Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this website. The first thing that I wanted to ask people about was whether or not they have experienced this since they got DP/DR.....My dreams feel more real than reality. They have more vivid colors, I feel more alive in them, I feel more connected to my body, I feel more connected to life itself....then when I wake up I feel like I return to this grey reality that was no where near as real as my dreams. My dreams remind me of the way I felt before I got DP/DR...its like torture in a way...to be reminded of the fact that you used to feel connected to reality !

Has anyone else had this experience? How does it make you feel?

G

·
And welcome to the site!

And forgive me for being short of words, it seems to hit me around this time of night. Uhhh...WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
yes, i know it as well, and for me it is frightening. many times, i don't know if i have already woke up or if i still dream. i often sleep to long in the morning and miss the bus which brings me to work. i dream that i have already stood up and then i am confused if i open my eyes andi'm still in bed. sometimes i ask myself if i am dreaming right now. :-(

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've totally had this, when my dp was feeling dead/numb. I would find I would still be thinking of my dreams from that morning later that evening as they had been so vivd and more real than life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah i said that when i woke up a few days ago. My dreams seem more real than reality. How does that work out?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have more feeling in dreams, more in touch with my body, less dp. It can take a while to sort out the difference from dreams when I wake but I always do know the difference.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not necessarily as you put it, though, I do consider sleep a time of peace, as opposed to the torture of being awake...anyone feel me? :(

·
Registered
672 Posts
rob35235 said:
Not necessarily as you put it, though, I do consider sleep a time of peace, as opposed to the torture of being awake...anyone feel me? :(
i'm 100% with you

G

·
Always fascinated by this question. This has changed over time.

My dreams are always about the same level of DP/DR as when I'm awake. Transition from sleep to wakefulness used to be horrific, but no longer.
I also used to have nightmares where the DP/DR were HORRENDOUS and I have tried so hard to wake up. I am "alive" in the dream, but it is often "dark" and I can't see.

As a teen I had hypnogogic and hypnopompic experiences as well.

Sleep has become an escape, but if I sleep too much it makes me feel lousy when I'm up.

I honestly don't understand how someone can feel "more real" in his/her dreams. However, this just goes to show you the mystery of consciousness, the mystery of sleep and dreams.

Also, I ALWAYS dream. Vivid, complex stories, since a child. In color, with DP/DR vision. And they are frequently "anxiety" dreams ... in the past few years, my dreams are more pleasant and fanciful. It's about time. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I am a psychology student and yet...I have not one single theory on why your dreams would seem more real than reality if you suffer from DP/DR ?
Does anyone have a theory to pose? I am all out of ideas!

Thanks for all your wonderful responses by the way. I think this site is fantastic for people who feel very isolated like those suffering from DP/DR. Really...how much more disconnected can you feel from people when you feel like you can't share the same reality with them? I am glad there is a place for us lonely ducklings on this website! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I get this a lot.
I'll be dreaming and be half asleep then wake up & wonder if I'm awake or if I'm still dreaming.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a theory about why dreams feel more real: maybe it's because we aren't processing the external environment which overexcites our frontal lobe brain area which I've read somewhere is the culprit for keeping us DP'd. We are processing from internally when dreaming, so not too much brain activity. Love those (good) dreams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just woke up this morning and thought that maybe my dreams are more real than reality. My dreams, even when they are scary (a couple times a week), make me feel so alive. I'm definitely beginning to think that my 'dream state' is the true place where I belong. The main difference between dreaming and waking is that when I'm dreaming I'm not questioning my existence. I'm totally at ease with everything that is going on. Dream existence is how my life was as a child. It just 'makes sense.' When I wake up though I'm back to wondering what all of this is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this too. I have been on serotonin medication for two years and i mothly have these periods o have dream more existing than the world i wake up. my vision is not bad, bad i has gone worse from perfect. i´m 27 year old male, IQ ~125. in these vivid dreams, i usually experience themes that are beyond explaining otherwise, than they are applications of my thoughts experienced with very random characters i have met earlier (usually around a week). In these dreams i see details of many kind, that are more real than what i see in the real life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i registered here just to reply to this thread. the original post struck a cord with me, in that that's one perspective I never thought to look at or through. in my case, my dreams are usually very well versed people (a woman mostly) whom i understand to have unfathomable knowledge of realities true nature who in turn explain to me what i already know hoping to awaken me. the reason i started searching online was my latest dream (last night to be exact) was this figure who looked a bit like Terrence Mckenna and Jerry Garcia mixed spoke to me, revealing truths i couldnt understand, until the end when all i remember is asking, "is this what reality looks like?" and the person/figure-head said "if you want it to." a few times at first it was a woman who sadly asked, "isnt it a terrible knowledge to know that everything you know isnt real?" and in another a man appeared in empty black space from a fold of light to reveal truths to me. But, on point, what disturbed me the most was this last dream, where everything was overly realistic, no abstract landscapes, no distant meanings, no nothing, just a room with books and this man explaining to me in a language i cant understand things i only dream to know, and when it came time to ask, i got a very blunt answer. the answer wasnt even that bad, just how real the whole thing seemed. and how gray and bleak my actual life is becoming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this website. The first thing that I wanted to ask people about was whether or not they have experienced this since they got DP/DR.....My dreams feel more real than reality. They have more vivid colors, I feel more alive in them, I feel more connected to my body, I feel more connected to life itself....then when I wake up I feel like I return to this grey reality that was no where near as real as my dreams. My dreams remind me of the way I felt before I got DP/DR...its like torture in a way...to be reminded of the fact that you used to feel connected to reality !

Has anyone else had this experience? How does it make you feel?
YES! Just in the past few weeks I've had dreams where I felt so many emotions when I woke from it, and felt very connected and alive. I was so in love and happy in my dreams (I think I was getting engaged or something) and felt what that felt like for a few minutes after I woke up..but then it goes away. It sucks..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts