Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of DPDR's symptoms is impairment in 'emotional memory'. For example, for so long with DPDR I couldn't feel anything towards my mother. I'd look at her, and there's nothing. I rationally recognize it's my mom, but I don't feel anything towards her, at all.

It's no longer a symptom I struggle with, but I've experienced a weird thing recently.

My brother was driving me back home from the hospital one day, he took an unfamiliar, longer, road because it was less traffic. It was nighttime.

It felt weird. Like he wasn't my brother, or possibly a human, I had an unwavering feeling of being kidnapped. Maybe not kidnapped, but like he wasn't my brother, in a way something evil was going on, it felt, and the way the dark dimmed streets looked, felt like there was no existence of time, or my real life had actual relevance. Like we were in a tunnel in time and space.

I could not shake it off not matter what I did.

It honestly doesnt sound benign to me.

I did experience a similar feeling today going on a trip with my family but I think something distracted me before it could go on any longer.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah I've had similar experiences to this. It can be quite frightening. I've been a passenger in a car and felt like I no longer recognised the outside environment even though it was my home town and couldn't be more familiar. I can see looking back now that I was having a small panic attack. I often get extreme dp when entering a different environment. If I start to worry about it then it gets worse and worse, leading to panic. If I accept that it is normal to feel like that for the initial first minute or two, then it starts to fade. You recognised that distraction helped yourself. I suppose the key is to accept it and then focus on something else.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I understand this. I have no idea what it is and I appreciate it can be very hard to articulate just how wierd some DP experiences can be. Sometimes, when people make what seem to me to be unpleasant facial gestures and noises i get a pervasive sense of evil in that moment. Like my mum was just telling a story but then made a somewhat OTT facial gesture and my mind got that evil feeling and the scenario started to feel unfamiliar. Maybe it is a facet of anxiety, an overactive mind etc, over noticing your surroundings. Either way it's just a symptom, amd it will go

·
Registered
89 Posts
yes, i feel like that almost every day, its frightening

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I believe it is due to temporal lobe dysfunction/pathology. My EEGs are abnormal, after experiencing severe temporal lobe seizures at age 17. i went through that period where familiar things and people seemed alien.

I got most of my emotional functioning back over time. I guestimate I recovered 80%, but it took a couple of decades to do it. My research and experience suggests that our sensory input is combined with memories and

colored with emotions to give us a complete picture of our environment. Seeing mom isn't enough.. Without the emotional coloring, you can only partially recognize here. When the temporal lobe gets trashed, these

can be your symptoms. The temporal lobe is said to be exquisitely prone to insult. Common psychoactive drugs affect the temporal lobe for their effects. Stress and emotional abuse can take a toll.

The most common form of epilepsy is temporal lobe epilepsy. I had to rely on my intellect only, for quite some time following those seizures. The absence of emotions was accompanied by severe anxiety.

i was agoraphobic for a short period. I suffered DR during that period as well. The DP was more long term. Today, following ECT in 2014, my only symptoms are occasional ocular migraines which are now understood

to be the borderlands of epilepsy. As far as I know, that is the only advance they have made in 40 years in understanding my epileptic syndrome.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I believe it is due to temporal lobe dysfunction/pathology. My EEGs are abnormal, after experiencing severe temporal lobe seizures at age 17. i went through that period where familiar things and people seemed alien.
I got most of my emotional functioning back over time. I guestimate I recovered 80%, but it took a couple of decades to do it. My research and experience suggests that our sensory input is combined with memories and
colored with emotions to give us a complete picture of our environment. Seeing mom isn't enough.. Without the emotional coloring, you can only partially recognize here. When the temporal lobe gets trashed, these
can be your symptoms. The temporal lobe is said to be exquisitely prone to insult. Common psychoactive drugs affect the temporal lobe for their effects. Stress and emotional abuse can take a toll.
The most common form of epilepsy is temporal lobe epilepsy. I had to rely on my intellect only, for quite some time following those seizures. The absence of emotions was accompanied by severe anxiety.
i was agoraphobic for a short period. I suffered DR during that period as well. The DP was more long term. Today, following ECT in 2014, my only symptoms are occasional ocular migraines which are now understood
to be the borderlands of epilepsy. As far as I know, that is the only advance they have made in 40 years in understanding my epileptic syndrome.
I mentioned this to the doctor today and she has arranged for me to see a neurologist for tests. She also said she might be legally obliged to tell me to stop driving and I would have to stop driving until I find out results and/or get treatment. I immediately tried to play down the symptoms but was too late by that point. I'm still going to drive. I don't get any blackouts or phases of being unaware. It's just a feeling everything around me isn't happening, but my reactions seem intact. Wish I didn't bring it up now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Neurology dept sent a letter to my GP to say that just having depersonalisation isn't enough to have an appointment with a neurologist. The symptoms they are looking for are things like biting on your tongue and periods of memory loss followed by extreme tiredness. Otherwise I don't have any markers of seizures so I won't be getting any brain scans anytime soon. At least i still get to drive my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts