Depersonalization Support Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I know a lot of people have replied but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents too. I experienced this for about the first 8 months of having dp. In my dreams I was normal. No dp, everything was fine and then I would wake up and I felt exactly as you said, that my dreams felt more real than reality. I would be like "NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I want to go back to sleep!!". I guess the only thing I can tell you is that it does fade with time. My dreams no longer feel more real than reality. In my dreams I still don't have dp but my waking life is just as real. I can't say more real but just as real and I haven't had the "dreams more real than reality" sensation in a good 7 months.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep i get that too. I'm like DP DR free 80% but now i have depression and anxiety that comes in waves thru day also fog or lose of concentration and pressure in head gets more intense when i eat food (does anyone have that)

·
Registered
33 Posts
it is possible you could be visiting the astral realms while you are asleep.

if that is the case then that is why it feels real, it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I've experienced this... but doesn't pretty much everyone?

Unless you are lucid dreaming, you aren't aware that you're dreaming. Dreams are where people experience their fantasies, and waking up to reality is harsh for even a person without DR/DP.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For me yeah I have such rich feeling in dreams, I feel so alive. Dreams are superior to reality, reality is lame. In my dreams Ill give you an example how its better than working your life away. I was flying over a swamp under big trees, think Yodas home world in Star Wars it was so much fun, then a few dreams later im on vaction in the Bahamas. My daily life is working over 12 hours a day for less than minimum wage, you tell me which ones better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this forum is really old. but oh well.

for me, i can sleep for a whole 24 hours even if i'm not tired. and i sometimes confuse my dreams for real life. or i sometimes i have to think about things like "wait.. did that actually happen or was that one of my dreams?"

this depersonalization disorder is kinda scary and i wish i didn't have it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, this is my first post, But this "dreams feeling more real than reality" thought really hits home with me. I won't bother to tell you my whole story in this thread but i'll summarize my experiences with sleep.

For most of last year, my DP has been quite severe and I've been trying to deal with it on my own. The first instance of a dream feeling more real than reality was almost like a nightmare for me, it happened a good few months ago.

I was asleep in my house (still living with parents) and a drifted of around 11 or so, i had this dream that was SO incredibly real, of myself walking around my house, everything exactly where it should be, literally none of the appropriate "dreamy" or fantasy illusions, it was just pure realism. I walked downstairs to my mum's room and said hello to her, and in the dream, she responded exactly how she would have in real life, with a "hiya" and a smile she always does. Then i just saw some figure in her room, i said to her "who's that man?" and she just looked at me like i was crazy. Then i woke up with the thought of her staring at me like i was crazy burned into my skull. needless to say i was beyond scared and anxious, but i haven't told anybody since it happened because i didn't want anyone to think i was going insane. This was the first "realism" dream i had, and it was by far the worst. It's so difficult to explain why the dream felt so real, but the thing is, i'm 100% certain that i felt the realness within the dream and it wasn't something i contrived upon waking. It was like picture perfect, and when i got scared in the dream, i could really feel my body actually getting scared, almost like my emotions were attached to me during the dream (not that they shouldn't be? not sure).

Since then I've had a few dreams like this here and there, i can't remember most of them, but i had one where i was helping my friend get his TV or something similar, and another another where i was dreaming of being in my house again (but not as intense). It's difficult to explain, but as others have described, it's like your dreams are picture perfect simulations of life, and when you wake up the real world appears foggy and under-stimulating.

As my current situation stands, i had a bit break down last week, hence why i'm on this forum now. I ended up not being able to sleep at all for 2 days in a row, my mind was just racing, thoughts and thoughts going round, and i ended up just crying to my mum about really personal stuff about our dad (as they broke up when i was young). I went to the doctor to try and talk some of the stuff off my chest, and she just gave me mirtazipan pills (anti-depressants). Took the pills for a couple of days but they made me so drowsy and empty; it felt like the exact opposite of what i needed. I'm not having any trouble getting to sleep anymore, and as for my dreams i can hardly remember them to be honest. My only issue is now just before bed and just after, hypnagogia i think you call it? When i'm lying in bed trying to drift off i will have some kinda thought with fairly strong realism that will give me a bit of an adrenaline rush, and keep me from falling asleep for a while. Also there are some things like this upon waking, this morning actually, i dreamt of a flashlight being shined in my face which woke me up prematurely; couldn't remember the rest of the dream or why the flashlight was there.

I'm not quite sure what the condition is or how it arises in people, but if any budding psychologists want to probe, ask away; i studied psychology at A level (UK) and i'm very fond of the sciences, so i wouldn't mind being a guinea pig so to speak if it means it might get us somewhere to solve this thing. All i can say is that I've found quite a few things helpful (i.e. doing them seems to help reduce my symptoms); exercise which involves a lot of focus, reading fiction and trying to visualize the characters (Terry Pratchet was a good start for me), doing chores like gardening in the sun and just letting my mind go empty besides thinking about the gardening, and of course reducing the stress in my life by sorting out files, debts ect one bit at a time.

Thanks for reading if anyone did, i'll really appreciate any feedback :)

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
In my case dreams don't make a difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now that I think about it, my dreams do feel more real than this reality. It's as if the true reality was in the dream, and this reality is the dream. Philosophically speaking, we can neither prove that this is a dream nor that it isnt a dream. I mean for all we know we could be in the matrix. But I have a feeling that we're going to find out the truth in the years to come, definitely within our lifetime.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I usually don't remember my dreams. When I do, I can't remember how I percieved things, because right now I don't have any perception and cannot remember what it was like to percieve things, so even if I do percieve things properly in my dream I won't remember how I percieved things because I don't have any perception or memory of perception. I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, this is my first post, But this "dreams feeling more real than reality" thought really hits home with me. I won't bother to tell you my whole story in this thread but i'll summarize my experiences with sleep.
For most of last year, my DP has been quite severe and I've been trying to deal with it on my own. The first instance of a dream feeling more real than reality was almost like a nightmare for me, it happened a good few months ago.
I was asleep in my house (still living with parents) and a drifted of around 11 or so, i had this dream that was SO incredibly real, of myself walking around my house, everything exactly where it should be, literally none of the appropriate "dreamy" or fantasy illusions, it was just pure realism. I walked downstairs to my mum's room and said hello to her, and in the dream, she responded exactly how she would have in real life, with a "hiya" and a smile she always does. Then i just saw some figure in her room, i said to her "who's that man?" and she just looked at me like i was crazy. Then i woke up with the thought of her staring at me like i was crazy burned into my skull. needless to say i was beyond scared and anxious, but i haven't told anybody since it happened because i didn't want anyone to think i was going insane. This was the first "realism" dream i had, and it was by far the worst. It's so difficult to explain why the dream felt so real, but the thing is, i'm 100% certain that i felt the realness within the dream and it wasn't something i contrived upon waking. It was like picture perfect, and when i got scared in the dream, i could really feel my body actually getting scared, almost like my emotions were attached to me during the dream (not that they shouldn't be? not sure).
Since then I've had a few dreams like this here and there, i can't remember most of them, but i had one where i was helping my friend get his TV or something similar, and another another where i was dreaming of being in my house again (but not as intense). It's difficult to explain, but as others have described, it's like your dreams are picture perfect simulations of life, and when you wake up the real world appears foggy and under-stimulating.
As my current situation stands, i had a bit break down last week, hence why i'm on this forum now. I ended up not being able to sleep at all for 2 days in a row, my mind was just racing, thoughts and thoughts going round, and i ended up just crying to my mum about really personal stuff about our dad (as they broke up when i was young). I went to the doctor to try and talk some of the stuff off my chest, and she just gave me mirtazipan pills (anti-depressants). Took the pills for a couple of days but they made me so drowsy and empty; it felt like the exact opposite of what i needed. I'm not having any trouble getting to sleep anymore, and as for my dreams i can hardly remember them to be honest. My only issue is now just before bed and just after, hypnagogia i think you call it? When i'm lying in bed trying to drift off i will have some kinda thought with fairly strong realism that will give me a bit of an adrenaline rush, and keep me from falling asleep for a while. Also there are some things like this upon waking, this morning actually, i dreamt of a flashlight being shined in my face which woke me up prematurely; couldn't remember the rest of the dream or why the flashlight was there.

I'm not quite sure what the condition is or how it arises in people, but if any budding psychologists want to probe, ask away; i studied psychology at A level (UK) and i'm very fond of the sciences, so i wouldn't mind being a guinea pig so to speak if it means it might get us somewhere to solve this thing. All i can say is that I've found quite a few things helpful (i.e. doing them seems to help reduce my symptoms); exercise which involves a lot of focus, reading fiction and trying to visualize the characters (Terry Pratchet was a good start for me), doing chores like gardening in the sun and just letting my mind go empty besides thinking about the gardening, and of course reducing the stress in my life by sorting out files, debts ect one bit at a time.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hi, I'm sorry if I double replied I just made an account to reply to you but similar things happened to me, after I had an anxiety attack related to thanatophobia a few days ago, I think I developed DP, nothing really feels real anymore and my dreams feel more real than this. But I think forms of anxiety trigger the problems you might be having with your sleep, and honestly I don't think antidepressants work doctors just like to perscribe them so they make more money

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just woke up this morning and thought that maybe my dreams are more real than reality. My dreams, even when they are scary (a couple times a week), make me feel so alive. I'm definitely beginning to think that my 'dream state' is the true place where I belong. The main difference between dreaming and waking is that when I'm dreaming I'm not questioning my existence. I'm totally at ease with everything that is going on. Dream existence is how my life was as a child. It just 'makes sense.' When I wake up though I'm back to wondering what all of this is.
I am in complete agreement, same is happening to me these days at first I was suspecting the medications am on but now I don't understand and to make things worse am getting depressed with reality, i wish to remain in the dream state.... am also scared

21 - 38 of 38 Posts