Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this since July now, and been trying to figure out how to deal with it and still live a semi-normal life under the circumstances. The one thing everyone tells me is to keep going like usual and expose myself to the situations I find uncomfortable and scary, which I've really tried to do for months now. My therapist keeps telling me that if I challenge myself and do the hard things, it'll eventually get easier and less scary. Now to me that's just not true.

Since the beginning of this, I've tried to go to school as much as I can, go out alone (which sounds easy but is hard considering my social anxiety), meet up with friends, go into stores etc. Just everyday life things. I'll supposedly feel better after doing it, but if anything it ends up making it worse. I'm not gonna say it's total shit, going on walks by myself every once in a while has helped a tiny bit, and I feel somewhat proud of myself for doing these hard things. But all in all, I end up being even more terrified of the things I'm supposed to do. I don't feel less dissociated, and I'm not less scared. It just makes me aware of just how awful it can feel, which makes me avoid it even more. Since the beginning of this, it's only gotten worse, even though I haven't stopped doing what I have to do. It's not until these past 2-3 months I've almost stopped going out and started avoiding any little thing. And that's just because I'm completely traumatised from "exposing myself to my fears".

"Ignoring it" and "waiting for it to pass" does not work. Nor does "accepting my feelings", with that I mean in these uncomfortable situations. Is there nothing else to do? By this point I have accepted that I feel this way, and I have gotten used to it somewhat. But that's only when I'm at home in safety, anything else is horrifying.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there nothing else to do but expose yourself to the scary things? Is the only cure to ignore it and move on?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I've had this since July now, and been trying to figure out how to deal with it and still live a semi-normal life under the circumstances. The one thing everyone tells me is to keep going like usual and expose myself to the situations I find uncomfortable and scary, which I've really tried to do for months now. My therapist keeps telling me that if I challenge myself and do the hard things, it'll eventually get easier and less scary. Now to me that's just not true.

Since the beginning of this, I've tried to go to school as much as I can, go out alone (which sounds easy but is hard considering my social anxiety), meet up with friends, go into stores etc. Just everyday life things. I'll supposedly feel better after doing it, but if anything it ends up making it worse. I'm not gonna say it's total shit, going on walks by myself every once in a while has helped a tiny bit, and I feel somewhat proud of myself for doing these hard things. But all in all, I end up being even more terrified of the things I'm supposed to do. I don't feel less dissociated, and I'm not less scared. It just makes me aware of just how awful it can feel, which makes me avoid it even more. Since the beginning of this, it's only gotten worse, even though I haven't stopped doing what I have to do. It's not until these past 2-3 months I've almost stopped going out and started avoiding any little thing. And that's just because I'm completely traumatised from "exposing myself to my fears".

"Ignoring it" and "waiting for it to pass" does not work. Nor does "accepting my feelings", with that I mean in these uncomfortable situations. Is there nothing else to do? By this point I have accepted that I feel this way, and I have gotten used to it somewhat. But that's only when I'm at home in safety, anything else is horrifying.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there nothing else to do but expose yourself to the scary things? Is the only cure to ignore it and move on?
For me exposure never worked for my anxiety , BUT it is a mistake to avoid to much because it makes it worse in the end. Ive got an (C)PTSD diagnose late in life and everything stems from that. DpDr, anxiety, social phobia.... To make that better I had to start working with that who started my PTSD, my childhood. I think people can benefit from looking in to what is the cause of anxiety and work with that to solve it.

It is not easy work thou, it hurts like H. But you start to come back to your old self again little by little and that is a priceless feeling.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
I think it has to come from you, like if it's your movement in your recovery, your choice, then that's good, but if you are not ready or if it's pushed on you, then it's not good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts