Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
So lately I’ve been experiencing a lot more depersonalisation than I usually do. So far I’ve only really had issues with derealisation so this feels quite foreign to me. The symptoms so far are what I think regular, such as not recognising myself in the mirror or thoughts, feeling like I’m in a strangers body etc. But I guess what I’m scared of is the fact that combined with this I feel as if my personality has changed a lot. I find myself not acting at all like I’ve always had, and my mood switches so much. Suddenly I’ll get irritated and snap at anyone around me for literally nothing. I just can’t relate at all to my emotions and no matter if I’m alone or with others I feel super weird. I was just wondering if this is actually normal while experiencing dp or if I have some other disorder? I’m afraid I have like BPD or Bipolar disorder, or even a brain tumour. I guess I just need some reassurance if this is normal or not, the whole change of personality thing.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
I can confirm having those symptoms, as for me DP was exactly what the name says: DE-personalization. The terrible sense of having no person inside of the body. Or having a changed personality.

It is possible, however, to have other conditions besides DP. And actually I will use the opportunity to say that we can all be talking about different things here. I was actually dx with DPDR, as in Depersonalization and derealization disorder. Some people may be feeling depersonalized for other reasons. My condition was among dissociative conditions for most part caused by developmental trauma, so it was possible to treat it with trauma-oriented therapy.

Share your concerns with your therapist, if you continue to wonder. They should be able to discern if there is anything else going on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts