Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planned on finally getting my driver's license this summer after already putting it off for a long time. Then DP happened, it kicked in in mid-February and for some time I felt like I couldn't do anything. It hasn't gone away, but I can cope better now and I thought about still trying to pursue my license. So far I've already practiced driving at a driving test course with my father and it was overall a good experience. I found that I am actually able to focus relatively well once I start driving and feelings of detachement are barely noticable. Still I'm afraid that it wouldn't be a good idea.

As I already said I put it off for a long time, considering I'm 19 years old. There was just many other things going on at that time and living in a big city with public transport I wasn't reliant on it. I know there are people here that have chronic DP so they must have had no choice. My problem is I have no idea how long I will still have DP. It could go away in 2 months or 2 years for all I know. Or maybe I will have it forever (this is a very scary thought that I do not like to think about)

Driving can without a doubt be dangerous in certain situations and it does require focus. I don't want to cause myself or others any harm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had DP and DR when I got my license. Don’t worry dude, it feels like you aren’t in control but you know damn straight you’re in control, just keep that mindset! You can do anything, it’s just the “feeling” that you aren’t in control, but common sense will tell you “yeah but you are technically in control”. Take this from someone who’s recovered 100%, you can do anything lol. I took major exams, passed my drivers test, kept up my social life and etc etc, just make sure you get sleep and avoid caffeine when you go for it, they’re major DP triggers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts