Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered that this may be in part due to overload and down regulation of endocannabinnoid receptors?

Looking at this list, I would say I have most symptoms. Panic that is numb but I can never relax, I would say I am paranoid but also that is for good reason as I cannot follow conversations due to reaction times and short term memory issues.

Supposedly you can microdose THC to get good effects, but it is so powerful that if you get 'high' you get the opposite effects. So small amounts can improve memory and mood and anxiety, but a large dose makes memory worse, makes you paranoid and anxious....

I have tried CBD to some effect but I think a small amount of THC (and I mean a tiny amount in drops, no chance of getting high) could improve those effects..

Personally my DPD started with a big dose of weed ingested and the smoked... silly stuff in hindsight. Weed did give me symptoms of derealisation when high, and then a big dose made that permanent. So I dont know if a sensible, tiny dose, might help a overactivated and endocannabinoid system.... just a theory

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2993463/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey Broken,

when i understood the study right, it describes especially the positive effects from cbd on physically pain and less topics of self-awareness, psychic processes and emotionality. Do you know serious encannaboid studies that shows impacts on that topics ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No unfortunately I dont know any studies. Will have a look at some point. But my theory is that THC can have a positive impact at smaller doses, but negative at higher doses as it overloads the receptors. CBD has been known to help anxiety and there was a study on psychosis (easily googled) where CBD actually LOWERED symptoms of schizophrenia.... this was a shock study as weed is so known to be a trigger for schizophrenia... I dont think I have this, but I have some symptoms like paranoia and issues with concentration and memory

CBD is very expensive, and in the study they used 500mg. With time, CBD will be pharmaceutically produced and cheap to buy large amounts. But a tiny amount of THC will also have a good effect is my theory. I have ordered THC drops, should take a week or two to come. To be updated here...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dose is absolutely vital with it as it is so powerful. And THC;CBD ratio. Ideally a lot of CBD and very tiny THC amount. THC in tiny amounts can do absolute miracles for peoples memories. Also it doesnt matter if the dose is small or moderate, it helps equally with pain. Also, in small amounts it helps anxiety, but up the dose and anxiety actually INCREASES.

So, dose must be tiny to the point you dont even feel "high". This is my experiment, I am not recommending this to anyone. I should know within a month what happens and report back here to everyone. It seems to me personally though that the endocannabonnoid system was involved with my DPD

·
Registered
164 Posts
okay, you want to start...can i ask you how old are you ?

you wrote that you have sometimes paranoia and memory problems..its not imperative to have psychosis with only these symptoms... and to deny psychosis its important that the so called "reality check" works well that means that you dont have a imperative conviction from some believe system and can questioning about these issues.

And its rare to get a first manifestation of psychosis after the age of 35

How do you get dp/dr or what ever you call it

let us know about your experience...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Want to start what? lol

I am 34, have had the symptoms of DPDR for 16 years since 18 years old. Its not that I am paranoid, it is that I have such poor memory problems that I often miss things, and the other half of the time I am anxious I am missing things (which I often do).

I had a panic attack after consuming and smoking marijuana, that is how things started for me, since then it has been chronic DPDR... like I say, I will update here in a few weeks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair enough I used to think this. It is a very powerful drug for sure, thus why I am only taking a tiny dose and not aiming to get 'high'. My theory is that the 'high' is a sign of an overload of the CB1 receptors, which isnt beneficial. Sure, things taste amazing, sound amazing, feel amazing.... my theory is that either other time or in one episode, my receptors were overloaded and perhaps damaged/downregulated...

In theory, microdosing these things can upregulate receptors again. Also, with lots of CBD. This is just a theory, CBD had good effects for me that quickly went away as I presume the body adapts. THC is very powerful, but in small doses I believe it could "awaken" some of the brain regions that become overstimulated and perhaps shut down and downregulated CB1 receptors there leaving me with a permanent feeling of being 'high'. This is a very speculative theory, and one I dont recommend it to anybody. But one thing I have learnt about myself is that I will never give up, and I will try anything and everything to get rid of this damn illness

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just updated a quote that I found interesting:

"Sulak has also noticed that the use of lower doses can actually lead to increased sensitivity to cannabis over time, thus underscoring the importance of staying at low levels for the first few days of microdosing. While this is merely observational, Sulak notes that tests on animals suggest that low-level doses of THC can result in an upregulation of the endocannabinoid system (for endocannabinoid production as well as expression of its receptors).

"If you are building tolerance to THC, you are building tolerance to your body's own cannabinoids, which are there for the purpose of promoting balance and health," says Sulak. "So having a highly sensitive endocannabinoid system is extremely valuable for responding to illness, injury, and stress, and people can achieve that with low doses of cannabis."

This does line up with my theory that I overloaded the system with skunk at a young age and potentially damaged receptors and brain regions with cb1 receptors.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/microdosing-weed-guide

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took 3 drops, which is approximately 0.15ml, which would be roughly 3mg THC in the dose that I have. These are very rough figures, but what I intend to stick to.

I feel not an awful lot, but that is good and to be expected. I dont want to overly feel too much tbh.

I feel my face more in a strange way, unsure if I feel more relaxed.. perhaps slightly. But could easily be placebo. This is far more easily controlled than the mushroom microdosing I did, and it shouldnt deteriorate. It is a long term project. I do perhaps feel tired, but then again I have been all day lol. So nothing to report. I am hoping the main thing that happens is improved sleep but will come back when there is more to tell

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another study outlining that "feeling high" caused by THC, is thought to be through lowered blood flow to the frontal cortex and insula. For me, when my DPD started, I described it like being high all the time. So perhaps through excessive amounts of THC these effects were made more permanent.

I do suspect a huge dose of CBD could help, but I did try a large amount once (300mg) but to no effect. I am hoping my microdose of THC has a positive effect on the endocannabinnoid system which I strongly suspect is involved somehow. I feel a better mood and more relaxed now, small dose. No miracles yet, but do feel I will sleep well tonight

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21489346/

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Feel different today... cant quite pinpoint what that means yet lol. I know when I take it again tonight just before bed that I will sleep a lot better.

This is an interesting quote to through in with the theory. Perhaps CB1 receptors were internalised and therefore effectively had less receptors as a result of overloading with THC. Theory being, a microdose can up regulate receptors or an antagonist like CBD also does this

"The CB1 receptor is expressed pre-synaptically at both glutaminergic and GABAergic interneurons and, in effect, acts as a neuromodulator to inhibit release of glutamate and GABA.[16] Repeated administration of receptor agonists may result in receptor internalization and/ or a reduction in receptor protein signalling.[10]"

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I feel a definite effect on mood and relaxation. Hard to tell with sleep as last night was the hottest night of the year! Below outlines the logic with why I am doing this. So the theory is an overstimulation of the endocannabinnoid system at a young age through abuse of high THC low CBD skunk marjuana.

I am hoping that a very small dose will bring some life back into this system as it may have been damaged, either receptors or brain pathways, so I am hoping it will stimulate these systems. Perhaps my DP/DR I got whilst "high" was a signal of a vulnerable endocannabinoid system that was overstimulated...

I certainly dont feel high now on a microdose. Something I have noticed is I am able to feel my face more... strange observation. I will go on for 2 months daily until I run out

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/microdosing-weed-guide

"While this is merely observational, Sulak notes that tests on animals suggest that low-level doses of THC can result in an upregulation of the endocannabinoid system (for endocannabinoid production as well as expression of its receptors).

"If you are building tolerance to THC, you are building tolerance to your body's own cannabinoids, which are there for the purpose of promoting balance and health," says Sulak. "So having a highly sensitive endocannabinoid system is extremely valuable for responding to illness, injury, and stress, and people can achieve that with low doses of cannabis.""

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think it's possible that the endocannabinnoid system is involved. I know it is involved with healing physical trauma and injury.. inflammation is often involved with injury.

Wouldnt be surprised if the natural endocannabinnoid system is somehow compromised either genetically or through emotional trauma. And smoking weed just shows this issue. I would zone out and dissociate on weed... after abusing the drug I am stuck in that state.

I dont believe in homeopathy, but can see how small doses of cbd/thc could help heal that system. Much like a small amount of stress is good for you like cold showers or exercise. I feel pretty good anyway and maybe am sleeping better (hard to tell with a newborn baby in the house).

It's the same with absolutely any drug. Abuse it and it does harm. Take in a sensible dose and it can heal things. THC is an incredibly powerful drug. I took 3mg yday and it felt too much. Lowered to 2mg today and felt it hit the spot more. An average spliff is about 30mg thc, and inhaling is a far quicker onset and quicker peak. Time will tell if this will work anyway.

Edit; So it is easy to see that a quick and fast peak just overloads that system leading to dissociation as we have a weakened "self soothing" pathway if you like. There is a woman in Scotland that has a rare gene mutation, that causes her to produce excess amounts of anandamide (our own endocannabinnoid). She feels no pain, and regularly hurts herself accidentally, and she feels no FEAR or anxiety. Imagine that? I think DPD is definitely too much anxiety/fear, either through trauma or lack of endocannabinnoids (probably both). I feel pretty good emotionally anyway, which isnt bad for 5 days low dose. Results will probably take a month or two

1 - 20 of 28 Posts