Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a severe panic attack about a year ago and since then I've barely drove and then of course I started having dpdr.

I would like to drive again and just wondered if it's dangerous to drive while dealing with dpdr?

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
depends totally on how you feel. might seem simple, but why not just go a "country" drive if that's possible. I find driving relaxing but then again I don't have visual symptoms anymore, so that's something to think about..only you really know how you feel.

DP wise I don't see any problem, DR wise yeah I think that could be..

·
Registered
235 Posts
It doesn't seem to affect me. Driving is a very automatic thing and you'll find your reflexes do most of the work for you. It's common for people even without dp to finish a journey and feel like the whole thing has been a dream, like they weren't consciously in control. Not that you should aim for that kind of state. It's always good to consciously pay attention when driving but I think you'll be ok unless you have a serious depression, which can slow down reaction times and make you more tired behind the wheel. Otherwise, taking up driving again might help dp as you will feel more in control of your life. More control and empowerment = less anxiety.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank y'all my visual has gotten way better and I've been doing alot of my old activities again.

I really miss driving around I use to drive and just listen to music with no actual destination and I really miss it.

I'm gonna start slowly again just wanted to see how others dealt with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.