Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we all Dp because we have immense pain of some sort we dont want to face.

i mean yea, i am getting out and trying to refocus my mind, but as soon as i snap back into reality there is so much pain to face, damage under the surface, any suggestions as to how to handle that without flipping back?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Psychoanalytic therapy, in which you talk and allow yourself to feel the painful feelings in the presence of the therapist. There's healing in those tears and horrible feelings.

Think of the feelings as a giant zit on your psyche. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, i guess that would be the answer. sometimes it just seems like the pain i feel never goes away, even if i talk about it. Sometimes it feels like i dont even know what im running from. Im just driven into patterns of obsession and thought and ive been doing it for so long i dont even know anymore what i feel. but i know something terrible is driving me to my actions.

so talking and expressing stored emotion will free me from my past?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Acknowledging all your feelings, facing them truthfully (the most painful ones tend to be blocked so it's hard to face them at all) usually releases them but it takes time. I used to think those were just words that made sense but had no idea how deep I had to go or where to begin. Many people believe the body stores it all (John Upledger and Alice Miller, for example) and that our illnesses indicate where our traumas are. I got dp at 15 years old. This is when my social life increased and my mother was jealous of my contacts outside. I was also quite bright and she hated my intelligence. She is still jealous of me (she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, characterized by pathological jealousy and an ability to lie that you would not believe) So what do I get? Dp! It's the perfect way to obey her wishes and prevent myself from thinking well, feeling good about myself and making a good life for myself. And she doesn't have to take any responsibility for it. It's such a strange illness that she can easily pretend I don't have it.
I think you're right. I think many of us have some pain we're suppressing. You couldn't have convinced me of that ten years ago when my life was still good and I seemed to have control over it. I would have thought you were just one of those people who think they know you better than you know yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts