Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a quick introduction, my name is Bryn, and I have had DP/DR since I was nine. I have no freaking clue how it began, it just one day appeared, and ever sense, I've had it. It's really frightening, and for three years I had no clue what was going on to me. Over the summer I spent the nights researching my problem, because it scared the heck out of me. I knew I wasn't going crazy, but I knew there was a problem with me that needed to be fixed. I was(still am, actually)only twelve, and basically my whole year was wasted on fear, confusion, and annoyance.

I finally found Derealization(which seemed to fit what I had more then Depersonalization), and a little part of me was happy. However, over the months it has been getting worse.

I have read lots of articles on how to rid myself of this DR, but I usually see the same thing appearing in articles about maybe why you have your DP/DR- drinking and smoking(don't do that yet, so that's not my problem), having a devsasting disaster in your life(loss of a loved one, car accident, etc) which has not happened to me, thank God, taking drugs(don't do that), high anxiety levels(which, as far as I'm concerned, I don't really have much of. Sure, I get nervous now and then, but not anxious like you people), unsocialization was another(I get out of the house a lot, doesn't seem to be my problem), tiredness(could be why I get it, but I get ten hours of sleep each night), and I forget the rest. But those are the things that kept appearing in articles about how you get your DR/DP.

I've also read if you can fix one of those problems and get over them, in time, your DP problem will go away. However, I can't get my DP to go away, because those things I just listed above are things that I don't do/haven't happened to me. Or at least I'm not aware of are happening to me.

So I guess I have some questions for your more excpirenced people:

How the heck do I cure myself of this? I don't just want to 'hang in there and wait it out' for my DP to go away, nuh uh. Is it possible to just randomly get DP/DR, without a reason? I read a research done a couple months ago online stating that DP/DR can be caused on its own without a trigger(though I've doubted that.) Is it true, though? Is DP/DR a standalone problem? Are there any mehtods that I should try to help myself? I don't quite want to try medication yet(as I said, I'm young and the type of medication that is available for me has some scary side affects), so can anyone list any methods for me to help myself? I'm pretty scared right now, and I've had to waste my last two years learning to grow up faster and go through lots of fear, trying to deal with this. I'd rather not waste the rest of my life trying to battle this, I just want it gone.

So yeah, it's late at night for me and I can't sleep, and I just needed to get these questions off my mind. So please reply/comment whatever? Thank you :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know if it's necessarily possible to get Depersonalization randomly; usually there is a form of trigger, there is something underlying that is making you feel that way. Search for some traumatic events, emotional/physical abuse or something along the lines of depression. What happened when you first got dissociated? Sometimes people can stay up all night then randomly become dissociated from reality - the fear of that event, the confusion of it, is enough to keep someone in dissociation for quite awhile.

Derealization/Depersonalization usually are not standalone problems - there's a trigger, like I said, something that clicks in your mind and puts you in that place. Some people have underlying anxiety, some people have underlying trauma - sometimes all the problems are subconscious. I would say you should look into forms of Exposure Therapy or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - it definitely couldn't hurt at this point, and CBT is supposed to help with maladaptive behaviors and emotions.

Some methods that could be used instead of medications? The therapies I had stated above should most certainly help; heck, maybe even a simple talk therapist would be able to help you out. Tell him/her how you are feeling, why you are feeling that way and they have questions/tests that allow them to figure out what could possibly cause your dissociation.

People may have a different input than myself, but those are the things that helped me - seeing therapists and talking about my problems. When I first went to my therapist, I thought I was absolutely fine, just a little stressed out - figured out that I'm Co-Dependent, Emotionally Manipulative and have Manic Depression. I'm not saying that you'll have those same problems, but sometimes people just don't know what's wrong with them and it takes a second opinion to really get down to the crux of the issue.
Thankyou! Sorry it took me a while to reply.

I am starting talk therapy again, even if it didn't work before, and I'm starting on Lexapro. I'm very hopeful that it will start to gradually go away and I can get my life back. Has it gone away for you, or do you feel like you still have it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts