Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first topic: http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83882-intense-dp-visual-problems-that-make-it-impossible-dirty-cocaine/#entry553026

Summed up in short: Not a drug using person really at all, smoked weed a few times over the past few months and felt a few things of anxiety/early signs of dp. Did cocaine one night a few months back and the next morning woke up with the dp/dr feeling, eventually found out what it was.

It is now a few months later (almost 3) and I guess you could say its better? I'm almost just starting to think its better only because im so much more use to this feeling and vision problems that I think my dp/dr is getting better. I know it was drug induced so usually that ends up fading off once the brain gets back to normal. But does anyone have any advice or able to share how long their drug induced dp lasted for? I know everyone can be different, and for me my dp SLOWLY started every now and then (after the first few times i smoked weed over the past few months) but then once I did that stupid cocaine (or could have been cut with only god knows what else) it turned into full swing dp feeling like this for the majority of every day. Just looking for other people who have been in this situation similar to mine and can offer any advice or what they went through.

Thanks, God bless

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my DP/DR about 6 years ago. You can even see my first posts on this forum. I got it from when, after a bout of Ritalin (semi-similar to the cocaine you took) I decided to try out DXM, a dissassociative. I remember waking up the day after tripping and still tripping. Eventually I realized the strange, dream-like state I was experiencing was called DP/DR. I experienced this hell for about 9 months. It got so bad I almost ended it and took my own life. However, after thinking about my parents and family, I decided I couldn't do that. I finally just accepted that this dream-like hell was how the rest of my life was going to be. When I accepted that, my stress surrounding the situation started to fade away as I slowly worked back into my daily grind. A few months later, all my DP/DR was completely gone. I haven't experienced it since, and I'd honestly say my life now is better than it was pre-DP/DR. I can also smoke weed just fine without re-inducing it, though YOU must stay away from all drugs until your DP/DR is gone.

My theory on drug induced DR/DP is that initially, the drug shocks you so badly that you end up feeling super out of it. However, anxious people like you and I dwell on that feeling, which simply exacerbates it. This creates additional anxiety, which feeds the DR/DP, which in turn feeds the anxiety, creating a cycle. The only way to break the cycle is to lower your anxiety, which you can do. Once you learn how to do this, you'll have learned a powerful tool for dealing with anxiety and life's problems in the future.

Chill out, accept the condition, trust that it will go away, and it will. Dwelling on the condition will not help things and will just make it take longer to resolve. You're not the only one who has gone through this; plenty of us have. You just don't see them returning to this site to post their victory stories because they've moved on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh, and btw, I had the visual problems too. It's like being high all the time, 'cause your vision slows down and things go frame-to-frame. That went away too. Everything went away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and btw, I had the visual problems too. It's like being high all the time, 'cause your vision slows down and things go frame-to-frame. That went away too. Everything went away.
Yes i completely agree with post of your posts, and its very similar to my situation. Ths big problem for me is the vision, its almost impossible to go on with life and just accept the DP when most of the time my vision is constantly going through the frame to frame/THC high type vision. Its just the fear of thinking "how long do i have to endure this more" that gives me the anxiety, i don't have a whole lot of constant anxiety in my life, neither before my DP. But when i think about my life before this how i was able to enjoy it and thinking about how many more months/possibly even years i have left is what causes me to stress. It has been better since the beginning, i can cope with it a lot more and i know that i can forget about it more. I also am sober and don't plan on doing any drugs again nor smoke weed. I also don't go online checking in daily or anything on a DP forum, as i try to put as little attention to it as i possibly can, but just felt the need to make a post the other day.

Thanks for the response though, just really helps hearing from other people about their own experiences, makes you feel not alone in this struggle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're not alone, as many have been where you are, including me.

I like to think of it as a wake up call. I know if I hadn't had that experience, I would have probably tried even harder drugs and ended up addicted. However, thanks to my experience I swore off drugs and haven't touched any sense (well alcohol in social situations).

I know what you mean about the vision making it harder to forget about it. That's what happened to me too; it was a constant reminder that something was "wrong" which freaked me out and kept the DR/DP going.

Just have faith that it'll go away. This is just a mental issue, not a physical one, which means you have the control and power to make it go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts