Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was diagnosed by my psychiatrist with depersonalization-derealisation syndrome about 5 months ago, but I've been suffering much longer than that. It's gotten very severe and has lead me to cope by means of cutting, alcohol, and generally staying indoors. My psychiatrist has had me on different medications, right now I am on prozac and cymbalta. The medications has helped any anxiety I had, I am never really nervous anymore nor feel any anxiety. However, my DPD is still in full swing and is as debilitating as normal. At least for me, anxiety does not seem to be the trigger for it. I am relatively calm and relaxed on the meds, but still find myself dissociating in a wide variety of situations.

I guess my question/point of discussion is what are the other causes of DPD besides anxiety? (I should also say that I've never had any traumatic events, nor taken any drugs which could have caused the symptoms) My psychiatrist is trying to keep me hopeful with these anti-depressants(or whatever they're called) but the DPD is so painful even without anxiety. What would the next step be? I feel like there is so much about this disease that is undiscovered and thus untreatable. But I don't want to go on like this ya know?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've never subscribed to the theory that anxiety causes dp. IMHO, dp causes anxiety. My personal experience leads me to believe that dp/dr is due to dysfunction in the temporal lobe of the brain. I believe this, because my EEGs

show pathology in the temporal lobe of my brain. I had no symptoms prior to a series of powerful temporal lobe seizures at age 17. Researchers note that the temporal lobe is "exquisitely prone to insult". Recreational drugs target the

functions of the temporal lobe, causing sensory disturbances that some find entertaining. (until they get stuck there). I suppose emotional stress could still fit my theory, as the temporal lobe is the seat of emotions. Why some people

acquire dp for no reason? I have no theory for that. The brain is very complex.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You could always google "diseases that cause depersonalization", but really it can be a product of anything that effects the brain or central nervous system, including infections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts