Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had DP/DR for 2.5 years, and I have been working so hard to recover that I've lost what used to be my life's meaning--helping others through social work. I am a singer in Los Angeles, and I want to organize a benefit for a charity for mental health. I'd like to use people's personal stories that are coupled with their favorite songs of hope. And I'd just like to know what your favorite hopeful songs are anyway. Mine are "If You Want Me To" by Ginny Owens and "When You Believe" from the Prince of Egypt soundtrack. I'd love for you to leave a note, or if you'd like to write out your story and have it involved in the benefit, please let me know.

Much, much love. Be kind to yourself today!

Emily

·
Registered
21 Posts
Music is the main reason that im still here. When im sad i listen to sad music and when happy then different but i listen all kind of music and try to find out what the artist is trying to say. This one is my favourite song of hope by Bonobo its like accepting life like it is and in the end its beautiful :) No singing but instruments tells everything.Enjoy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, that's a beautiful song! Thanks for sharing that.

I've always liked this song by Enya:

It has special meaning at the moment though, sometimes life can be an epic struggle. Fighting this dr thing to me is just that, it's an epic struggle to try to recover how you should be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Music is the main reason that im still here. When im sad i listen to sad music and when happy then different but i listen all kind of music and try to find out what the artist is trying to say. This one is my favourite song of hope by Bonobo its like accepting life like it is and in the end its beautiful :) No singing but instruments tells everything.Enjoy
I loved this one. Got any other similar ones?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I have suffered several epic episodes of major depression in my lifetime. I have been an avid reader and enjoy listening to all genres of music, but when I am in the midst of a depressive episode, I can do neither. Those simple tasks are just too taxing on my exhausted mind. So, when I am depression free, I take advantage of the moment. One song that expresses the joy of those times is:

"I Feel Love" by Blue Man Group with Venus Hum.

·
Registered
353 Posts
For the past few weeks, I've been developing an interest in this Russian singer who goes by the name of Vitas. I recently found a song of his called "The Star" and fell in love with it. But when I looked for the translation of the song, I fell even more in love with it. The English words can be found here. I love it because of Vitas' enchanting voice and the message in the song. To me, it means that while a goal that you wish to achieve (one of mine being recovering from DPDR) may seem far away, it doesn't mean that it will never happen. It serves to me as a reminder to hang on, even I feel the want to give up.

I got DP/DR after a relationship with a person I loved with all my heart ended, with the last few months of it being especially tumultuous. She was a person I loved dearly, but I failed to see how harmful she was to my emotional health. Along with that, there were some events that happened during the time in which we were together that also greatly impacted my emotional and mental well-being. After we broke up, I felt like I was broken. I also felt like I would never love again and that I didn't deserve to feel love. It's been a rocky two years (broke up in 2014) dealing with DP/DR and more, but I no longer feel the want to crawl back to her. I also feel like I really am going to recover from this hell of a disorder.

P.S. Hello, name twin (OP)!

·
Jedi Knight
428 Posts

Reactions: Nayr_Enivel

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got DP/DR after a relationship with a person I loved with all my heart ended, with the last few months of it being especially tumultuous. She was a person I loved dearly, but I failed to see how harmful she was to my emotional health. Along with that, there were some events that happened during the time in which we were together that also greatly impacted my emotional and mental well-being. After we broke up, I felt like I was broken. I also felt like I would never love again and that I didn't deserve to feel love. It's been a rocky two years (broke up in 2014) dealing with DP/DR and more, but I no longer feel the want to crawl back to her. I also feel like I really am going to recover from this hell of a disorder.

P.S. Hello, name twin (OP)!
Good to hear. Keep believing. :)

That guy has a very special voice. I like it.

:D

"Just a man and his will to survive!"

·
Registered
3 Posts

This song always makes me emotional but in an uplifting, reassuring way - like I'm not pretending the bad isn't happening, but I'm also celebrating the good things that have happened and eventually will make it through. The chorus has become a sort of mantra for me, helping me through little things like losing my house keys because of brain fog and bigger things like dealing with my chronic pain/derealization and losing my grandmother. I really love the ending, especially.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts