Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have had DP and anxiety for about 10 years. Relatively manageable at this stage. Started back in therapy with a therapist who specializes in dissociative disorders and she thinks I'm a "unique" case because my symptoms were not brought on by trauma. I think my symptoms root is in fear of death and other existential things. Have tried weed a long time ago but no drug use since for the last 10 years.

Anyone else have similar lack of trauma?

Thanks for reading,

Neil

·
Registered
818 Posts
I used to think this was the case for me. After quite a bit of therapy I realised there is most likely trauma involved for me. A lot of trauma. Or I have gone nuts and am imagining it all. My family deny my memories even though I am certain some are true... I am sure these memories are correct, although now I have remembered things and pieced them together I am starting to wish I hadn't. You would be surprised how your brain can repress memories, and how many of them. This is my problem I think. my brain is blocking out memories that send it into fight or flight... so I am stuck in freeze response in a dream like state

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't have any trauma, but one doctor I spoke with who looked at my brain map said that I have the brain of someone who has experienced trauma. Maybe DP sufferers just have extra sensitive brains.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My psychologist also said that it must be trauma. But I don't have any event that I consider traumatic. The therapy for it didn't help at all.

I think it's wrong to assume that all dp/dr sufferers have either anxiety or trauma as the trigger. We're lumped all together and that doesn't help with treatment. Some of us don't even have the same symptoms either. like I don't feel my body looks weird, I don't have problems with lights or see any snow or bursts, I don't have racing thoughts instead my brain is empty, and no anxiety just total emotional numbness. I tried anxiety induced dp treatment but it didn't work. I don't even know if there's treatment for mykind of dp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts