Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Explain DP

1417 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Chicane
So right now please explain DP the best possible way you can, for me the best way i can explain it is when like your in the room alone and on your bed and get spooked and get in the covers and somehow it makes you feel safe like your under an armored blanket or something but i get that safe feeling with like a blanket over me and block my enviorment..thats the best way i can explain it but im glad to hear what you guys have to say..!
Reactions: 1
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
DP comes in so many different formats. Lots of people have physical symptoms, lots of visual symptoms, lots of mostly mental symptoms and some have neither but simply feel strange and out of place somehow, so everyone's experience is gonna differ, especially depending on how they got it.

For me, DP feels most like a dream. It's as if I went to sleep and each day for nearly a thousand days now I've slowly waken up, but it's so slow that I can't feel it day to day. It's only after months and really years that I can look back and say I'm more awake than before.

DP, for me, is also a complete loss of the self. It's a deconstruction of mind, body and soul. It's as if I'm a compilation of flesh, mind and spirit, yet neither have any relation to the other and are functioning separately based on whatever task I'm attempting to tackle. Though I know who I am, I have not actually felt like an actual person since getting DP. It's sorta like the Pinocchio version of mental illness: You are a soul inside a body that doesn't feel like it belongs to you and all you want is to feel reconnected with what you know is your true self.

Though these emotions are difficult to cope with, by far the most frustrating symptoms I have are visual and cognitive. Visual snow, photophobia, palinopsia, macropsia and other cognitive malfunctions make it extremely difficult to function on a daily basis because it's as if I'm living in a never-ending psychedelic funhouse cartoon. I understand now that "reality" is simply a healthy mind, not a way the world actually exists independently of your perception of it.

The worst part of DP, as I see it, is not simply the lack of a "cure," but rather the lack of any sort of professionally sanctioned treatment, recognition, assessment testing or flat out acknowledgment that this condition exists and is mindbogglingly horrific and painful and nothing I'd with on anybody in the history of the world to deal with. How many "professionals" even know this exists? How many know what to do if it does? I just wish there was more movement in this regard. Far too many people have already suffered. I don't understand why, given our advances in technology, we can't at least some up with something to manage symptoms and improve lives.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
1 - 1 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.