my psychiatrist soon so that I can tell her more precisely about DP..

Sorry about my English. It´s not my native language!

Kind regards

Henrik

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I have felt exactly like this.

"Have any of you felt like me - that you were afraid that the self were about to leave your body?

And you was filled with fear that the empty body was left alone?"

Yes, this is exactly what I was filled with fear about, as well as the idea that if my self leaves the body, will I ever come back? I have it just walking or sitting in public places, or sitting at home. Looking in the mirror makes it worse, because I can see my body, and then it makes me think about how this body is the thing that would be left alone, and I feel so separated from it and like it's amazing that I can still experience it. It feels like the moment I walk away from the mirror my body is just going to walk out of the room by itself and I won't be in it. Obviously it doesn't really make sense because I would have no eyes to see with if that happened, but it's just the feeling.

These feelings are definitely DP. Telling yourself it's DP and there is nothing to be scared of helps some. Thinking of how when you go to sleep, you are not aware of the body, but it's just fine when you "come back" - even if you leave your body and dissociate completely, your body will be fine. The brain regulates its functions even when you are unconscious. I do not think people usually black out from DP though. I never have at least and I've felt like this several times. Taking benzos helps some. Also distracting yourself can help some. It doesn't help at first and it feels forced, but if you do an engaging activity for a while, like play a video game or do solve math equations or just do anything that requires you to think a lot, this helps for me.

I understand very well though, and I understand how terrifying they can be. It really feels like you are really going to leave your body.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am going through this exact same feeling, as if I am outside of my body, it is a physical feeling for me where I can actually say i don't feel my legs, arms etc at times. One thing my therapist told me that helps me alot is to ground myself, when i start feeling as if i am leaving my body, i grab the first thing next to me, and feel the texture of it, while deep breathing and talking to myself . Usually I repeat over and over, I am fine, this is just anxiety, i am not going crazy, this will pass and Breath deeply and slowly for like 10 minutes. Grounding myself really does tend to help, feeling things around me and knowing everything is real, then so am i, helps me. I take Klonopin as needed for when I get that bad anxiety and feeling of impending doom, the klonopin does help, but i only take it as needed, lately it has been once a day but i am on a very low dose. I hope you can understand that this is a symptom of your dp, nothing more, and we will not come out of our bodies, it is our mind playing tricks on us. Distraction, keep busy...especially when you start to feel like this, helps tremendously, I watch movies, tv shows, series, youtube videos, listen to music, write in a journal, call a friend, wash dishes...anything to get my mind focused on the present moment. I hope this helps, i cannot say i am cured, these are just things that i notice help me.

G

·
Hi to everyone :smile:

I have suffered from DP since childhood but until yesterday I thought that i was alone with this. Its a great relief to understand that I´m not alone anymore :smile:

My common DP sensations have been like this:

I sit in a train, a church. a cinema or something similar.

I begin to wonder who I am, what is me? Is the body me, where is the self located etc.

I begin to feel that the self is planning to leave the body

I feel a overwhelming anxiety that is impossible to describe

I am so terrified and feel like the self and the body are about to go apart - I feel that the self soon will be separated from my body

What will be left on the chair or seat in the train??

Will my body just be left there without the self

This is a nightmare - the worst anxiety that I have ever experienced.

Have any of you felt like me - that you were afraid that the self were about to leave your body?

And you was filled with fear that the empty body was left alone?

I´m still having these sensations now and then. Yesterday I had another one on my job. I was terrified.

PS I´m on medication - Zoloft because of OCD.

I will talk to my psychiatrist soon so that I can tell her more precisely about DP..

Sorry about my English. It´s not my native language!

Kind regards

Henrik
The fact that you could 'feel' what's been going on is a huge step ahead! You are well on the way to recovery, from whatever it is that makes you dissociate (protect your 'self').

I know it's hard at first (believe me I know!) but trust your body, and your feelings to guide you through your recovery of dp/dr. My advice would be to trust your instincts and 'listen' to how you feel. No matter how 'odd' it feels, trust your body. It's telling you how to feel better, and how to recover.

Peace..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fact that you could 'feel' what's been going on is a huge step ahead! You are well on the way to recovery, from whatever it is that makes you dissociate (protect your 'self').

I know it's hard at first (believe me I know!) but trust your body, and your feelings to guide you through your recovery of dp/dr. My advice would be to trust your instincts and 'listen' to how you feel. No matter how 'odd' it feels, trust your body. It's telling you how to feel better, and how to recover.

Peace..
Hey Philo, thanks a lot for your feedback. I hear you and Im now trying to face what I feel and experience. I try not to "run away" from it. Its somehow demystified this way.

Regards from
Henrik

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going through this exact same feeling, as if I am outside of my body, it is a physical feeling for me where I can actually say i don't feel my legs, arms etc at times. One thing my therapist told me that helps me alot is to ground myself, when i start feeling as if i am leaving my body, i grab the first thing next to me, and feel the texture of it, while deep breathing and talking to myself . Usually I repeat over and over, I am fine, this is just anxiety, i am not going crazy, this will pass and Breath deeply and slowly for like 10 minutes. Grounding myself really does tend to help, feeling things around me and knowing everything is real, then so am i, helps me. I take Klonopin as needed for when I get that bad anxiety and feeling of impending doom, the klonopin does help, but i only take it as needed, lately it has been once a day but i am on a very low dose. I hope you can understand that this is a symptom of your dp, nothing more, and we will not come out of our bodies, it is our mind playing tricks on us. Distraction, keep busy...especially when you start to feel like this, helps tremendously, I watch movies, tv shows, series, youtube videos, listen to music, write in a journal, call a friend, wash dishes...anything to get my mind focused on the present moment. I hope this helps, i cannot say i am cured, these are just things that i notice help me.
Dear wonderlandme,
Thanks for your wonderful advices. I have allready used some of them and will contnue. Grounding and defocusing are great tools and Im a bit familiar with them already. Thanks again for your words - they made me calm down and showed me another perspective..
Regards
Henrik

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It feels almost as if your mind is ripping away from reality and everything is going to become a foreign, impossible hell. The advice above is great. Positive self talk helps retrain the brains approach to these thoughts.
Thanks Selig, and you are so right. Thats the feeling - everything becomes strange and unreal
Regards Henrik

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I have felt exactly like this.

"Have any of you felt like me - that you were afraid that the self were about to leave your body?
And you was filled with fear that the empty body was left alone?"

Yes, this is exactly what I was filled with fear about, as well as the idea that if my self leaves the body, will I ever come back? I have it just walking or sitting in public places, or sitting at home. Looking in the mirror makes it worse, because I can see my body, and then it makes me think about how this body is the thing that would be left alone, and I feel so separated from it and like it's amazing that I can still experience it. It feels like the moment I walk away from the mirror my body is just going to walk out of the room by itself and I won't be in it. Obviously it doesn't really make sense because I would have no eyes to see with if that happened, but it's just the feeling.

These feelings are definitely DP. Telling yourself it's DP and there is nothing to be scared of helps some. Thinking of how when you go to sleep, you are not aware of the body, but it's just fine when you "come back" - even if you leave your body and dissociate completely, your body will be fine. The brain regulates its functions even when you are unconscious. I do not think people usually black out from DP though. I never have at least and I've felt like this several times. Taking benzos helps some. Also distracting yourself can help some. It doesn't help at first and it feels forced, but if you do an engaging activity for a while, like play a video game or do solve math equations or just do anything that requires you to think a lot, this helps for me.

I understand very well though, and I understand how terrifying they can be. It really feels like you are really going to leave your body.
Het clockwork8,
Its amazing how accurate you have described my sensations. Its like you could read my thoughts!
It feels so positive to interact with you and the other wonderful people in this forum. I cant describe how lucky I feel after all these years.
Your advices are great. Distraction and activities - because one cant concentrate on several things at the same time. And thanks also for clearing some things out for me.
I really appreciate it all.
Regards Henrik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.