Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a quote on enlightenment and since we all talk about how dp is kind of an enlightenment I wanted to throw this out there:

"Enlightenment is a destructive process. It has nothing to do with becoming better or becoming happier. Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth. It's the seeing through the facade of pretense. And it's the complete eradication of everything we imagined to be true.

-Adyashanti

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok a word of advice. DONT read this stuff about enlightenment about no self and shit like that whilst DP'd. because you dont understand it at ALL ok? im so tired of all these enlightenment bullshit talk from people with DP who think theyve reached enlightenment DP is the COMPLETE opposite of enlightenment for one very simple reason. ITS BUILT ON LIES!!! as stated above enlightenment is reached when you have faced your fears, insecureties and doubts and when you have stripped yourself of selfhatred, negative selftalk and especially when youve stripped yourself of LIES you tell yourself on a daily basis.

DP is existential hell and understanding nothing about life (almost) and enlightenment is when youve reached TOTAL insight and when your not unsure of nothing when it comes to yourself or your reality. Especially you or your reality.

strong tip if you dont want to missinterpret these things and go into deeper DP DONT read these things. and if you do want to try to understand i advice you to think reeeeally hard about HOW you should interpret the words. Sorry for taking this so seriously but im soooo fed up with enlightenment and DP beeing mixed up!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok a word of advice. DONT read this stuff about enlightenment about no self and shit like that whilst DP'd. because you dont understand it at ALL ok? im so tired of all these enlightenment bullshit talk from people with DP who think theyve reached enlightenment DP is the COMPLETE opposite of enlightenment for one very simple reason. ITS BUILT ON LIES!!! as stated above enlightenment is reached when you have faced your fears, insecureties and doubts and when you have stripped yourself of selfhatred, negative selftalk and especially when youve stripped yourself of LIES you tell yourself on a daily basis.

DP is existential hell and understanding nothing about life (almost) and enlightenment is when youve reached TOTAL insight and when your not unsure of nothing when it comes to yourself or your reality. Especially you or your reality.

strong tip if you dont want to missinterpret these things and go into deeper DP DONT read these things. and if you do want to try to understand i advice you to think reeeeally hard about HOW you should interpret the words. Sorry for taking this so seriously but im soooo fed up with enlightenment and DP beeing mixed up!
I agree. Getting rid of dp is going to be a lifelong journey if serious steps aren't taken to keep it under control. I have to constantly check myself on enmeshment. God today was a bad day, dp worse than usual, felt like I had lost my free will, felt like I had no control over my speech. I am going to try and focus on the present and work on getting my issues under control. Alot of it has to do with being in less than ideal circumstances that I can't 'escape'. Being 'stuck' creates that sense of no free will. It's no coincidence that facing phobias at first makes you feel 'stuck' and how that brings on dp symptoms too.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Enlightenment is the realisation that we are pure consciousness and not an object in the world.

That's all it is. It's nothing to do with facing your fears, because, if you look at those fears from a conventional advaita vedanta perspective then they are illusory because the 'self' that has those fears doesn't really exist.

Enlightenment is 100% a destructive process.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Enlightenment is the realisation that we are pure consciousness and not an object in the world.

That's all it is. It's nothing to do with facing your fears, because, if you look at those fears from a conventional advaita vedanta perspective then they are illusory because the 'self' that has those fears doesn't really exist.

Enlightenment is 100% a destructive process.
That is....hmm, can you put those words in simpler language for me? I'm really dumb.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Enlightenment is the same as ego death, when your ego and all of its defenses fail, or you willingly let them go, you'll come to see there's no separation between you and everything around you and that you are consciousness itself.

I've had very brief glimpses of it. It feels like death. It's not a pleasant thing. If you think it'll bring you happiness, you're wrong. Enlightenment is a loss of the associations you've formed to deal with emotional trauma, and it will bring out all of the pain you'd expect from that kind of loss.

On a side note, I've heard it said that only energy exists, and that this energy changes from one form into another and sometimes become conscious. What we call life is just the process of energy becoming conscious for a while, and death is its descent back into unconsciousness. It cycles over and over, as a natural process.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What the username <VET>TheGame is completely true. People don't understand what enlightenment is and what he said about it being the complete opposite of DP/DR is totally true. I haven't by any means reached full enlightenment yet, but that's what I really want. I have experienced periods of enlightenment for days and these higher states of consciousness are the most amazing states to live in - they are completely natural. You will never feel at so much peace and love when you experience what it feels like to LET GO of your pain and suffering and all of the negativity. I have recovered entirely from DP/DR. I come back to this page to help people, and I have a youtube channel where I post videos to help people with this problem. The DP'd mind cannot comprehend what enlightenment is, so I would not recommend reading about it, if that's what you are doing. Just let go, and the most healing and transformative thing you can do for yourself and for the DP and DR is to live entirely in the present moment, regardless of the way you feel, and regardless of what the present moment brings to you. Accept everything. Stop resisting everything. Accept, and be present, and you will recover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Enlightenment, is indeed a destructive process. The enlightened man is the genius described by Schopenhauer, it's the absurd hero described by Albert Camus. It's the puppet who sees the strings above his body. Any other explanation, is just one of the unlimited ways of fooling oneself in order to avoid true enlightenment, which is indeed making darkness conscious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enlightenment isn’t very accurate a word. mokSa or Liberation is closer. No longer being in bondage to my notional sense that I am nearly always separated from the joy that I love. Attaining DPD and surviving with it, is no easy task. The freedom that liberation points to, is not another experience of emotions or uncertainty based in unclear assumptions about the nature of reality (including oneself.).

its not to deny the appearance of the dualistic world but to end the division of the seeker-sought notion. Put an end to that and one is not at all disassociatEd or divided from anything. the nature of the world, is non-separate from me. freedom or liberation is total clarity, not some uncertain set of scary fears

·
Registered
295 Posts
It has always struck me as odd, reading Buddhisty stuff, that understanding, or achieving, Anatman, or “no self” is presumably something that is hard to do, is a life-changing insight, is something that takes lots of time, meditation, practice, etc. to accept, to understand, to feel.

And for me, all it takes is waking up, is getting out of bed, is opening my eyes, and becoming, once again, conscious. And it is in no way liberating but is demoralizing, is painful, and is accompanied by hopelessness.

I’ve wondered that maybe what I experience as no self, is in fact all self, is being completely encapsulated in self. I’ve also wondered if Buddhisty stuff is, like all mysticism, (to me) a load of crap, lol.
anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts