Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST WANTED OTHER PEOPLES OPINION ON WHETHER U SHOULD DRIVE WITH DP OR NOT. I AM ONLY ASKING BECAUSE WHEN I FIRST GOT ILL I WAS TOLD UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD I DRIVE, THIS TOOK EVERYTHING AWAY FROM ME, MADE ME FEEL EVEN MORE WORTHLESS SO AFTER 6 MONTHS OF NOT DRIVING I GOT BACK BEHIND THE WHEEL. I FIND THAT I CAN DRIVE FINE, IF ANYTHING HAVING THE DP MAKES ME FOCUS MORE ON THE ROAD AND WHAT I AM DOING AND PROBABLY MAKES ME A SAFER DRIVER. JUST WONDERED WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JUST WANTED OTHER PEOPLES OPINION ON WHETHER U SHOULD DRIVE WITH DP OR NOT. I AM ONLY ASKING BECAUSE WHEN I FIRST GOT ILL I WAS TOLD UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD I DRIVE, THIS TOOK EVERYTHING AWAY FROM ME, MADE ME FEEL EVEN MORE WORTHLESS SO AFTER 6 MONTHS OF NOT DRIVING I GOT BACK BEHIND THE WHEEL. I FIND THAT I CAN DRIVE FINE, IF ANYTHING HAVING THE DP MAKES ME FOCUS MORE ON THE ROAD AND WHAT I AM DOING AND PROBABLY MAKES ME A SAFER DRIVER. JUST WONDERED WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i agree with you. i'm fine driving

·
Registered
723 Posts
i agree with you. i'm fine driving

·
Registered
258 Posts
I get a little flustered and spaced out sometimes, but its never put me in a dangerous situation. Keep driving, you dont want to be taking any more liberties away from yourself at this time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I get a little flustered and spaced out sometimes, but its never put me in a dangerous situation. Keep driving, you dont want to be taking any more liberties away from yourself at this time.

G

·
I'm so glad Dreamcatcher that you are able to drive.
It's so important we keep involved with life as much as possible.

I had great difficulty driving for awhile,in fact I just couldn't do it.

Great to hear that your dp has not taken away something that many people feel is a big part of their independence.Particularly for those of us who live in small towns or rural areas.

Cheers Shelly :D

G

·
I'm so glad Dreamcatcher that you are able to drive.
It's so important we keep involved with life as much as possible.

I had great difficulty driving for awhile,in fact I just couldn't do it.

Great to hear that your dp has not taken away something that many people feel is a big part of their independence.Particularly for those of us who live in small towns or rural areas.

Cheers Shelly :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drove professionally full time with major DP/DR. My humble opinion is that people with DP or DR are just as capable drivers. You take the same precautions as you would if you were not DP/DR. That simple. In fact, I would be a bit concerned if someone didn't drive because of DP/DR. And look at the bright side. If you get in an accident you're already DP/DR anyway. (haha I make funny).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I drove professionally full time with major DP/DR. My humble opinion is that people with DP or DR are just as capable drivers. You take the same precautions as you would if you were not DP/DR. That simple. In fact, I would be a bit concerned if someone didn't drive because of DP/DR. And look at the bright side. If you get in an accident you're already DP/DR anyway. (haha I make funny).

G

·
Dear Doctor,I am not a professional driver.I'd say I'm less than average,still can't parallel park.

Sometimes I used to be so freaked out when driving because I was so freaked out with dp.
Honestly I came a tad close to having minor accidents.
I do think there are times when for some of us our concentration is just not good enough.
It's best to limit driving to the local store or leave the car in the garage.

It took me months to pluck up the courage to get behind the wheel again and it wasn't until I started taking klonopin that my fear eased back some.

Sometimes I still wonder how the heck I get back home.

I guess driving is another individual aspect of living with dp.

Keep your hands on the wheel......................
Happy driving folks

G

·
Dear Doctor,I am not a professional driver.I'd say I'm less than average,still can't parallel park.

Sometimes I used to be so freaked out when driving because I was so freaked out with dp.
Honestly I came a tad close to having minor accidents.
I do think there are times when for some of us our concentration is just not good enough.
It's best to limit driving to the local store or leave the car in the garage.

It took me months to pluck up the courage to get behind the wheel again and it wasn't until I started taking klonopin that my fear eased back some.

Sometimes I still wonder how the heck I get back home.

I guess driving is another individual aspect of living with dp.

Keep your hands on the wheel......................
Happy driving folks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hiya,

What a great topic! I have been trying to pass my driving test here in the UK for going on 3 years now! My latest Driving Instructor says I am a "...good little driver." However, I have sat 4 tests and to no avail. I have booked another but it is costing me a fortune.

I don't get overly nervous or anything, I guess its just a case of having DP. Has anyone else struggled to pass their test?

Love Jacqueline

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hiya,

What a great topic! I have been trying to pass my driving test here in the UK for going on 3 years now! My latest Driving Instructor says I am a "...good little driver." However, I have sat 4 tests and to no avail. I have booked another but it is costing me a fortune.

I don't get overly nervous or anything, I guess its just a case of having DP. Has anyone else struggled to pass their test?

Love Jacqueline

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.