Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can confidently say that I suffer from rather severe DPDR. The derealization makes me feel like I am blind but not at the same time; Its like their is a robotic-computational part of me that knows how to interact with the world, but within my awareness looking at the world feels the same as looking at a blank sheet of paper. And the depersonalization is so unsettling; the amount of detachment I feel from myself is indescribable, I feel like my consciousness was incarnated into this human suit one second ago and all "my" memories have been implanted into my head (of course I know intellectually this isn't true) . Recently I've been plagued with existential questions as well. Being existential in a state of DPDR is like pouring gasoline on a fire. I literally don't understand the concept of human beings, or desires, or personalities, it all doesn't make any sense. Everything is so disturbingly arbitrary and hollow in this state,. Its hard for me to remember that at it's core, this is merely just a form of suffering; that is to say this nihilistic and meaningless perception of reality doesn't mean anything, it isnt the one true and transcendental way of looking at things. I try to grasp that idea, that I am just suffering, but I can't, this perception feels too real.

Anyways, despite all that, I am astonished that I can still feel emotions, and I have no blank mind whatsoever. That's kind of what I find fascinating about this disorder. Of course, neurologically there has been connections made within the emotional regulation of the brain and the disorder. But at the same time, emotions don't seem to be inextricably affected by it, at least in my experience. I have had days where I experience just as much positive emotions as I have before I had this disorder, even though throughout the whole day I felt like I didn't exist. Lately though things have been worse, with the existential questioning and all, which has made me feel a bit more "dead", and with the progression of my disorder, I fear that the DPDR will get so severe that it will surpass my threshold of being able to still have genuine feelings, but time will tell.

So I guess what point im making is, DPDR can be pretty severe, but yet one can still manage to experience some emotions in this state. So I would argue that while they are related, fundamentally, emotional anhedonia and especially blank mind are distinct disorders from DPDR.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can confidently say that I suffer from rather severe DPDR. The derealization makes me feel like I am blind but not at the same time; Its like their is a robotic-computational part of me that knows how to interact with the world, but within my awareness looking at the world feels the same as looking at a blank sheet of paper. And the depersonalization is so unsettling; the amount of detachment I feel from myself is indescribable, I feel like my consciousness was incarnated into this human suit one second ago and all "my" memories have been implanted into my head (of course I know intellectually this isn't true) . Recently I've been plagued with existential questions as well. Being existential in a state of DPDR is like pouring gasoline on a fire. I literally don't understand the concept of human beings, or desires, or personalities, it all doesn't make any sense. Everything is so disturbingly arbitrary and hollow in this state,. Its hard for me to remember that at it's core, this is merely just a form of suffering; that is to say this nihilistic and meaningless perception of reality doesn't mean anything, it isnt the one true and transcendental way of looking at things. I try to grasp that idea, that I am just suffering, but I can't, this perception feels too real.

Anyways, despite all that, I am astonished that I can still feel emotions, and I have no blank mind whatsoever. That's kind of what I find fascinating about this disorder. Of course, neurologically there has been connections made within the emotional regulation of the brain and the disorder. But at the same time, emotions don't seem to be inextricably affected by it, at least in my experience. I have had days where I experience just as much positive emotions as I have before I had this disorder, even though throughout the whole day I felt like I didn't exist. Lately though things have been worse, with the existential questioning and all, which has made me feel a bit more "dead", and with the progression of my disorder, I fear that the DPDR will get so severe that it will surpass my threshold of being able to still have genuine feelings, but time will tell.

So I guess what point im making is, DPDR can be pretty severe, but yet one can still manage to experience some emotions in this state. So I would argue that while they are related, fundamentally, emotional anhedonia and especially blank mind are distinct disorders from DPDR.
yeah in my case i can also feel emotions and have not a blank mind. i just wanted to make myself hope because this are maybe the more recoverable case.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yeah in my case i can also feel emotions and have not a blank mind. i just wanted to make myself hope because this are maybe the more recoverable case.
Yeah from what I gather I think you will be fine. I personally think if you have recovered before that makes it more likely that you will recover again, even if its worse the second time. It seems to me that your disorder is very anxiety related, meaning that your DPDR is very treatable and more transient. I think your biggest problem is that you seem to worry about the disorder too much, just except for now and keep on keeping on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts