Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indeed I have a question. I have read many posts here in this forum, in which people tell about suffering bc of introspection and obsessive thoughts. Those two mental functions are thought to intensify DP/DR, and the relief comes when one focuses outward and doesn't give so much power to DP/DR with focusing inward, how one feels, etc. But I have DP/DR without any trace of obsessive thinking, nor I feel having too much introspective thoughts. Instead I just am and live my life - e.g. while I was walking in nature today I observed my surroundings without thinking how I feel/think/experience my surroundings etc. - I just walked there and enjoyed the green trees and the grey-blue sea. However, I'm aware that I use to "shut down" my senses while walking in a crowded city center, as crowded places feel distressing for me - but even that doesn't lead to introspection in my case, I just feel like being a stressful zombie there.

I am puzzled about this as I still feel DP/DR 24/7, and it doesn't go away though I don't give much time to introspection daily. Of course I sometimes ponder and wonder my DP/DR and other mental things, but usually when I'm doing something, e.g. am drawing some new picture, walking in nature or typing this post, I just concentrate on what I'm doing. I do not think about my feelings/thoughts simultaneously. But...I still feel DP/DR, though sometimes - during some rare moments all in a sudden - the invisible icy wall around me seems to melt a little, very little but still that much I notice it. I wonder why this is so - why those moments of clarity happen sometimes, and why mostly I do not feel them though I really focus only on what I'm doing? However, I'm aware all of us are unique so I guess my question may be impossible to answer by anybody else than me...? However, I'd be thankful if any of you had any ideas. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Indeed I have a question. I have read many posts here in this forum, in which people tell about suffering bc of introspection and obsessive thoughts. Those two mental functions are thought to intensify DP/DR, and the relief comes when one focuses outward and doesn't give so much power to DP/DR with focusing inward, how one feels, etc. But I have DP/DR without any trace of obsessive thinking, nor I feel having too much introspective thoughts. Instead I just am and live my life - e.g. while I was walking in nature today I observed my surroundings without thinking how I feel/think/experience my surroundings etc. - I just walked there and enjoyed the green trees and the grey-blue sea. However, I'm aware that I use to "shut down" my senses while walking in a crowded city center, as crowded places feel distressing for me - but even that doesn't lead to introspection in my case, I just feel like being a stressful zombie there.

I am puzzled about this as I still feel DP/DR 24/7, and it doesn't go away though I don't give much time to introspection daily. Of course I sometimes ponder and wonder my DP/DR and other mental things, but usually when I'm doing something, e.g. am drawing some new picture, walking in nature or typing this post, I just concentrate on what I'm doing. I do not think about my feelings/thoughts simultaneously. But...I still feel DP/DR, though sometimes - during some rare moments all in a sudden - the invisible icy wall around me seems to melt a little, very little but still that much I notice it. I wonder why this is so - why those moments of clarity happen sometimes, and why mostly I do not feel them though I really focus only on what I'm doing? However, I'm aware all of us are unique so I guess my question may be impossible to answer by anybody else than me...? However, I'd be thankful if any of you had any ideas. :)

G

·
My experience has been that when I was suffering greatly, the ruminating and obsessive thoughts where unstoppable. When I started to feel a bit better, everything stilled looked like a dream, but it didn't bother me as much. I just started to go on with life and try to keep in mind that this too shall pass. And, thankfully, it did! Of all my symptoms after the baby was born, the dreamlike feeling, the fog...was the last thing to go.

Carla

G

·
My experience has been that when I was suffering greatly, the ruminating and obsessive thoughts where unstoppable. When I started to feel a bit better, everything stilled looked like a dream, but it didn't bother me as much. I just started to go on with life and try to keep in mind that this too shall pass. And, thankfully, it did! Of all my symptoms after the baby was born, the dreamlike feeling, the fog...was the last thing to go.

Carla

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! Cynthia, I was relieved after reading your post, as sometimes I have wondered am I the only one here in this forum, who doesn't suffer from obsessive and/or introspective thinking. Now I don't feel so out of place here. I would like to know why this is so, why do I feel just DP/DR and nothing else? But well - I guess it may be very difficult to find answers to that question. At least I'm glad DP/DR doesn't bother me much anymore, though my invisible isolating icy wall is still here 24/7. I guess it is the conquest of depression, which has helped me to accept my life like it appears every day. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! Cynthia, I was relieved after reading your post, as sometimes I have wondered am I the only one here in this forum, who doesn't suffer from obsessive and/or introspective thinking. Now I don't feel so out of place here. I would like to know why this is so, why do I feel just DP/DR and nothing else? But well - I guess it may be very difficult to find answers to that question. At least I'm glad DP/DR doesn't bother me much anymore, though my invisible isolating icy wall is still here 24/7. I guess it is the conquest of depression, which has helped me to accept my life like it appears every day. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts