Memory Problems117.28%
Self Analysis2617.22%
Two dimensional views of your surroundings127.95%
Witnessing ones own actions as if in a film or on a TV programme3019.87%

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please rate what you'd consider to be the most debilitating symptom of DP/DR.

This is by no means a concise list; in fact I?m certain that some symptoms listed are secondary to others. But hey, it?s a start. Perhaps some body can come up with something a little more defining.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please rate what you'd consider to be the most debilitating symptom of DP/DR.

This is by no means a concise list; in fact I?m certain that some symptoms listed are secondary to others. But hey, it?s a start. Perhaps some body can come up with something a little more defining.

G

·
Most debilitating symptom is feeling unreal, me, my surroundings, everything I experience, as if its all not really happening, as if living in a dream.

G

·
Most debilitating symptom is feeling unreal, me, my surroundings, everything I experience, as if its all not really happening, as if living in a dream.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i hate the feeling of watching myself doing things, i sometimes see my own face its like having an out of body experience, tieing the kids shoelaces is hell

·
Registered
749 Posts
i hate the feeling of watching myself doing things, i sometimes see my own face its like having an out of body experience, tieing the kids shoelaces is hell

·
Registered
48 Posts
for me it is the viewing of oneself as if i am in like a show/movie, not in control of my own actions, the "out of body experiences" so looking in the mirror is generally not a good idea - but i am pretty ugly anyhow so its not too bad trying to avoid my reflection, lol. not viewing objects in the world with a sense of depth would come in next probably.

·
Registered
48 Posts
for me it is the viewing of oneself as if i am in like a show/movie, not in control of my own actions, the "out of body experiences" so looking in the mirror is generally not a good idea - but i am pretty ugly anyhow so its not too bad trying to avoid my reflection, lol. not viewing objects in the world with a sense of depth would come in next probably.

G

·
That about sums it up for me too. I was going to vote "anxiety" but then realized that this causes the anxiety. If "unreality" were not there, anxiety would not be either.

G

·
That about sums it up for me too. I was going to vote "anxiety" but then realized that this causes the anxiety. If "unreality" were not there, anxiety would not be either.

G

·
Yep, that was my answer, too...sc. And I chose "self analysis" because while not really "analyzing self" I was obsessed with Watching self, monitoring self, holding self this side of sanity, keeping check on how sane I felt now as opposed to three seconds ago, etc.
Unable to do ANYthing, unable to live for one minute without those thoughts, it ruined my daily life.

G

·
Yep, that was my answer, too...sc. And I chose "self analysis" because while not really "analyzing self" I was obsessed with Watching self, monitoring self, holding self this side of sanity, keeping check on how sane I felt now as opposed to three seconds ago, etc.
Unable to do ANYthing, unable to live for one minute without those thoughts, it ruined my daily life.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a million reasons why DP and DR are so overwhelming for me. But out of this list I wanted to choose 2 that are equally miserable symptoms:

- Disembodiment (Limbs feeling like they aren?t your own)
- Two dimensional views of your surroundings

And I also connect with this description:

When I was younger I used to dwell on the existential, and a fear of "disappearing" -- being only a thought, the only thought in existence, and I frequently felt that way.

And I may be splitting hairs -- eyepoke time :) -- but I see my self-consciousness, over analytical side as part of my GAD. DP/DR to me are very specific symptoms having to do with perceptual distortion. My thinking patterns I see as having a source in the constellation of symptoms in GAD.

Best,
D :shock:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have a million reasons why DP and DR are so overwhelming for me. But out of this list I wanted to choose 2 that are equally miserable symptoms:

- Disembodiment (Limbs feeling like they aren?t your own)
- Two dimensional views of your surroundings

And I also connect with this description:

When I was younger I used to dwell on the existential, and a fear of "disappearing" -- being only a thought, the only thought in existence, and I frequently felt that way.

And I may be splitting hairs -- eyepoke time :) -- but I see my self-consciousness, over analytical side as part of my GAD. DP/DR to me are very specific symptoms having to do with perceptual distortion. My thinking patterns I see as having a source in the constellation of symptoms in GAD.

Best,

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I still see DP as a symptom not a disorder in and of itself. And I'm not sure if it is a sub-symptom (if there is such a word) of anxiety and other mental illness, or some odd symptom that tags along with mental illness in general.

But I don't see DP occuring in a vacuum. I see it as a PART of a group of symptoms. One can have anxiety without DP. And Primary DP exists alone w/out anxiety, etc. but seems to be very rare.

This from the Merck Manual, not as good a description as the DSM-IV

Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Excessive, almost daily, anxiety and worry for >= 6 mo about a number of activities or events.

Generalized anxiety disorder is common, affecting 3 to 5% of the population within a 1-yr period. Women are twice as likely to be affected as men. The disorder often begins in childhood or adolescence but may begin at any age.

Symptoms and Signs
The anxiety and worry are so great that they are difficult to control. The severity, frequency, or duration of the worry greatly exceeds what the situation, if it should occur, warrants.

[I have been a worry wort/wart? like this since I was a child]

The focus of the worry is not restricted as it is in other psychiatric disorders (eg, to having a panic attack, being embarrassed in public, or being contaminated). Common worries include work responsibilities, money, health, safety, car repairs, and chores. A person with this disorder must also experience three or more of the following symptoms: restlessness, unusual fatigability, difficulty concentrating, irritability, muscle tension, and disturbed sleep. The course is usually fluctuating and chronic, with worsening during stress.

Best,

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I still see DP as a symptom not a disorder in and of itself. And I'm not sure if it is a sub-symptom (if there is such a word) of anxiety and other mental illness, or some odd symptom that tags along with mental illness in general.

But I don't see DP occuring in a vacuum. I see it as a PART of a group of symptoms. One can have anxiety without DP. And Primary DP exists alone w/out anxiety, etc. but seems to be very rare.

This from the Merck Manual, not as good a description as the DSM-IV

Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Excessive, almost daily, anxiety and worry for >= 6 mo about a number of activities or events.

Generalized anxiety disorder is common, affecting 3 to 5% of the population within a 1-yr period. Women are twice as likely to be affected as men. The disorder often begins in childhood or adolescence but may begin at any age.

Symptoms and Signs
The anxiety and worry are so great that they are difficult to control. The severity, frequency, or duration of the worry greatly exceeds what the situation, if it should occur, warrants.

[I have been a worry wort/wart? like this since I was a child]

The focus of the worry is not restricted as it is in other psychiatric disorders (eg, to having a panic attack, being embarrassed in public, or being contaminated). Common worries include work responsibilities, money, health, safety, car repairs, and chores. A person with this disorder must also experience three or more of the following symptoms: restlessness, unusual fatigability, difficulty concentrating, irritability, muscle tension, and disturbed sleep. The course is usually fluctuating and chronic, with worsening during stress.

Best,

G

·
It's not even fun to poke you in the eye anymore because you don't have the Cyclops emoticon to provide a visual display of it, lol

No poking anyway, but I think you made a very important distinction.

The overanalyzing you're talking about is I agree, a component of GAD. (I know Dreamer very well, so I know what she's talking about here: obsessing over life situations, the future, what she said, should have said, didn't say, might have said, etc.)

ANd I certainly can get into that myself from time to time.

But what I meant in my answer in the poll was for me a huge component of the dp experience itself. My entire mental thought process was centered around Surreality - not worrying about anything IN this world, but obsessed with concepts and highly disturbing ideas about the universe, my own existence, life/death, was I real, had I invented the entire world, etc. Thoughts that WERE literally delusional, and I had enough sanity to know they were delusional at least in the sense of knowing to keep them to myself. But underneath my sanity, I secretly entertained them as if they WERE true. I was living in a state of disavowed reality, where Reality and Fantasy were equally viable. A split in cognitive consciousness that equalled my dp state of altered consciousness.

Had I suffered from what were the purely physical aspects (the separation of body parts, the dissolution of my body from it's "container", feelings of wafting off in space, etc.) that would have been horrible ENOUGH. But on top of it, at my worst, I was constantly, every single hour, debating the validity of the reality I saw with my own senses.

And now that I'm well, all that is totally gone. I still have all kinds of neurotic issues, grin....and heck, even the other day I was in a pressure situation, an interview and was sweating and feeling like I might drop dead, loll...(the stakes were VERY high, the anxiety was warranted!) But those are "normal" fears around Normal stakes. The greatest horror for me all those years was living an existence that precluded the real world.
Peace,
Janine

1 - 20 of 36 Posts