Depersonalization Support Forum banner

DP/DR Does not exist without anxiety

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  mozdinc 
#1 ·
So many people are wondering what is causing their strange feelings of DP/DR and I can tell you now that the condition is born out of anxiety and you can never have DP/DR without anxiety but you can have anxiety without the DP/DR.

In the UK, not far from where I live in London, there is a DP/DR research clinic. I believe it to be one of the only ones in the country.

They informed me that they focus on eliminating the anxiety before there think of going down any other route.

I have to tell you that you WON'T always be this way, you WILL get better and when you do, you will go back to a life as before and you will forget what it was even like to have DP/DR.

If you are going through hell...........keep going!

#2 ·
So many people are wondering what is causing their strange feelings of DP/DR and I can tell you now that the condition is born out of anxiety and you can never have DP/DR without anxiety but you can have anxiety without the DP/DR.

In the UK, not far from where I live in London, there is a DP/DR research clinic. I believe it to be one of the only ones in the country.

They informed me that they focus on eliminating the anxiety before there think of going down any other route.

I have to tell you that you WON'T always be this way, you WILL get better and when you do, you will go back to a life as before and you will forget what it was even like to have DP/DR.

Why would they say they treat anxiety before going any other route if according to you there is no other route at all? It seems you are contradicting yourself. Elaine Hunter herself (who directed that clinic you are talking about) says in one of her books that a person can keep experiencing DPDR even after their panic attacks have been treated and have stopped, and this is what is called DPDR disorder. There are many scientific articles about primary DPDR written by professional researchers.
"I can tell you now that the condition is born out of anxiety and you can never have DP/DR without anxiety ". What are your credentials to say that? Your own experience of your own unique DPDR?
"I have to tell you that you WON'T always be this way". How do you know? Did god come to tell you directly? Or maybe you are his son? Please don't pretend you know better than others, especially without any argument, we are all equal.

#3 ·
Wow. You’re so annoying, not everybody is going to agree with your outlook on depersonalization. As per your opinion, you are greatly outnumbered. You’re making complexities in your argument about the checkable “evidence” of something, like you want to see it on paper. Many of us have seen our anxiety correspond with DP. Take your ramblings elsewhere

#9 ·
I am very interested in the connection between Anxiety and DP/DR. There are smart people on both sides of the argument, so it’s hard to know who is correct.

From my experience, I believe DP/DR is connected to the anxiety issues I’ve struggled with for the last 12 years. I say this because when DP/DR came onto the scene, my panic disorder went away, and DP/DR became the predominant thing. If DP/DR was a separate thing, then wouldn’t I be experiencing them both?

I also think it’s possible my DP/DR is a form of Pure OCD. I’ve seen people on here talk about that, and I tend to think that’s a possible explanation for a lot of sufferers on here. I’m constantly doing “rituals” in my head to see how I react to the thoughts related to DP/DR. Sometimes the rituals result in positive feelings, and other times it creates negative feelings. That’s textbook Pure OCD. I guess it’s possible that my DP/DR and OCD are separate things and are just working in tandem, but I don’t believe that’s the case.

Another reason I think DP/DR is anxiety related is because it behaves the same way as every anxiety issue I’ve ever had. For example, it’s made worse by caffeine. Every anxiety problem I’ve had was always exacerbated by consuming large amounts of caffeine. Another example is that it always gets better at night. All of my different anxiety issues have always been way more manageable at night time. Another example is I will have stints of relief throughout the day. That also happened with the various anxiety problems I’ve had.

#15 ·

But that doesn’t apply to me.My dr happens from out of nowhere. I can be watching a movie, completely relaxed. Or going for a walk, enjoying the scenery.

#16 ·
yeah but it does apply to almost everybody with dpd. do you want a special personal professor?

#18 ·
In response to OP, I don’t see any reason to conclude that DPDR is always the consequence of anxiety, or that if you continue to experience DPDR it is only because you continue to engage in anxious thinking. Unless, of course, that is how the condition is defined by the professionals, in which case the claim that DPDR is always a product of anxiety is only a tautology.

There are several organic illnesses that are known to result in a chronic DPDR experience, as many on this site have noted. I’m sure in some of those cases the DPDR is not a direct result of the illness, but rather an anxious response due to the illness, but I don’t think it can be ruled out that for many of those people, the DPDR is a direct consequence of the condition, and is not produced or fueled by his mental state.

#19 ·
I started off with OCD, got to a point of recovery with that, took mdma became disassociated, when my DR got really bad my OCD just kind of vanished, after 2 years i started to pull out of DR and mainly experience dp which faded to me recovering after 6 months of what i would call complete recovery at the time i became anxious again and regained OCD 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.