122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having extremely existential thoughts like the following:

- I think about how the universe can even exist
- I think about how weird it is we're living on a rock in space
- I think about how it's weird we exist and are conscious
- I get scared of the idea of eternity
- I've also been having a lot of death anxiety

can someone say if they've had any of these thoughts so I don't think I'm losing my mind please?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’ve had a lot of existential fears/questioning too. Not just simple philosophical questions, the whole concept of everything existing is just so unbelievably weird and scary. It makes the dpdr pretty unbearable. You’re not losing your mind at all, I think most people have a hard time grasping our existence. And it’s not like the dpdr, anxiety and overthinking make it easier.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've had a lot of existential fears/questioning too. Not just simple philosophical questions, the whole concept of everything existing is just so unbelievably weird and scary. It makes the dpdr pretty unbearable. You're not losing your mind at all, I think most people have a hard time grasping our existence. And it's not like the dpdr, anxiety and overthinking make it easier.
Thanks for commenting. The thoughts feel so strange. Like the fact that I'm a person talking to other ppl is weird.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for commenting. The thoughts feel so strange. Like the fact that I'm a person talking to other ppl is weird.
Yeah I've had those thoughts too. Like the only thing you can think about when talking to someone is how strange it is that they're actual humans looking at you. I've had moments where I'm not at all able to comprehend the fact that someone is actually there, perceiving me in some way. It's definitely a weird feeling

·
Registered
149 Posts
This morning I was observing my classmates, trying to will myself into thinking and feeling that they are real human beings and not skme fake illusion of my own imagination or something, and then suddenly I felt a jolt of depersonalization. It suddenly felt very weird (more than usual) to be a human, as if I am not a human but rather being human is a component of me, which is just so abstract and scary to me.

Anyways, Ive has hundreds of other experiences like that, and the existential thoughts themselves are basically ongoing, you aren't alone trust me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This morning I was observing my classmates, trying to will myself into thinking and feeling that they are real human beings and not skme fake illusion of my own imagination or something, and then suddenly I felt a jolt of depersonalization. It suddenly felt very weird (more than usual) to be a human, as if I am not a human but rather being human is a component of me, which is just so abstract and scary to me.

Anyways, Ive has hundreds of other experiences like that, and the existential thoughts themselves are basically ongoing, you aren't alone trust me.
Yeah that sounds like me too. Thank you for replying and making me feel better.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I find it interesting that all of us will likely be compressed, someday, into the singularity of a black hole. Do you know where to find a black hole? At the center of every galaxy. Planets and stars spin around black holes, while their orbits slowly grow smaller and smaller until they cross the black hole's event horizon. Not even light can escape from there. A burp of Hawking radiation, and that's that. But, I don't let it interrupt my life strategy of avoiding pain and seeking pleasure. I think Herman Hesse explained it in his novel "Siddhartha". You are human. Pursue your human desires to fulfillment. Then take eternity off as your reward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts