Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday I had really bad anxiety attack and the only thing racing through my mind was that I’m going to get dr again... for me, dr hits me really bad when I’m stressed... It starts lingering with thoughts about the world and my mind and I start thinking about my mental health... and then it hits me with a huge anxiety attack and everything suddenly looks unfamiliar and I kept thinking I was going to lose my mind... I literally felt like my life was over... I have this crippling fear that dr will come back stonger and that it’ll be enough for me to end it... I don’t know what to do anymore... I can’t go anywhere without fearing I’ll get a dr attack... I fear that I won’t be able to cope anymore... any advice? can anyone relate?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hello, your dr sounds very similar to how I used to experience the onset, I had real fear of it returning especially when I was run down. Firstly, don't give yourself dr by worrying about dr!

Try and approach your anxiety with the knowledge that it is just excess adrenaline causing all the physical and mental symptoms. It's really nasty I know when everything goes unfamiliar and the feeling of losing control, I suffer most from the existential thoughts and ruminations. I used to walk around fearing place I'd been when I was feeling like that, I also developed an aversion to summer days and agoraphobia because dr always seemed to hit me when I was having fun in the sun. It took me a long time not to fear panic itself, but it is essential. You always survive and always improve.

It sounds like you've hit a bit of a bad patch so first and foremost: self-care, and lots of it. Get those 8 hours of rest, drink plenty of water. Consider distracting yourself with a hobby you'd like to take up, even gaming. Go easy on the alcohol until you feel a bit smoother again.

Don't fear the fear, you WILL be okay.

And if dr hits again, we're all here for you whenever you need

·
Registered
47 Posts
so yesterday I had really bad anxiety attack and the only thing racing through my mind was that I'm going to get dr again... for me, dr hits me really bad when I'm stressed... It starts lingering with thoughts about the world and my mind and I start thinking about my mental health... and then it hits me with a huge anxiety attack and everything suddenly looks unfamiliar and I kept thinking I was going to lose my mind... I literally felt like my life was over... I have this crippling fear that dr will come back stonger and that it'll be enough for me to end it... I don't know what to do anymore... I can't go anywhere without fearing I'll get a dr attack... I fear that I won't be able to cope anymore... any advice? can anyone relate?
That's the nature of your particular anxiety - the fear of losing your mind.

And everything suddenly looks different because you've already triggered the release of stress hormone via your patterned way of thinking (which is what you'll have to re-train if you want to break the panic cycle) and so you experience these common feelings that people like you or myself tend to hyper focus on and so the anxiety cycle continues.

But the past is the best predictor of the future my friend - How many times have you lost your mind forever. Zero.

Advice - since you asked...

I was in the same boat for sure, and with the same particular anxiety you have.

I learned what I could about the panic cycle, and did the almost religious work required to have faith that this is really just anxiety running amuck and it could be cured. Half the problem is you believe the nonsense in your head instead of looking at things objectively and believing them - BUT, most people here need to stop trying to think their way out of something they thought themselves into; and so you'll have to draw your power and resolve from somewhere deeper than surface thought.

Applicable advice?

I read this piece http://nothingworks.weebly.com/

It's very long, but the most important thing I got out of it was that our limbic system watches our body's response to things and decides whether we're in stressful situations that require fight or flight stress hormone to be released - so if you can learn which of your behaviors you do when you're anxious (checking pulse, looking around excessively to see if things look different, tensing up your shoulders, and so on) and if you can consciously stop these behaviors or nip them in the bud as they're popping up; and instead do the opposite of what you feel (opening up your shoulders and popping your chest out if you wanted to curl up. etc) THAN in fact you'll trick your body's guard towers and successfully sneak out of the anxiety prison you unconsciously perpetuate. It's a pretty literal "fake it til you make it" strategy. It works... takes some time and practice though. And DON'T get discouraged if you fail... one step backwards, two steps forward.

Good luck!
smile.png

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much for the advice guys! there’s times when I feel so discouraged because it happens again and again. there is only so much someone can take and sometimes you just don’t feel like fighting. but I know it’s only temporary, although in the moment it feels like forever... I was already imagining myself in a mental hospital... but I know that’s all anxiety. dr is so traumatizing for me... there was a period where I felt stuck inside my mind... somehow I broke free and I’m just terrified to go back into that hole... I’m only 20 and all this has stopped me from truly living my life... I’m suppose to go somewhere for a week with my family and I’m scared that I’ll have an “episode”... during an episode... all I can do is sit in my room and wait it out... and it’s hell... I don’t want my family to be asking me if I’m okay... that’ll only give me even more anxiety... (my parents don’t really believe me when it came to my anxiety) so Imagine if i told them I have dr too... they’d think I’m insane... I don’t even know how to explain dr... like how do you tell someone you don’t know what’s happening in your mind, without them thinking your crazy...

·
Registered
445 Posts
man It's so hard when your so young and just getting to grips with the beast, I fully sympathise. I know EXACTLY what it's like and spent most of my teens not knowing what was going on with my mind, and hiding it from my parents. All I can say is there will come a time when you are free of this and will be absolutely slaying life. Sure it might come around from time to time, but all I've learnt from DP is it's a life of extreme downs and extreme ups

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again. I really hope you’re right, I want to be able to really enjoy life. I rarely get on these sites. but when I do, I’m glad that there’s others who understand what I’m going through.

·
Registered
47 Posts
thank you so much for the advice guys! there's times when I feel so discouraged because it happens again and again. there is only so much someone can take and sometimes you just don't feel like fighting. but I know it's only temporary, although in the moment it feels like forever...

Well that's more than half the battle.
smile.png

I was already imagining myself in a mental hospital...

I can totally empathize.
smile.png

but I know that's all anxiety. dr is so traumatizing for me... there was a period where I felt stuck inside my mind... somehow I broke free and I'm just terrified to go back into that hole...

Makes sense, it's a pretty traumatic experience.

I'm only 20 and all this has stopped me from truly living my life...

Perhaps it's interrupted your usual mode of operation - but you will be a better more well rounded person because of it - better equipped to deal with anxiety that would cripple others. Think of it as a journey - like your own personal lord of the rings, or (insert dope fantasy story you enjoy) - except this is the real deal, fraught with your own personal demons - and when you come out the other side I bet you'll be more proud of the accomplishment in retrospect than just about anything else you accomplish in this life. My point is, I promise that (even though there's a lot of suffering) it's not time wasted... You're actually doing some real deal life work here.

I'm suppose to go somewhere for a week with my family and I'm scared that I'll have an "episode"... during an episode... all I can do is sit in my room and wait it out...

At least your not throwing all the furniture in the pool, or making wall art with your feces during your family trip.
tongue.png
- hiding out in your room is pretty benign.

and it's hell... I don't want my family to be asking me if I'm okay...

Natural to ask of people you care about. But I encourage you to tell them you're experiencing bad anxiety if you're having it.

that'll only give me even more anxiety...

(my parents don't really believe me when it came to my anxiety)

That's odd since close to 20% of adults in the U.S. suffer from clinically diagnosable anxiety - just look at the commercials on TV. Who do your parents think they're trying to sell that stuff to.

Also you're folks aren't mental health professionals and if they haven't had nervous breakdowns themselves it'll be hard for them to empathize - BUT they should certainly understand its a real nasty thing you're doing battle with and that their support would mean a lot - and if you phrase it that way I'd be surprised if they didn't respect that - but you'd still have all the people here in this community behind you - people who actually get it.

so Imagine if i told them I have dr too... they'd think I'm insane...

I don't even know how to explain dr... like how do you tell someone you don't know what's happening in your mind, without them thinking your crazy...

DP/DR are really just lasting physiological symptoms of anxiety. Handle the anxiety and the rest of the heads will fall off the beast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts