Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have been thinking about Dp/dr for 6 months now every minute of the day, wouldn't that make it some form of OCD? I mean I'm just here thinking because I don't know how I am ever going to get better if this is all I think about all day long and obsessing about how horrific I feel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My therapist has told me that there is definitely some obsessive behaviours recognisable in me. She said it is like a form of OCD because you obsess over what you're thinking and feeling and why you are thinking and feeling these things without necessarily outwardly showing compulsive behaviours.

·
Administrator
942 Posts
My therapist has told me that there is definitely some obsessive behaviours recognisable in me. She said it is like a form of OCD because you obsess over what you're thinking and feeling and why you are thinking and feeling these things without necessarily outwardly showing compulsive behaviours.
I think that's a pretty good way of describing it!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
OCD goes hand in hand with DP and anxiety...There are many different behaviours and thinking patterns associated with OCD...

Some people are obsessed with clenliness, some obsessed with going cray, some obsessed with developing cancer....Others check things obsessively, count things obsessively etc etc etc....

Its basically an anxiety side effect...

OCD is more a symptom of DP rather than DP being a form of OCD

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OCD goes hand in hand with DP and anxiety...There are many different behaviours and thinking patterns associated with OCD...

Some people are obsessed with clenliness, some obsessed with going cray, some obsessed with developing cancer....Others check things obsessively, count things obsessively etc etc etc....

Its basically an anxiety side effect...

OCD is more a symptom of DP rather than DP being a form of OCD
So because it's a symptom of Dp it can't really be fix with a pill?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know some who thought they had DP but it was their OCD that caused the DP.

I think my DP is caused by my autism+OCD. Having autism and OCD is apparently one of the absolute worst combinations :/

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
OCD / DP..........DP / OCD

Which came first ? The chicken or the egg ?

In a way the obsessive side of DP is a thinking type of obsessivness (Others call it Rumination) Basically its disturbing crap going round and round in your head...Its very much like when a person gets a song stuck in their head...

We just happen to ruminate about extremely unsettling stuff (Thanks DP!!!) LOL

I actually dont think that people who dont suffer with anxiety can develop OCD...Its a coping mechanism...Its a way to escape feeling uneasy...

Of course unfortunately us DP sufferers cant turn the damn thinking off even for a while....

The analogy I often used with shrinks or therapists was that my brain was a vinyl record playing and the needle was stuck in a groove playing the same part over and over....If only something or somebody would lift or bump the needle a bit further forward...

·
Registered
54 Posts
True OCD is a neurological brain disorder and therefore not just a coping mechanism. I agree that most DPDers suffer from OCD like symptoms but for a subset of peopleit's the other way around, the OCD is the underlying problem that causes the DP. I have had OCD since I was 3 years old and have had every single symptom you can name. I, as well, suffer from BDD, which is considered to be a Obsessive Compulsive related disorders, a cousin of OCD. Thankfully, Luvox has got me rid of 90 % of the OCD.

Sascha ;-)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Spot on saschasascha
I have ocd always have since a child im now 33 , ocd use to be considered a anxiety disorder but its now consided a neurological brain disorder.

It's even moved out of the dsm anxiety disorders part into its own section .

In all honesty ocd for me is worse then dr dp because when the ocd hits me hard im at a point were i cant function , im very unwell and the scariest part of ocd to me is i just can't stop the compulsion that im doing .
It's horrid i hate ocd it has ruined my life and made me very sick at times .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts